I started Monday (yay!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 08-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Powered by Potato

I started Monday (yay!)

...and I'm doing okay.

I read a lot of the links, thanks. I will probably see a dietician, but it may be a couple of months before I'm able to take off work for it.

I have a couple of questions, but first I'd like to run my weekday menu by y'all to make sure I haven't forgot anything.

Breakfast

2 servings oatmeal with almond milk, an apple, banana and an orange.

Lunch (basically snacks during the day) 12 oz cashews and 10 oz baby carrots.

Dinner

2 cans various beans
1 can diced tomato with chile
1 can lentil soup
a few small red potatos
2 servings brown rice
an enormous salad

Disregarding the fresh vegetables this puts me at about 3200 calories for the day. I'm not sure it's enough but it's about all I can eat. Over a third of those calories are from the cashews.

I pretty much eat while I'm driving from one stop to the next during the day, when I was eating the 6 oz of cheese with the cashews I didn't get hungry, I could make it 14 or 16 hours and be okay. The carrots aren't treating me as well, I'm getting really hungry during the day, and it's kind of distracting. Any suggestions for something ready to eat, gluten free and healthy that would keep me satiated during the day?

Is there any advantage of dried beans over canned beans?

Is there anything I'm lacking, something else I should eat to make my diet balanced?

I do take a lot of supplements, and have for a long time. I just realized I take fish oil, mainly for joint pain and to balance out all the omega sixes I used to eat. Is there something else that would take the place of fish oil? Or do I even need it?

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Vegan since 1991

Starchy foods are satisfying. I wonder if you might enjoy eating corn tortillas while you're driving? If you're careful, you can dip them in salsa as you're eating them. I enjoy this when I go to Mexican restaurants.

Canned beans are convenient - I don't think there's much difference nutritionally. Before I got married, I used to eat canned beans and corn all the time.

I don't know if you need omega-3 supplements, but they do make vegan versions of these: https://www.amazon.com/Ovega-3-Veget.../dp/B004LL7AXE

I think you're doing fine. The almond milk (assuming that it's fortified with calcium and vitamin D) is a good choice. You're eating plenty of beans and grains, which is great.

Continue to focus on eating enough calories.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

It looks good, I suggest

Try and get fresh green veg, even if just occassionally every couple of weeks.
Source of iodine: it may be added to table salt in some countries if you use that, check ingredients. I eat cranberries and strawberries for iodine as well.
Walnuts or chia seeds for Omega 3 to replace fish oil.

Eat more at lunch. Try and stop for 15 minutes and have a proper break and eat some carbs (bread, rice, pasta for instance, prepared the night before).
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Vegan since 1991

If you roll up a corn tortilla, it's easy to hold and dip. That's how I do things if I'm at a Mexican bar: rolled-up tortilla in one hand, drink in the other. Easy to dip the rolled-up tortilla in salsa. Very satisfying and filling.

If you're eating an enormous salad every day, I don't think you need the carrots.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page