Can going vegan make me miss my period? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Happy Veggie

Exclamation Can going vegan make me miss my period?

Hello sorry if this an awkward question but I'm scared.
So last week I went full vegan for a week but couldn't keep it up and just went back to a junk food eating vegetarian and now my period so far is one week late does that have something to do with my vegetarian to vegan back to vegetarian all happening in the span of one week? And I know I can't be pregnant or anything because I've never done any of that nasty stuff I'm only 16 and this is my 3rd year with a period so not sure if that'll change anything I don't know but please let me know and this is very awkward for me to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

This is really a question for your OBGYN. But it probably has nothing to do with being vegan. And probably nothing to worry about either. Young women are notorious for not running on schedule.

However.....

There is something diet related that can be an issue. but its really about not being a week late but not having periods for months. By the way, this condition is called amenorrhea. And its one of the symptoms of what is called the Female Athlete Triad. I think the Triad is too few calories, too little body fat, and too much exercise. And the solution is pretty obvious: eat more, exercise less.

Besides amenorrhea, another health issue of the FAT is a loss of bone mass.

For a really good article on this subject, you can read

http://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/wh...emale-athletes
#3 Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

This is really a question for your OBGYN. But it probably has nothing to do with being vegan. And probably nothing to worry about either. Young women are notorious for not running on schedule.

However.....

There is something diet related that can be an issue. but its really about not being a week late but not having periods for months. By the way, this condition is called amenorrhea. And its one of the symptoms of what is called the Female Athlete Triad. I think the Triad is too few calories, too little body fat, and too much exercise. And the solution is pretty obvious: eat more, exercise less.

Besides amenorrhea, another health issue of the FAT is a loss of bone mass.

For a really good article on this subject, you can read

http://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/wh...emale-athletes
David3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbz123 View Post
Hello sorry if this an awkward question but I'm scared.
So last week I went full vegan for a week but couldn't keep it up and just went back to a junk food eating vegetarian and now my period so far is one week late does that have something to do with my vegetarian to vegan back to vegetarian all happening in the span of one week? And I know I can't be pregnant or anything because I've never done any of that nasty stuff I'm only 16 and this is my 3rd year with a period so not sure if that'll change anything I don't know but please let me know and this is very awkward for me to ask.

Very good questions, not awkward.

According to the Mayo Clinic, amenorrhea (loss of menstrual period) can be caused by many things: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20369299

Were you eating enough during the week that you ate vegan? Plenty of pasta, beans, nuts, sauces? Young women need plenty of calories.
Mr. H. likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Tags
missed period , period , vegan and menstrual cycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page