Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By AspiringBuddha
  • 3 Post By XWillowX

#1 Old 06-23-2018, 10:58 AM

vegan again but this time husbands on board with it

i have decided to try and be vegan again but the change is my husband is still a meat eater yet is supportive of this move a long as we can afford it we are trying all different easy to make food and my husband is also eating it he said he would never be vegan but he says the food tastes surprisingly good we have had to buy more kitchen acquirement and we have sometimes for us to cook most of the food one thing that worried me is am not sure am getting the right amount of daily nutrients every day and trying to remain eating disorder behaviours free

today i have had porridge with soya milk and banana for breakfast melon apples and strawberries for lunch dinner am have a aldis hot pot vegan thing and green beans and mixed veg ( carrot broccoli cauliflower ) i have also had a alpro chocolate like desert
and half a cup of soya milk unsure if am having enough am also taking vegan Holland and barrent vitamins

i have also been drinking a lot more water than normal , normally i would drink diet coke
or other fizzy pop
am hoping that i can go on living meat and dairy free

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Good for you!!

Two suggestions.

1. CronOmeter
First is to sign up for a CronOmeter account. It's free. It doesn't take that l long to set up. There is a bit of a learning curve. But as you learn how to use it, CronOmeter learns about you. within a week it should take you less than 5 minutes a day to input your food. And you don't' have to do it forever. After a while, you get a pretty good feel for it. CronOmeter comes with its own default set of nutrient requirements. Leave them alone at first but as you learn more about nutrition you can tweak them.

CronOmeter is really easy to understand and you can see almost at a glance if your diet has any problems. You can even use it to plan future days and play around with adding or subtracting things to make it better.

I tend to under-consume calories and protein, but its pretty easy to add both just with a glass of soymilk.

I know that it's not recommended for some people with eating disorders to analyze their diet - they can become obsessive. If that's you, skip CronOmeter and go to my second suggestion. My second suggestion is also a good thing to do with cronometer, too.

The Daily Dozen Checklist.
First, let me say that I have been vegan for years but only recently started transitioning to a Whole Foods Plant Based diet. And I'm pretty much sold on it. I base my diet on Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations. But I like Dr. Gregar's dozen daily checklist because it's so clear and visual.

There is an app for it that you can just use on your phone. but I like the old fashioned technique.
Just print out the PDF I have linked below.
Laminate it and post it on the frig with a dry erase pen. Then as the day goes on, just check off the boxes. I find it extremely challenging to eat everything on the list, but that's my goal.

https://veganuary.com/wp-content/upl...-Checklist.pdf
#3 Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWillowX View Post
i have decided to try and be vegan again but the change is my husband is still a meat eater yet is supportive of this move a long as we can afford it we are trying all different easy to make food and my husband is also eating it he said he would never be vegan but he says the food tastes surprisingly good we have had to buy more kitchen acquirement and we have sometimes for us to cook most of the food one thing that worried me is am not sure am getting the right amount of daily nutrients every day and trying to remain eating disorder behaviours free

today i have had porridge with soya milk and banana for breakfast melon apples and strawberries for lunch dinner am have a aldis hot pot vegan thing and green beans and mixed veg ( carrot broccoli cauliflower ) i have also had a alpro chocolate like desert
and half a cup of soya milk unsure if am having enough am also taking vegan Holland and barrent vitamins

i have also been drinking a lot more water than normal , normally i would drink diet coke
or other fizzy pop
am hoping that i can go on living meat and dairy free

You eat more vegetables than I do! I have to work on eating more broccoli and other green vegetables.

Respected vegan registered dietitian Brenda Davis has a very informative and easy-to-use vegan food guide: http://www.brendadavisrd.com/my-vegan-plate/

Also, Mr. H's suggestions are good.

As long as you aren't eating a lot of vegan specialty foods, a vegan diet shouldn't be any more expensive than an omnivorous diet. A vegan diet replaces meat (which can be expensive) with beans and whole grains (which are really cheap). In 1994, when I first lived on my own, I only spent about $15 per week on food (this is equivalent to about $30 in 2018 inflation-adjusted dollars). At that time, my food consisted almost entirely of lentils, brown rice, spaghetti, whole wheat bread, peanut butter, mustard greens, carrots, onions, and simple store-bought sauces (soy sauce, mustard, ketchup). I took an inexpensive multivitamin from my local pharmacy (chemist). Veganism can be cheap!
Emma JC, Mr. H. and AspiringBuddha like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 06-23-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM

Even with some vegan specialty foods (soy milk, some almond based ice cream, and the occasional mock meat) I find overall that veganism is the most cost-effective way for me to eat. There is no animal source of protein that can compete with beans/lentils/split peas on price. Eggs are the only one that comes even close. And lentils come with no cholestorol!
David3 and Mr. H. like this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#5 Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 AM

just thought id up date you all i am still vegan and am loving every minute of it my husband is eating mostly vegan food but still eats meat from time to time i cant change his mind on that
i have lost weight and am more healtyer than i have ever been in my life i try and make sure i am taking the right amount of what i need every day and am a lot happyer as well
Purp, David3 and Ger Jonker like this.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi,
#6 Old 08-28-2018, 10:25 AM

I believe that slowly your husband will open his eyes, my ex was also saying he would never touch any vegan food etc, i patiently was doing my own thing while planting "vegan" seeds " in him ( not in preachy way and not even directly,i was just letting him see my change in my moods,energy, health and how good and yummy my food looks and that i had no troubles in keeping it cheap yummy and healthy, slowly he started to change and ate more vegan than ever before, then i saw him looking at videos i was posting on youtube ( informative videos about how eating meat etc is destroying earth and health.

Lets spread love and information with stickers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page