VeggieBoards banner

Sleep problems since going vegan, and dealing with gas

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AmeliaAshar 
#1 ·
Since going full on plant-based whole foods a year and half ago I have had trouble sleeping (average sleep score is 60-70). I have been trying to troubleshoot this for the past month or so and finally hit on something: gas might be a big part of the problem. I tested this out by taking a Gas-X pill before bedtime and what do you know, for the past week and half my sleeps have been far more restful and sleep scores are now in the 80's. What this says is that my digestive systems are not working as well as I would like with all the plants and fiber and the gas is waking and keeping me up.

I don't want to keep taking Gas-X for the long-term (or Beano) so I am looking for suggestions that can help me reduce gas and thus sleep better. I already soak my beans well, I am trying to eat slowly and chew my food as well as possible, I don't eat late, I keep my sugar and fats low, but I think I need an enzyme supplement of some sort to take to help me along. Are there any great options out there that you would recommend? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
How much beans are you eating? I think I normally eat 2 cups (cooked) each day- maybe 3 sometimes. This would amount to from 1 to 1-and-a-half cups, dry, before soaking, rinsing, and cooking. Beans can be embarrassingly gassy, yes (I speak from experience- sometimes I get up and leave a room when I feel it coming on), but gas has never kept me awake.

My diet does include a lot of fiber (vegetables and fruits- especially leafy vegetables). It's also quite grain-heavy, although I eat refined grains (white bread or white rice) about as often as whole-grain.

A thought: after soaking your beans, do you discard the soaking water and then rinse them?

#5 ·
I've read that you should always soak beans and dispose of the water and then in cooking, give them a good fifteen minute boil before simmering to softness. You're trying to cut down the amount of lectins which can permeate the lining of your digestive tract and make it difficult for you to absorb nutrients.

#3 ·
have you not thought about quitting legumes and beans ?
quit the beans and legumes for a few weeks and see if it helps.

of course, you may have an underlying problem,,, get a test for H-Pylori... (a stubborn bacteria that lives in the stomach lining, which produces a lot of gas).

also: make your own Water Kefir (because it contains dozens of strains of friendly bacteria).

excess gas could be a simple imbalance of bacterial flora in your gut.
so avoid foods which feed bad bacteria and focus on foods which feed the good bacteria.
(you can google a list of such foods).

if it was me, I would quit the legumes and beans for a few weeks and see if it helps.

#4 ·
It could be you just have a difficult digestive system. I'm one of those two. And what I've found is helping me is looking into Low FODMAP foods and limiting what you're eating until you figure out what your triggers are.

Last time I ate meat was 25 years ago and about 7 years ago, I started being forced to get really well acquainted with the toilet:(. My investigations finally brought me to trying a low FODMAP diet which is mainly limiting the kinds of foods that ferment easily (like beans, wheat, broccoli, etc.). I'm finding that it's improved the situation a lot and am hoping that once things settle down, I'll be able to eat those trigger foods in very small amounts occasionally. Good luck.

#7 ·
Take one tablet before Sleeping.

It is important to get a decent night's sleep in order to maintain good health.
Anxiety and insomnia are two of the most common causes of sleep deprivation. Often the body requires a little extra assistance in order to get the rest it requires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.