• 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By Symondezyn

#1 Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Happy Veggie

Question Chocolate Cravings

Hello friends!
I'm still just starting out on my vegan journey and I know I'll mess up a few times but so far so good no mess ups. Anyway I'm soooo tempted to eat chocolate right now because I always get cravings for it every few months. So how do I handle it? I really want a coffee crisp but I can't and it's making me go crazy!!!

xoxo Kaitlyn
Capstan and Purp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Impeach the gangster

I've been vegan 20-years, and I'm eating some vegan chocolate right now! That's how I handle it!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I've been vegan 20-years, and I'm eating some vegan chocolate right now! That's how I handle it!
Oh where do I buy vegan chocolate?
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbz123 View Post
Clif Bars are vegan. In the United States, even the regular supermarkets sell these. Perhaps this is true in Canada as well.

Lara Bars are also vegan, and they sell some chocolate varieties.

Your local health food store probably sells a variety of vegan chocolates.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 11-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Milk chocolate isn't vegan, so obviously most candy bars aren't vegan. Look to the dark chocolate bars. Read the labels for ingredients. The ones I have I had sent to me by Equal Exchange for the kiddos at Halloween. Cocoa is vegan, so you might look in our Recipe Section for desserts you can make yourself. Good luck!
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#6 Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is an extensive list of vegan chocolate that is also fair trade etc.:

http://www.foodispower.org/chocolate-list/

I like Equal Exchange chocolate.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 11-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

Here's a recipe for brownies made from, of all things, black beans. They're really quite delicious.

Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
Purp likes this.

#8 Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Clif Bars are vegan. In the United States, even the regular supermarkets sell these. Perhaps this is true in Canada as well.

Lara Bars are also vegan, and they sell some chocolate varieties.

Your local health food store probably sells a variety of vegan chocolates.
Unfourently I'm deathly allergic to all kinds of nuts even things that may contain them so clif and Lara are out of the question
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 11-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Unfourently I'm deathly allergic to all kinds of nuts even things that may contain them so clif and Lara are out of the question
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're not allergic to chocolate, though. That's good news. Enjoy Life has chocolate bars that should be available in Canada.
Capstan likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 AM

If you like dark chocolate you will be fine. Go for a 70% plus chocolate bar. I know you are not in the UK, but maybe they have Green & Blacks brand where you are? Here in England most of our supermarkets do their own dark chocolate - we are lucky. Aldi and Lidl do lovely dark chocolate, Moser Roth, which has no diary in it and it's delicious. You can get chilli and sea salt flavours too, which are yummy. I hope you find something nice where you live. I remember when I was in Vancouver earlier this year we did manage to find some really nice dark chocolates in some of the health food stores we popped into.
Capstan and silva like this.
#11 Old 11-18-2016, 06:52 AM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're not allergic to chocolate, though. That's good news. Enjoy Life has chocolate bars that should be available in Canada.
Oh I've seen their mini chocolate chips I was gonna buy those to bake cookies sometime! So if I cant find any chocolate bars at lest chocolate chips are around
#12 Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it fair to assume anything dark chocolate is vegan? I don't need to be 100% sure here, and not worried about the tiniest trace of something, but is it in general true?
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 11-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Is it fair to assume anything dark chocolate is vegan? I don't need to be 100% sure here, and not worried about the tiniest trace of something, but is it in general true?
I think so, but wouldn't swear to it.
@gjbz123 ...Have you read this book yet?
Capstan likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Last edited by Purp; 11-18-2016 at 01:34 PM.
#14 Old 11-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
No, I see lots of dark, even high percentage of cocoa dark with butterfat!
There are lots of regular dark chocolate bars and chips that are vegan if you don't worry about the sugar.
I just got Moser Ross dark chocolate mint bars at Aldi! They're German so no sugar worry anyway!
Sometimes Aldi has fair trade chocolates and I try to wait for those. Trader joes on the other hand has lots of vegan and fair trade chocolates! I buy their semi sweet chocolate chips

And my favorite candy in the world from TJ's! Dark chocolate covered crystallized ginger chunks!

You have to watch some of Trader Joes candies. They have cocoa nibs by the cash registar that are coated with confectioners glaze- beetles!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 11-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. I tend to read ingredients nowadays although I am not a strict vegan and I don't really know what I'm looking for but if I see something that looks like an animal product I wouldn't normally buy something but there are a lot of things in ingredients that I don't really know what they are.
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 11-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Go Max Go Foods makes vegan chocolate bars that taste even better than regular chocolate bars! They have vegan versions of Mars bars, Snickers, Reese cups, Crunch bars, etc, all with different names of course: http://gomaxgofoods.com/

If you don't have vegan sweets where you live you can order them online on Amazon, it's a little pricier but worth it every now and then when you want to splurge!
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 11-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Plant Powered

You can make your own chocolate, using cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, and coconut oil. Melt all in a pan, then pour into muffin tins, maybe 1/4" thick in each one. Sometimes I add chopped nuts or coconut, or peppermint extract. Freeze and then they will just pop out. You need to keep them refrigerated/frozen, but they are so, so good for those mad cravings!
Purp likes this.
#18 Old 11-22-2016, 11:09 PM

Does Canada have Trader Joe's? Their chocolate chips are "accidentally" vegan!
#19 Old 11-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]! View Post
Does Canada have Trader Joe's? Their chocolate chips are "accidentally" vegan!
There is no Trader Joe's anywhere near where I live, so I'm not sure... we do have Camino but they are so expensive!!
#20 Old 11-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

If you ever see Pierres frozen desserts look for their sorbets- they're wonderful, and include a dark chocolate! All dairy free!
https://pierres.com/products/sorbet/

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tags
chocolate cravings , coffee crisp , i want chocolate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page