Sleep problems since going vegan, and dealing with gas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 AM

Sleep problems since going vegan, and dealing with gas

Since going full on plant-based whole foods a year and half ago I have had trouble sleeping (average sleep score is 60-70). I have been trying to troubleshoot this for the past month or so and finally hit on something: gas might be a big part of the problem. I tested this out by taking a Gas-X pill before bedtime and what do you know, for the past week and half my sleeps have been far more restful and sleep scores are now in the 80's. What this says is that my digestive systems are not working as well as I would like with all the plants and fiber and the gas is waking and keeping me up.

I don't want to keep taking Gas-X for the long-term (or Beano) so I am looking for suggestions that can help me reduce gas and thus sleep better. I already soak my beans well, I am trying to eat slowly and chew my food as well as possible, I don't eat late, I keep my sugar and fats low, but I think I need an enzyme supplement of some sort to take to help me along. Are there any great options out there that you would recommend? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2020, 01:54 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

How much beans are you eating? I think I normally eat 2 cups (cooked) each day- maybe 3 sometimes. This would amount to from 1 to 1-and-a-half cups, dry, before soaking, rinsing, and cooking. Beans can be embarrassingly gassy, yes (I speak from experience- sometimes I get up and leave a room when I feel it coming on), but gas has never kept me awake.

My diet does include a lot of fiber (vegetables and fruits- especially leafy vegetables). It's also quite grain-heavy, although I eat refined grains (white bread or white rice) about as often as whole-grain.

A thought: after soaking your beans, do you discard the soaking water and then rinse them?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 01-25-2020 at 01:57 PM.
#3 Old Today, 05:47 PM

have you not thought about quitting legumes and beans ?
quit the beans and legumes for a few weeks and see if it helps.

of course, you may have an underlying problem,,, get a test for H-Pylori... (a stubborn bacteria that lives in the stomach lining, which produces a lot of gas).

also: make your own Water Kefir (because it contains dozens of strains of friendly bacteria).

excess gas could be a simple imbalance of bacterial flora in your gut.
so avoid foods which feed bad bacteria and focus on foods which feed the good bacteria.
(you can google a list of such foods).

if it was me, I would quit the legumes and beans for a few weeks and see if it helps.

Tags
enzymes , gas , sleep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in