• 3 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

How to Deal When You’re the Only Vegan at a Barbecue

Quote:
Summer just wouldn’t be the same without weekend barbecues with friends and family. But if you’re new to vegan eating, you might be overwhelmed at the prospect of being the ONLY vegan at a barbecue. But fear not—with a little preparation, eating vegan at a barbecue can be super delicious, and it’s a fun opportunity to share plant-based foods with friends and family.

Here are a few tips for enjoying your next barbecue as a vegan
Read the rest here: http://chooseveg.com/blog/how-to-dea...at-a-barbecue/

What kind of vegan stuff would you bring to a barbecue? Watermelon and corn are a must for me!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Watermelon and corn are great! But I've brought vegan potato salad and veggie burgers too. There are vegan hot dogs, I think, but... I didn't care that much for hot dogs when I ate meat, although I ate them if our family had them. I always preferred burgers. I think I've had some appetizing vegan sausage though.

Anyway, there are at least two possibilities for potato salad. You could make it with vegan mayonnaise (I think either "Just Mayo" or "Vegenaise" would be terrific), or make "Potato Salad Tzapanos" from one of Anna Thomas' "Vegetarian Epicure" books. The Tzapanos one is made with cooked potatoes and carrots, with a dressing of olive oil, dill leaf, lemon juice, and garlic.

Tossed salad is always a possibility, but I'd want to make something more elaborate or unusual than just lettuce/tomatoes/etc with a vinaigrette dressing. There's nothing wrong with lettuce and tomatoes, but I'd add maybe some cooked and chilled vegetables too for some different flavor and texture- potatoes or carrots would be good- and/or maybe some fruit mixed in. My favorite dressing is a simple one of oil and lemon or lime juice (much fresher-tasting than vinegar). I love olive oil but might use something more bland if I though olive oil would clash with some of the salad ingredients. I wouldn't go overboard on dressing in any case. Just this past week we had an in-house lunch catered, and the tossed salad came with three containers of dressing (ranch, Russian, and Italian, I think)- most of which we wound up throwing out.

I never seem to grill vegetables, but a number of them are great grilled.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 07-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

I rarely go to BBQs', but if I bring things it would be-
corn on the cob with husks, soaked in water
potato salad- with just mayo, relish, celery, carrot shreds and black salt
these ribs, made with natural almond butter instead of peanut butter-
http://www.baked-in.com/2014/06/30/vegan-barbecue-ribs/
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Going to a BBQ as a Vegan? Drama or great opportunity?

Going as a vegan to a BBQ is do-able, for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't want my soyburger on the grill next to the meat that's why I would prepare my burgers at home and eat them in a bun - cold.

If you don't mind have your vegan food on the same grill as the meat there are a 1000 options available, like grilled veggies; aubergine, courgette, paprika, tomatoes, corn, onion, carrot, sweet potato and so much more.

You can also make bean burgers at home to put on the grill, make a little bit more to share with the others, big change that they will love the beanburger as much as you!!

You can also buy processed soy meat alternatives. And let's not forget my favorite... Falafel

Coming to a bbq with delicious vegan food is actually a perfect opportunity to show off the variety of yummy vegan food that could make people change their mind about the vegan diet!

You could even make a really nice potato or chickpea salad to share with everyone!

Have fun at the BBQ!

Ziya
Founder or the eCourse for transitioning vegans ''Easy Vegan Good Life''
#5 Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAVegan101 View Post
eat salad

You do realize this is a vegetarian and vegan forum, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Or take one of those small one use bbq, they don’t last to long but at least u won’t eat cold food while corpse munchers having proper bbq

Lets spread love and information with stickers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 AM

I have the same issue! So I take a small disposable in my car as a backup but request that any vegan goods be cooked first on a clean BBQ. Also I sometimes take my own items as backup like buns, burgers, hot sauce etc
#8 Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Beginner

We had a department lunch recently and the choice was a steakhouse. I ate rice and veggies.
David3 likes this.
#9 Old 02-04-2019, 05:29 AM

Depends how vegan you are.
I eat mostly vegetarian but I'm not dogmatic. A Steak twice a year won't kill me.

If everyone would eat as little meat as me that would make a great difference.
#10 Old 03-25-2019, 12:59 AM

What people taste in BBQ is the sauce, the smoke, the char. You can do that with various vegan/vegetarian produces, including tofu and seitan. It’s all in the process. Try vegetables, too, like eggplant, jackfruit, summer squash, mushrooms, and fruit like pineapple — especially good. It’s all in the process!
#11 Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Last edited by Jamie in Chile; 03-27-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: sorry didn't realise it was an old thread
#12 Old 04-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of the stuff at a regular bbq I can eat. Just not the burgers and hot dogs. I usually bring a package of Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage (my fav) and some homemade vegan side (for me and to share). That way i know I won't get hungry even if no other things are vegan. There is usually some interest in the sausages and they can be cut up so people can sample them. Just be sure to have some toothpicks and a few choices of mustard. I don't think I brought any home last time.

The last bbq I went to - there was a lot of interest in Beyond Burgers which had been in the news a lot. So I bought a package of made them with all the toppings and cut them into quarters so people could sample them. Almost everyone tried them and almost everyone was positive about them.
David3 likes this.
#13 Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Read the rest here: http://chooseveg.com/blog/how-to-dea...at-a-barbecue/

What kind of vegan stuff would you bring to a barbecue? Watermelon and corn are a must for me!

Corn, beans and salsa!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page