• 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Mr. H.
  • 3 Post By slnm
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By edwards142

#1 Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM

New vegan, low energy

Hi Everyone!

I became vegan on April 1st (not a joke!) when I started to participate in a Facebook challenge to do Joel Fuhrman's nutritarian diet as a vegan. This is a whole food plant-based diet with no sugar, oil, or added salt. Nut, seeds, and avocados are fine.

I did great for that month, lost a dozen pounds and now I'm decently lean. I'm never particularly hungry. But starting Saturday I notice my energy is low. I lift weights so this is a problem.

I've done some reading on the low energy problem and I get that not enough calories is the first place to look. For sure I'm not eating enough so this morning I started tracking my calories on FitDay to make sure I eat enough and that I'm getting enough protein.

I also ordered supplements to make sure I'm getting enough B12, D3, DHA/EPA, zinc, iodine, and K.

I'm curious to know how quickly after adding a bunch of calories might I notice my energy picking up.

Thanks!
David3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Ponyo

You can search in many dishes to get enough vitamins but for the B12 you must have a vegan complete.
But, you can also be just tired, the weather was very changing this spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Veggie since my 3 years old and I love climatology.
#3 Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess: Right away.

A couple of caveats.

If you are very lean (BMI in the teens), it might take a while for your body to create reserves of glycogen. And I suppose if you had/have a severe vitamin deficiency it might also take a while to build up the reserves.

Otherwise, I would think you would feel the difference immediately.
David3 and AspiringBuddha like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2018, 12:00 PM
cienarose returns

As well as looking at your vitamins and proteins; you may also want to check on your omega 3 oil intake. I had also been feeling more tired than usual lately. After A conversation with a co-worker recently about his new vegetarian/no-sugar diet and that nuts contain a lot of fats. I realized I hadn't been eating anything with much oil in it lately. especially since I have been using a very good non-stick pan and don't need any to keep my veggies from sticking. So, for the past couple of weeks I have been making myself take a tablespoon of flax seed oil everyday. I am feeling much perkier now.
David3 likes this.
#5 Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 PM

Thanks, everybody for the engagement!

My calorie goal is now 2,000 plus however many calories I earn working out. Upping the beans and adding a cup of starch to each meal is helping. I'm already feeling my energy pick up. Yay!

Regarding omega 3's -- good reminder. Thanks! I had been grinding up a tablespoon of flax seeds and adding them to my daily salads but had gotten out of that habit. I'll go back to that. And, in a few days I'll get my supplement order and will start taking vegan omega 3's.
David3 likes this.
#6 Old 05-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnm View Post

My calorie goal is now 2,000 plus however many calories I earn working out. Upping the beans and adding a cup of starch to each meal is helping. I'm already feeling my energy pick up. Yay!

Regarding Omega 3's -- good reminder. Thanks! I had been grinding up a tablespoon of flax seeds and adding them to my daily salads but had gotten out of that habit. I'll go back to that. And, in a few days, I'll get my supplement order and will start taking vegan omega 3's.
I add a tbsp of ground flax seed to all my cereals, salads and smoothies. but no more than 2 tbsp a day.
but flax is just ALA. Although your body converts ALA to EPA and DHA, its a slow and inefficient process. so it is still a good idea to take a EPA/DHA supplement. My supplement suggests two capsules a day. but i figure with all the flax seed i can just do one.
#7 Old 05-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Ponyo

It's always hard to change your food but you can arrive.
David3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Veggie since my 3 years old and I love climatology.
#8 Old 05-08-2018, 04:51 PM

Thanks, Mr. H. Yes, I'll be supplementing EPA and DHA.
David3 likes this.
#9 Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnm View Post

Regarding omega 3's -- good reminder. Thanks! I had been grinding up a tablespoon of flax seeds and adding them to my daily salads but had gotten out of that habit. I'll go back to that. And, in a few days I'll get my supplement order and will start taking vegan omega 3's.

Hi slnm,

You've already identified one of the interesting characteristics of the (very healthy!) Nutritarian Diet: it tends to be low in calories, because it focuses heavily on non-starchy vegetables (which have perhaps 5-40 calories per cup). However, the Nutritarian Diet compensates for this by including nuts and seeds (which have about 600-1000 calories per cup).

Increasing your intake of beans is also a good strategy. One cup of beans or lentils (one cup after cooking) contains about 230 calories.

During the day, I keep a rough tally of my calorie intake. If I haven't been eating enough, then I try to eat a palmful of nuts, or some nut butter on whole grain bread.

Welcome!
Mr. H. likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#10 Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Thanks, David3 for the warm welcome! It's been quite an adjustment but a good one! At age 54 I thought I was destined to be fat forever like others in my family. The nutritarian path has changed my life. I don't have to hungry. I can eat lots of food and be lean. I love it! And, I'm also starting to tune into all of the suffering that we humans cause just so we can enjoy the taste of a hamburger. Ultimately, it's not only the animals that suffer, it's the humans as well. That's the irony of it.

Thanks again for your support.
#11 Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Another good technique to make sure you are eating enough is to use Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen Checklist.
There is an app for it.
But you can also just print out this PDF, Laminate it, put it on the frig, and then use a soft erase pen to make your checkmarks.

daily dozen checklist
https://veganuary.com/wp-content/upl...-Checklist.pdf

also there are some pretty good nutrition/calorie calculating apps. Maybe a little OCD but if you are having trouble with your health its a good idea. My favorite is CronOmeter.
silva and David3 like this.
#12 Old 05-09-2018, 02:33 PM

I love Dr. Greger and his daily dozen. I have his "How Not to Die" book. Thanks!
silva, David3 and Mr. H. like this.
#13 Old 05-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

I like to mix natural peanut butter with date syrup, ground oats, cacao powder, and all kinds of seeds, even cooked quinoa, and roll into balls to keep in the fridge for a pick me up.
I love dates and find just having one after work with a cup of green tea is so nice!
David3, Mr. H. and slnm like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#14 Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM

I don’t think vegan diet means low energy, if you take the correct proportion of the vegetarian diet than no one can stop you from achieving your weight loss goal. So, catch complete knowledge of your calories count in each of your meal.
slnm likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page