What's Wrong With Soy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Fabulous

Question What's Wrong With Soy?

Hello all!

So I'm currently going vegan but I keep reading things about people saying "dont drink soy milk or use soy based vegan margarine etc" But why? I'd like to know what's wrong with soy and why is everyone saying it;s bad? (I'm allergic to all nuts so almond milk isn;t an option)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Ankle Biter

Soy, like most things, in moderation should be fine. People have been eating it for ever. Look for organic or Non-GMO, if it makes you feel better, but unless you're sensitive to it, you should be fine.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Look here: http://jacknorrisrd.com/response-to-not-soy-fast/ for a summary of health situation re soy

Keep in mind that 1 or 2 people out of a thousand have an allergy to soy, and in very minor cases that can be severe. Source: http://jacknorrisrd.com/category/food-allergies/

Small amounts of soy are almost certainly safe for most. To be extra cautious, eat a mix of food (lentils, peas, beans) for legume needs rather than just soy.

Moderate to large amounts of heavily processed soy may even be safe, but no-one can really say for sure how much is too much.

For what it's worth (not a lot), I've been eating soy quite regularly, but not excessively, for about 7-8 months and I haven't noticed any issues.

Last edited by Jamie in Chile; 08-21-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn_Moore View Post
Hello all!

So I'm currently going vegan but I keep reading things about people saying "dont drink soy milk or use soy based vegan margarine etc" But why? I'd like to know what's wrong with soy and why is everyone saying it;s bad? (I'm allergic to all nuts so almond milk isn;t an option)

Diet/exercise websites, YouTube videos, and internet forums are not reliable sources of nutrition information.

Mainstream health organizations have concluded that soy foods (but perhaps not soy supplements) are healthy.

The American Cancer Society makes this statement regarding soy foods:

"When concerns about soy are raised, they generally focus on findings from rodent models of cancer which tend to use isolated soy compounds like soy protein isolate or high doses of isoflavones (compounds found in soy). However, soy is metabolized differently in humans than it is in mice and rats, so findings in rodents may not apply to people. (See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16614407 for more on this.)(Setchell, AJCN, 2011). There is no evidence in the medical literature that soy protein isolate is bad for humans, compared to other forms of soy. Soy protein isolate is often used as a supplement in randomized studies of the effects of soy on health and none of these studies have shown harm.

Most of the studies suggesting benefits of soy consumption in people have measured how much soy foods people are eating, including tofu, soybeans, and soy milk. These foods are more commonly eaten in Asian countries. In the U.S., purified forms of soy are used in the food supply, including in energy bars and soy hot dogs. The few US studies that have measured these forms of soy do not suggest harm.

More research is needed to understand the relationship between specific forms of soy and doses of isoflavones on cancer risk and recurrence. We also need to learn more about childhood exposure to isoflavones and risk of cancer. Until more is known, if you enjoy eating soy foods, the evidence indicates that this is safe, and may be beneficial (but note that miso, a fermented soy product, is high in sodium.) It is prudent to avoid high doses of isolated soy compounds found specifically in supplements, as less is known about their health effects. As for other “hidden” sources of soy proteins, the evidence to date does not suggest harm or benefit. However, if you are concerned about these products, you can choose to avoid them."

Link: http://blogs.cancer.org/expertvoices...t-cancer-risk/
karenlovessnow likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-21-2016 at 07:36 PM.
#5 Old 08-22-2016, 11:04 AM

There is nothing wrong with soy. Soy is just like beans. I call beans a power food. You know in the army soldiers are served with beans. In war, beans make the soldiers strong and not hungry.

The problem with soy is allergy, but you can say that for all food. BUT I see you are from Canada, and I hear over there Monsanto is the leader (i know it is in the USA, so most probably in Canada too). And that means soy is most likely GMO. And if soy is GMO then allergy and other problems will pop up. You know Monsanto is not really looking to promote health, they are going after money.

So try to find soy from Europe or Asia.
#6 Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 PM
99% Vegan

Supposedly:
The undesirable side of Soy :- Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins including enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. These inhibitors can produce serious gastric distress, reduced protein digestion and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake. If this was true, then I would have a huge vitamin deficiency as I drink soy milk twice a day, eat tofu almost daily, and my Vegan meats tend to be soy based as I can't have Gluten.

I wouldn't worry about soy intake because the studies were largely done on animals, did not test Vegans to test the "proof" and were not very logically thought out. If soy caused impotency then why is China and Japan have such a huge population?

Iceland used to highest for Breast Cancer, but that changed as they are now ranked 6th, and Belgium is 1st, followed by France and Denmark. The highest incidence of breast cancer was in Northern America and Oceania; and the lowest incidence in Asia and Africa. (According to wcrf dot org as of 2012.)

BTW, my mom, who avoided Soy, got Breast Cancer, but survived it. I, ate Soy as if it was going out of style, did not get Breast Cancer. However, I think that the amount of Vegetables you eat, does help here for many forms of calcium - broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables are some examples.
LedBoots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#7 Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM
99% Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegan View Post
And if soy is GMO then allergy and other problems will pop up. You know Monsanto is not really looking to promote health, they are going after money.

So try to find soy from Europe or Asia.
It is easy to find non-GMO soy. Whole Foods Market is just one source. Natural Foods stores and co-ops normally do not carry any GMO foods.
LedBoots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#8 Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
It is easy to find non-GMO soy. Whole Foods Market is just one source. Natural Foods stores and co-ops normally do not carry any GMO foods.
Ok, I don't know I m in Europe. But I hear that in the USA products don't need to be labeled as GMO. And I hear that there is no natural soy production since Monsanto take over the land?

Maybe someone from the USA can give us more information. I mean, to the people from the USA and to us who are concern about GMO soy. I know in my country once we had illegal GMO seed planted and soy was not destroyed because the law is written weird. Like, you are not allowed to seed GMO, but if it is already planted it should not be destroyed. As well I m not sure about my laws either. This whole GMO law thing is confusing.
#9 Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think I've once seen tofu and a soymilk that wasn't labeled as non-GMO. The GMO soy is used in animal feed and processed soy ingrediants, AFAIK.

Soy has been the bane of meat and dairy industries as it's such a viable alternative. Every anti-soy article is affected by such groups as Weston Price, which supports those industries.
The research that soy is bad for cancer has long been refuted, and now is known to help prevent cancers. Unfortunately, the adversaries still cling to spreading the misinformation.

I buy non-GMO soybeans for home made soy milk, purchase soy milk, miso, and tofu and tempeh I eat once or twice weekly. All labeled non-GMO, some organic. I have things like tofurky sausage, meatless meatballs which have undisclosed soy ingredients occasionally.
#10 Old 08-22-2016, 11:04 PM

I see, so you need to look for a label that says non-GMO? I wonder if we in Europe need to look for same label. Soy here is pretty cheap, but i have find soy without label non-GMO.
#11 Old 08-23-2016, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn_Moore View Post
Hello all!

There is nothing wrong with soy. For some people with thyroid conditions, soy can interfere with absorption of thyroid meds so people need to be careful with timing of when they consume each. Also, it isn't the soy in vegan margarine that people are upset about, it is usually the palm oil as palm oil is an issue as far as destruction of certain wildlife that depends on the palm tree. Others think that soy contains estrogen like hormones. Soy is a phytoestrogen, much like many other plant foods. It can act on the same cell receptors as estrogen compounds, but it is NOT a hormone in the sense that estrogen is. The effects of soy phytoestrogens are generally found to be protective and healthy also, not harmful. But there is a huge myth that soy is estrogenic and has hormonal effects. The same people who propogate this myth (like the idiots who say it will cause men to grow bigger breasts) seem to think dairy is perfectly fine, when in fact dairy itself contains actual animal hormone compounds in it, not to mention traces of antibiotics given to farm animals. Sighs.

There are other plant milks besides soy and nut milks. There is rice milk, hemp milk, and flaxseed milk. There is also a new pea protein milk called "Ripple" that just came out, and coconut milk (is that considered a nut?). Rice milk is also easy to make yourself. I've made my own flaxseed milk many a time too.
LedBoots and Symondezyn like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#12 Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Several years ago, I thought I had developed a soy allergy, first in soymilk, soy protein isolate, then in tofu. Soy sauce and so on were fine.

Then I read about carrageenan becoming a common digestive irritant, and I wondered why some almond milks had the same effect as the soy? and when I bought cargeenan free soy, I can eat it fine! Silk is talking it out of its products,ans Almond Breeze and others are carrageenan free
karenlovessnow and beegan like this.
#13 Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 AM

Carrageenan, Xantham Gum, Sugar Alcohols, Artificial Colors, flavours, preservatives you name it. Nobody will tell you that this crap is making you allergic.
#14 Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Plant Powered

I can't speak for the rest of Canada but in B.C. the local brands Soyganic and Sunrise (same company) are made using organic, non-GMO Canadian soybeans. The soy milk I buy is So Nice brand and it's also organic, and non-GMO
LedBoots likes this.
#15 Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Carrageenan, Xantham Gum, Sugar Alcohols, Artificial Colors, flavours, preservatives you name it. Nobody will tell you that this crap is making you allergic.
You're listing the ingrediensts of one particular brand--and not even listing the brand!
There are many soy milks with organic soy beans and filtered water.
You can buy soy beans and make your owm, which I do. I also sometimes purchase cartons of soy milk like the one you have listed and have no ill effects
LedBoots likes this.
#16 Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You're listing the ingrediensts of one particular brand--and not even listing the brand!
There are many soy milks with organic soy beans and filtered water.
You can buy soy beans and make your owm, which I do. I also sometimes purchase cartons of soy milk like the one you have listed and have no ill effects
Huh, I wasn't talking about any brand, I was just listing ingredients that are regularly used in food as food additives. Yea I bought soybeans once, but I eat them cooked. I buy soy milk; some products just use water and soybeans or rice or almonds or whatever else is used. So I really don't understand why they use additives if it is possible to do it without additives.
#17 Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Taste.
I buy it as a treat. I use for tofu shakes, pudding, coffee drinks
Yes, I could add things to my own but part of 'treat' to me is convience

Peoples ideas of healthy diet, and desire for it, vary a lot.,
My basic diet is healthy, but I do include foods that aren't
Symondezyn likes this.
#18 Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Love

Smile

Quote:
Huh, I wasn't talking about any brand, I was just listing ingredients that are regularly used in food as food additives. Yea I bought soybeans once, but I eat them cooked. I buy soy milk; some products just use water and soybeans or rice or almonds or whatever else is used. So I really don't understand why they use additives if it is possible to do it without additives.
They use those additives for texture/consistency/flavor. It's better to just get foods/drinks without additives/preservatives in them. Soy contains xenoestrogens which basically act as estrogen in the body so to anyone consuming soy I would recommend limiting your intake of it or only consuming fermented soy products like miso or tempeh. And if you're going to eat soy always make sure it's organic and non genetically modified.

It's all about love!

Last edited by Vegan Mike; 08-23-2016 at 06:50 PM.
#19 Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Mike View Post
They use those additives for texture/consistency/flavor. It's better to just get foods/drinks without additives/preservatives in them. Soy contains xenoestrogens which basically act as estrogen in the body so to anyone consuming soy I would recommend limiting your intake of it or only consuming fermented soy products like miso or tempeh. And if you're going to eat soy always make sure it's organic and non genetically modified.

Oregon State University has a detailed webpage about soy foods, supported with citations of peer-reviewed studies: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dieta...oy-isoflavones

The peer-reviewed studies contribute evidence that soy foods are healthy. Soy supplements, on the other hand, may not be so healthy.

According to this OSU webpage, and to the USDA's Database on the Isoflavone Content of Selected Foods, miso and tempeh actually contain more isoflavone phytoestrogens than some other forms of soy: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dieta...s#food-sources , and http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...Isoflav_R2.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 08-23-2016 at 07:50 PM.
#20 Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Love

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Oregon State University has a detailed webpage about soy foods, supported with citations of peer-reviewed studies: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dieta...oy-isoflavones

The peer-reviewed studies contribute evidence that soy foods are healthy. Soy supplements, on the other hand, may not be so healthy.

According to this OSU webpage, and to the USDA's Database on the Isoflavone Content of Selected Foods, miso and tempeh actually contain more isoflavone phytoestrogens than some other forms of soy: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dieta...s#food-sources , and http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...Isoflav_R2.pdf
When soy is fermented some of the substances it contains, like estrogens, are actually converted into less harmful forms. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...s-better.aspx#

It's all about love!
#21 Old 08-24-2016, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
When soy is fermented some of the substances it contains, like estrogens, are actually converted into less harmful forms. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...s-better.aspx#
Are you really going to quote from mercola? Type in "who is mercola" for a google and you'll find him on quackwatch and also see that he has been sued by the FDA and other government organizations for false claims. He is also fairly antivegan.

and to be clear, soy contains plant phytoestrogens, NOT human estrogens. They are two entirely different substances.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#22 Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Xenoestrogens are found in plastics, pesticides, and chemicals used in health and beauty products. Any of the potential endocrine disrupters in soy are too weak, and any adverse affects would need ridiculously large amounts consumed. That's why the studies have been corrected.
I have yet to find any article that warned of soys dangers that wasn't linked to the meat or dairy industry. Like Mercola, and Weston Price

Here's an unbiased study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/

Like any other food, the more minimal the processing the better it is Eat tofu, soy milk, tempeh, edaname, miso, and natto if you can
#23 Old 08-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

Hi Mike,

Dr. Mercola is outspoken in his criticism of vegetarian diets. On his website, he has published at least 2 dozen articles against vegetarian and vegan diets: http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=vegetarian

It's so important to be careful when it comes to believing individual health gurus on the internet. More reliable information is available from reputable organizations, like the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, the American Cancer Society, the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, etc. In contrast, individual health gurus (like Joe Mercola) are free to make non-evidence-based claims, because (1) they are not obligated to protect the integrity of a reputable organization and (2) they are acting alone, without a committee to review/criticize their claims.

_________

#24 Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Mercola is a shill for the meat and dairy industries, filled with lies and studies funded by meat and dairy. Don't believe a word of their bs.

Edit: I see others already answered, didn't mean to repeat!
#25 Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Are you really going to quote from mercola? Type in "who is mercola" for a google and you'll find him on quackwatch and also see that he has been sued by the FDA and other government organizations for false claims. He is also fairly antivegan.
Here is a summary of the FDA's written warnings to Joe Mercola: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph...arning_letters

_________

#26 Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Ok, I don't know I m in Europe. But I hear that in the USA products don't need to be labeled as GMO. And I hear that there is no natural soy production since Monsanto take over the land?

Maybe someone from the USA can give us more information. I mean, to the people from the USA and to us who are concern about GMO soy. I know in my country once we had illegal GMO seed planted and soy was not destroyed because the law is written weird. Like, you are not allowed to seed GMO, but if it is already planted it should not be destroyed. As well I m not sure about my laws either. This whole GMO law thing is confusing.

In the United States, Certified Organic crops (including soy) are not permitted to be GMO. Please see this report from the United States Department of Agriculture: http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/org...anic-products/ .

_________

#27 Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
In the United States, Certified Organic crops (including soy) are not permitted to be GMO. Please see this report from the United States Department of Agriculture: http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/org...anic-products/ .
Good point. Organic always means non-gmo, but non-gmo doesn't always mean organic
#28 Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Love

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

and to be clear, soy contains plant phytoestrogens, NOT human estrogens. They are two entirely different substances.
I'm not quoting him, I just posted that link to back up what I was saying. Soy does contain estrogens and I never said they were 'human' estrogens, I said they basically act as estrogen in the body. Regardless of whether or not they come from plants is irrelevant, they still have the same effect on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Xenoestrogens are found in plastics, pesticides, and chemicals used in health and beauty products. Any of the potential endocrine disrupters in soy are too weak, and any adverse affects would need ridiculously large amounts consumed. That's why the studies have been corrected.
I have yet to find any article that warned of soys dangers that wasn't linked to the meat or dairy industry. Like Mercola, and Weston Price

Here's an unbiased study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/

Like any other food, the more minimal the processing the better it is Eat tofu, soy milk, tempeh, edaname, miso, and natto if you can
They're not 'too weak'. Whatever the amount found in soy the estrogens are there either way and the more you eat the more they accumulate.

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Dr. Mercola is outspoken in his criticism of vegetarian diets. On his website, he has published at least 2 dozen articles against vegetarian and vegan diets: http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=vegetarian

It's so important to be careful when it comes to believing individual health gurus on the internet. More reliable information is available from reputable organizations, like the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, the American Cancer Society, the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, etc. In contrast, individual health gurus (like Joe Mercola) are free to make non-evidence-based claims, because (1) they are not obligated to protect the integrity of a reputable organization and (2) they are acting alone, without a committee to review/criticize their claims.
Again I didn't even learn about xenoestrogens in soy from Dr. Mercola, I just linked the article because it talks about estrogens in soy and how fermented soy is better.

It's all about love!

Last edited by Vegan Mike; 08-24-2016 at 05:50 PM.
#29 Old 08-25-2016, 03:15 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Last edited by LedBoots; 08-25-2016 at 03:19 AM.
#30 Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

We're not just disputing Mercola, we've been telling you those finding are flawed, and reputable sources have updated the results.
I don't have time to post links, but you can look at the breast cancer site for one

So where did you get your reseearch?
Closed Thread

Tags
bad , don't drink , soy , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page