I need an anti-migraine sauce - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I need an anti-migraine sauce

I'm extremely frustrated. I need to make all my meals vegan, but also anti-migraine. I have a huge problem of chronic migraines. I take three times a day a beta blocker medication that usually prevents the migraines. Without it, I would get a migraine every single day of my life. It's helping, but the side effects are atrocious. I get feeling totally wiped out and spend much of my time sleeping.

I've read up that it's possible to prevent migraines via diet. There's a list of trigger foods to avoid. A big one for me is anything sugary. I have a favorite easy vegan recipe. All you do is cook brown rice in a rice cooker and then steam frozen veggies of your choice on the stove with a pot and steamer. When done, the rice goes in the bottom of a bowl with steamed veggies on top of it. Then I heat teriyaki sauce and pour over the top. Yum. Very good and totally vegan.

However, the teriyaki sauce triggers my migraines, probably because it has a lot of sugar in it. How frustrating! So I need something else to pour over my steamed veggies. It must be vegan and it must not be a migraine trigger. It does not have to be another teriyaki sauce. As long as it's something vegan that tastes good and won't trigger a migraine, I'm good.

Here's a page that explains which foods are migraine triggers:
https://www.pcrm.org/news/blog/strug...-migraine-diet

For now I've been just eating the steamed veggies plain over the rice. That's quite plain and boring. I'm not sure how long I'll keep doing that. I need some kind of sauce that's both vegan and anti-migraine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If I could get these migraines to quit dictating my life, that would be like a gift from God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I clicked on the link you posted listing migraine-unsafe foods. I guess, overall, veganism is doing you a lot of good: milk, meat, and eggs are all on the list of things to steer clear of.

Unfortunately, it also lists onions- and I was wondering if garlic is also a problem for you, being that the two are related botanically. I don't know much about teriyaki sauce; I just figured it had garlic in it. I love soy, but maybe you don't... and anyway, at least some soy sauces contain wheat, which is on the list of triggers.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 03-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Impeach the gangster

You might try liquid aminos. It looks and tastes just like soy sauce, but it's brewed without wheat. You might not want it at every meal, but it could provide some variety for you. I use it often. Very flavorful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liq am.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	16342  

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

#4 Old 03-31-2019, 10:00 AM

Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) is reported to help in cases of migraine. Either consult a herbalist or look for tablets. Eating the leaves directly can cause mouth ulcers in some people. I've read about people putting the leaves in a bread sandwich to overcome this problem. Not sure if that would prevent it, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page