Coming out as vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Coming out as vegan

Hello there! I’m a teen I’d like to come out to my father as a vegan. I’ve been wanting to go vegan for about a year now.

I’ve already told my mother about it and she’s perfectly ok with it! But my father is a tiny bit vegaphobic, and I used to love meat when I was a kid so it would be confusing for him.

I’m not sure what would happen if I come out to him. How should i do it, and how will I know if I’m ready yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure. I went pescetarian when I was 16, didn't go vegetarian until I was almost 20, and started inching toward vegan much later. My parents knew I'd always cared a lot about animals (well, mostly warm-blooded animals at the time), and it wasn't a shock to them. I always liked the taste of meat too- as well as pretty much all other foods of animal origin.

I guess the main issues would be:

1) how much you know about nutrition: generally everyone can be vegan, even those who aren't adults, but it's generally not a good idea to just drop all non-vegan foods and continue eating more of whatever else you were eating); and

2) why you want to do this. As I mentioned above, my parents knew how I felt about animals, and could easily accept that my desire to do this was genuine. I don't know if it will confuse your Dad that you've always liked the taste of meat. Lots of us have to avoid foods we like for one reason or another, at least at certain times- we might have religious dietary restrictions, food allergies, medical conditions which limit our diet...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 03-30-2019 at 10:09 AM.
#3 Old 04-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

The standard humorous advice is to tell your dad you are gay. And then after he stops crying or whatever you say, "just kidding, I'm vegan". then Dad is so relieved he forgets to object.

Anyway, I doubt it will be as bad as you suspect.

#4 Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM

Sorry for the late reply!

I might ask him if I could be vegetarian first, then if it all goes well and I’m abe to maintain a veggie diet, I might ask to be vegan.
#5 Old Today, 05:16 PM

Maybe he will surprise you. It's not as odd as it used to be!

VegYouth has some great tips for having the conversation.
https://vegyouth.com/choosing-veg/ta...ting-the-idea/
https://vegyouth.com/choosing-veg/ta...ent-responses/

The bottom line is to be as prepared as possible to manage any objection they may have, and show that you're taking it seriously. Parents are often happy and proud of kids who live according to their beliefs and values.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page