Food additives 621, 627 and 631- are they vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion

#1 Old 10-19-2018, 03:23 AM

Food additives 621, 627 and 631- are they vegan?

I am not getting a definitive answer from google.

Is it best to just avoid numbers? Being new at this, I can't google every number while shopping.

Some sites say that are 'possibly' derived from animals sources and other sites are saying that they can be derived from plant based sources such as seaweed.

What does everyone else do if unsure about the numbers? Do you skip it or take the chance?

Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2018, 06:57 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Personally, I skip what I can't be certain of. I've not heard of those that you mention. I'm curious as to what type of product you're finding them in. I learned the painful way that just because something is vegan, it in no way means it's healthy for my body. My venture into choosing vegan consumption began with major health issues, so I try to stay on top of that scene as much as humanly possible.

That's why I prepare and consume mostly whole food plant-based rather than highly processed store bought. I cook and prep in bulk to have stuff on hand, prepare finger foods that I can toss in a small cooler and take with me wherever I may roam, and always keep clean water and/or my favorite herbal infusions with me to sip on when I can't eat. Luckily, I have the time to do all of that on a regular basis and have always loved to cook. Some days I like to take a break from all that food prep and purchase the quicker options or go out to eat, but I try to be sure to add a big salad or plenty of steamed greens to my highly processed choices to help things move along within.

My body feels the difference and lets me know via various symptoms when I start eating too much of what doesn't genuinely nurture cell-ph. It continues to be a learning experience, albeit a much tastier, less stressful, and less painful one now that I have 4ish years of ongoing trials and tribulations. Try not to stress too much over each and every thing as that kind of internal pressure can be equally as detrimental to your health.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#3 Old 10-24-2018, 05:30 PM

I personally don't worry too much about additives that might be animal by products. If you can't taste them and they're so miniscule, they're ethically negligible. Driving yourself crazy about them in my opinion makes veganism "unpracticible", except for neurotics and elitists.

From the Vegan Society, 1979:

"A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

But if you're determined to be a perfectionist, I suppose the Abolitionists---followers of Gary Francione---have a website with a long list of no-no's.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2018, 04:03 PM

I personally avoid anything with additives. Like the poster above, I rely on whole plant based foods. Brown rice, lots of potatoes, vegetables and fruits. If it has something on the label that sounds like it comes out of a chemical lab, I won’t eat it. For me a typical dinner will be baked potatoes with a home made tomato sauce, steamed collard greens with some salt and lemon juice, and fruit. Why would you want to eat anything out of a box when thenproduce section has everything you need? (Well except maybe salt...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page