day 11 of 31 of a veganism! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nikki Blant
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Thalassa
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
day 11 of 31 of a veganism!

Hi all

I have been thinking about 'being vegan' for some months now and decided to try it out with a 'test' month of August. I really want to see whether I could untrain my mind and think about meals and treats without meat, fish and diary.

Anywho. Like the title says, it's day 11. And I don't feel so great! I feel a bit tired, and sluggish, it's been hard to get up in the morning. I have also had some cramps in my stomach.

I have had fruits (fresh and dried), nuts, hummus, vegetables (including leafy greens) rice, bread, peanut butter, quinoa, vegan sausages, sweet potatoes and dark chocolate for a treat (and a couple of beers which I checked were vegan!)

I didn't use to eat much bread but I have been having toast and peanut butter for breakfast most days, with a crumpet and vegan butter for a snack in the afternoon. I'm wondering whether I'm feeling sluggish because of my intake in bread has gone up (I didn't really used to eat it when I ate meat!)

Any advice from anyone? I have been logging my meals on myfitnesspal so I could always share them if people are interested in having a look.

Best wishes,
Nikki
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Nikki Blant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
Is this your first time experiencing these things?
I'm 53, I've been through many styles of eating, many life changes, etc. I've gone through bouts of lethargy, hard mornings, and my share of intermittent cramping.
Even it is food related, it's not an omni vs veg'n, but your choices.
What kind of diet are you transitioning from? Are the foods you're eating now ones you've been eating all along
Vegan doesn't mean healthy anymore than omni means unhealthy. I can guarentee adding to meat or dairy to your present foods won't help unless you're really not getting protein, and it sounds like you are.

It's very probable it's something unrelated to diet, esp in this short time. It is good you're tracking though.

http://www.veganhealth.org/

Good luck and stay with us! Sorry for the abrupt reply, but checking here from work!
silva is offline  
#3 Old 08-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
An increase in fruits, veggies, beans, and other high fiber foods could cause cramping if you aren't used to the added fiber. It may take a few months for this to even out. If you are eating a lot of your fruits and veggies raw, I'd recommend cooking them to ease into the transition. Rinse canned beans well before using, and soak/cook dried beans well. Eleven days isn't that long at all, so your body may be adjusting to eating in a whole new way.

Also, check out our breakfast thread in the recipe section! There are so many options for breakfast! Quick and easy ones too! Have you ever tried mixing canned pumpkin, peanut butter, and banana? Or how about some cream of wheat? Smoothies are great for energy too!

And welcome!
Thalassa and 121938 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Rinse canned beans well before using
I see people (especially on this board) constantly advising to do this, and I don't understand it. I never rinse my canned beans since the dishes I eat beans with usually require the liquid that comes in it to make the sauce, and it's never caused any problems at all for me.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
#5 Old 08-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I see people (especially on this board) constantly advising to do this, and I don't understand it. I never rinse my canned beans since the dishes I eat beans with usually require the liquid that comes in it to make the sauce, and it's never caused any problems at all for me.

You don't have to rinse the beans. I always advise people to rinse them because I think the liquid in the can tastes terrible. Also, if the canned beans contain salt, then rinsing them helps to get rid of extra salt (I always choose canned beans with no added salt).

.

.
LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#6 Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Blant View Post
Hi all

Any advice from anyone? I have been logging my meals on myfitnesspal so I could always share them if people are interested in having a look.

Best wishes,
Nikki

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies usually take longer than 11 days to develop.

According to MyFitnessPal, how many calories are you eating each day? Not eating enough calories is a common mistake made by new vegans, and it will definitely make you fatigued (not enough gasoline in the tank!).

.
Thalassa likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#7 Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Bandit
 
Thalassa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 544
Like other people have pointed out, nothing drastic has happened to you nutritionally in 11 days.

I would guess it's one of two things:

1) You went from high protein to low protein, and while high protein diets are generally too much for your body to handle (Dr. Atkins dropped dead, the guy who started Paleo isn't looking too fit ten years down the road, it's been linked to problems with heart disease and kidneys or liver) ...you don't want to go SO LOW in protein that you don't feel satisfied, or are having sugar crashes. If you are eating more bread, get whole grains, and maybe add some beans and tofu.

OR

2) You're just not getting enough calories. Especially if you work out, going under a certain number of calories will make you feel sluggish or less energetic.
LedBoots likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Thalassa is offline  
#8 Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Hi all

Here is my food from yesterday -
B'fast: crumpets, pure sunflower spread (240 calories)
Snack: punnet of fresh cherries (75 calories)
lunch: homemade chickpea, tomato and spinach curry with basmati rice (350 calories)
Snack: pistachios, hummus and ricecakes (300 calories)
Dinner: nut burger, sweet potato wedges, avocado and tomato salad with some sweet chilli sauce (570 calories)
Snack: dark chocolate (100 calories)

This is total calories of around 1650.
I burnt around 300 calories cycling to work and doing a lunchtime yoga class.

Today it will be:
B'fast: vegan sausage sandwich with spinach and avocado and sweet chilli sauce (I'm a bit addicted to sweet chilli sauce!)
Snack: Dried prunes and fresh strawberries
Lunch: Homemade roasted vegetable and cous cous with hummus
Snack: Banana and some carrot sticks
Dinner: Eating out and have pre-ordered the veggie burger and will probably have a pint of beer or two.

I haven't worked out the calories of today yet!


To answer some of the questions:
- I have felt like this previously, but normally because of burning the candle at both ends and it's never lasted a whole week!
- My previous diet was omnivore and I've started this month to see whether I can transition to vegan permanently. (I stopped drinking cows milk around a year ago and stopped eating pork around 6 months ago however)
- The cramping could be extra fibre. I have never eaten so many lentils, chickpeas and beans in my life previously!
- The canned pumpkin sounds great but I've never seen that in a UK supermarket, I'll keep my eyes peeled

Myfitnesspal is logging a deficit in protein (yesterdays diary was 40g protein and my daily goal was 77g) and I'm over on carbs (goal was 192g and I ate 223g).

My plan of action will be to try and up my protein intake by having a protein rich smoothie for breakfast instead of processed carbs, and switch to low GI grains (no white bread, white potatoes, limited pasta and cous cous) for my meals and snacks.

Thanks for all your advice, I really want to make this work as I know it's possible and I truly believe that a plant based diet is best for health and the environment.

Just a quick question about the people saying 'nothing drastic has happened to you nutritionally in 11 days'. How long would it take? And if you stopped eating macdonalds for 11 days say, would you see the benefits before stopping eating minerals/vitamins would see a decrease? I may not have worded that well! I was surprised that 11 days would not see a deficit in something if you weren't eating enough, especially given that I would have guessed (no evidence!) that if you were over eating salt and fat, you would see the benefits within 11 days... Any more information about that would be greatly received! It will really help me field questions from my friends and family when I reveal to them the vegan month will (hopefully) continue!

Nikki
Nikki Blant is offline  
#9 Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I see people (especially on this board) constantly advising to do this, and I don't understand it. I never rinse my canned beans since the dishes I eat beans with usually require the liquid that comes in it to make the sauce, and it's never caused any problems at all for me.
The sodium content in canned beans is fairly high, and some people react to it, but not everyone. Rinsing helps reduce the sodium.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#10 Old 08-12-2016, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Blant View Post
Hi all

Here is my food from yesterday -
B'fast: crumpets, pure sunflower spread (240 calories)
Snack: punnet of fresh cherries (75 calories)
lunch: homemade chickpea, tomato and spinach curry with basmati rice (350 calories)
Snack: pistachios, hummus and ricecakes (300 calories)
Dinner: nut burger, sweet potato wedges, avocado and tomato salad with some sweet chilli sauce (570 calories)
Snack: dark chocolate (100 calories)

This is total calories of around 1650.
I burnt around 300 calories cycling to work and doing a lunchtime yoga class.

Today it will be:
B'fast: vegan sausage sandwich with spinach and avocado and sweet chilli sauce (I'm a bit addicted to sweet chilli sauce!)
Snack: Dried prunes and fresh strawberries
Lunch: Homemade roasted vegetable and cous cous with hummus
Snack: Banana and some carrot sticks
Dinner: Eating out and have pre-ordered the veggie burger and will probably have a pint of beer or two.

I haven't worked out the calories of today yet!


To answer some of the questions:
- I have felt like this previously, but normally because of burning the candle at both ends and it's never lasted a whole week!
- My previous diet was omnivore and I've started this month to see whether I can transition to vegan permanently. (I stopped drinking cows milk around a year ago and stopped eating pork around 6 months ago however)
- The cramping could be extra fibre. I have never eaten so many lentils, chickpeas and beans in my life previously!
- The canned pumpkin sounds great but I've never seen that in a UK supermarket, I'll keep my eyes peeled

Myfitnesspal is logging a deficit in protein (yesterdays diary was 40g protein and my daily goal was 77g) and I'm over on carbs (goal was 192g and I ate 223g).

My plan of action will be to try and up my protein intake by having a protein rich smoothie for breakfast instead of processed carbs, and switch to low GI grains (no white bread, white potatoes, limited pasta and cous cous) for my meals and snacks.

Thanks for all your advice, I really want to make this work as I know it's possible and I truly believe that a plant based diet is best for health and the environment.

Just a quick question about the people saying 'nothing drastic has happened to you nutritionally in 11 days'. How long would it take? And if you stopped eating macdonalds for 11 days say, would you see the benefits before stopping eating minerals/vitamins would see a decrease? I may not have worded that well! I was surprised that 11 days would not see a deficit in something if you weren't eating enough, especially given that I would have guessed (no evidence!) that if you were over eating salt and fat, you would see the benefits within 11 days... Any more information about that would be greatly received! It will really help me field questions from my friends and family when I reveal to them the vegan month will (hopefully) continue!

Nikki
There is a difference between lacking vitamins/minerals and the immediate effects of stuff like sugar, salt, saturated fat etc. B12 for instance is stored in the body for a long time before it is depleted, sometimes years. Calcium is pulled from bones and into the blood by the body to maintain homeostasis when there is a shortage, so that a person wouldn't notice unless there was a drastic reduction. The body can compensate for a short time. Over a long period of time, deficiency in protein would begin to manifest itself with muscle strains and loss, less strength, etc. Those do not happen instantly, unless you try to lift weights on way too few calories or during fasting over a few days to a week (recovery from the exercise would be a much slower process). Iron depletion doesn't happen instantly either, unless one is hemorrhaging. Even low vitamin D can take a while to show symptoms. However, instantly reducing saturated fat and salt in the diet can make one feel "lighter", increase energy, decrease blood pressure, and decrease inflammation fairly quickly, though repair of blood vessels could take much longer.

If one isn't eating enough, it's not necessarily a single vitamin or mineral that will be missing, it's overall energy level that goes down, digestion may slow a little, one may feel weak and lightheaded, have headaches etc. If you have ever fasted, it doesn't take long to manifest those kinds of symptoms, though you may not be deficient in any particular nutrient over a few days. It's the overall lack of calories which equal energy.

Your diet looks healthy and varied, but maybe 1650 calories isn't enough with your exercise and calories burned. Did you track calories before going vegan? Were they the same? Are you trying to lose weight or maintain? For some people 1650 calories with exercise would be a weight loss amount, depending on a person's size, fitness level, age etc.

Also, more protein isn't going to do a lot for energy level. Fat and carbs are the fuel for energy. But if you are straining muscles or feel like you are losing strength, that would be a sign you aren't getting enough.

Some plant based higher protein foods would be tofu, tempeh, lentils, seitan. Mixing dishes with stuff like broccoli, brown rice, and a cup or so of beans would give you a decent amount of protein in a meal also. Adding chia seeds to smoothies can provide a boost. Snacks like mixed roasted pumpkin seeds and raisins/dates are great for sneaking in some protein too, or homemade energy bars. I rarely eat fruit as a snack alone because it can make my blood sugar raise and then drop more quickly. But having fruit with nuts/seeds, or some other more steady carb eliminates that. Apples don't have that affect on me though. Sometimes it is a matter of playing around with meals and snacks and ratios to find what works best for you. I tend to feel best with a 70/15/15 ratio of carbs, protein, fat, but some people feel better with less carbs and more fat, or lower fat and more carbs.

Ive been vegan for a long time, but I do remember when I first went vegan, my energy level exploded (I went from running ten miles a week to 40 practically overnight, as well as biking to work and lifting weights etc). However, over a few months I had started to feel weaker and was struggling with the rowing machine at the gym, something I had loved doing before. I also lost six lbs very quickly and had already been slightly underweight, so I had to adjust intake and eat more than I had been used to eating as an omni to gain and then maintain. Eventually my strength came back. It was a learning process. I had already been eating a fair amount of beans and fruits/veggies as an omni, and had avoided dairy for years due to intolreance, so my transition was a matter of giving up eggs and fish and occasional chicken/turkey and byproducts. However, I did a few periods of all raw vegan and my digestion went crazy! I was cramping and pooping a LOT. I think the more drastic your diet change, the longer it will take to adjust. The gut flora of long term vegans is different than omnis.

I forgot to ask, do you drink enough water?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#11 Old 08-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Your diet looks healthy and varied, but maybe 1650 calories isn't enough with your exercise and calories burned. Did you track calories before going vegan? Were they the same? Are you trying to lose weight or maintain? For some people 1650 calories with exercise would be a weight loss amount, depending on a person's size, fitness level, age etc.

Also, more protein isn't going to do a lot for energy level. Fat and carbs are the fuel for energy. But if you are straining muscles or feel like you are losing strength, that would be a sign you aren't getting enough.

I forgot to ask, do you drink enough water?
That's all really great information, thanks so much for taking the time.

I always have a full 2l bottle of water on my desk at work, sometimes I get through half of this, sometimes I have to fill it up again. I think I could do better with water tbh.

I am trying to lose weight actually. I have a BMI of 26.5 at the moment (weigh 11st 5, height 5ft 5) and I'd like to get it down to 24 and be 10st 5. I started dieting in April with Slimming World and lost 21lbs but I was shocked how unhealthy that diet is. Processed foods with sweetener and so much meat and dairy. You aren't encouraged to eat avocado, nuts or seeds as these are seen as high in fat but you can have as many mugshots and mullerlight as you can stand. Gross! I left two weeks ago after 3 months, realising I wasn't really following the diet anymore, was making it up as a went, but still giving them £5 a week!

I will keep tracking my food , focusing on the calorie intake rather than the macros, and perhaps keep a mood diary to see when I feel at my most lethargic and my most energetic. I can try to map this back to what I've eaten in the last hour or two to see if there is any correlation.
Nikki Blant is offline  
#12 Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
The sodium content in canned beans is fairly high, and some people react to it, but not everyone. Rinsing helps reduce the sodium.
I think rinsing helps with reduce the gassiness efdects of the beans, too.
LedBoots is offline  
#13 Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Up your water intake! When you suddenly inc rease your fiber, you must increase your wa ter. It also really helps to supplement wit h magnesium for that. Not drinking enough w ater will make you feel tired and you shou ld also take a B12 supplement. Your two di et logs indicate you're not getting enough  protein or iron, and you're not eating enou gh greens, which really help with your ener gy level! Try eating seitan, it is very le an and has tons and tons of protein!
cogey is offline  
#14 Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogey View Post
Up your water intake! When you suddenly inc rease your fiber, you must increase your wa ter. It also really helps to supplement wit h magnesium for that. Not drinking enough w ater will make you feel tired and you shou ld also take a B12 supplement. Your two di et logs indicate you're not getting enough  protein or iron, and you're not eating enou gh greens, which really help with your ener gy level! Try eating seitan, it is very le an and has tons and tons of protein!
Hi Cogey
I have been drinking 2l a day, is this enough?
I already take B12.
Both of my meal logs contained spinach and 'salad' which was lettuce, so I do eat leafy greens (and the two days were just examples)
I think my iron is OK from sources like seeds, rice, oats, pistachios, broccoli? Or should I have a supplement too?
Is Seiten like tofu? Are you UK, and do you know where I can buy it?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Nikki Blant is offline  
#15 Old 08-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Hi there, I have just come back from Holland & Barratt and they have Seitan burger in their chilled section. I picked up some VBites fish sticks to try, and was tempted by the Seitan, so if you do try would be interested to hear what it is like. Have a great day
daphney1 is offline  
#16 Old 08-17-2016, 07:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 23
Also, like yourself I used to do slimming world and kept gaining and losing the same 5lb/10lb for a couple of years. You will lose the weight healthily and by eating good food on the vegan diet. Unfortunately, as you said slimming world limits huge groups or really great, nutritious food, so you were definitely missing out. I never realised how much sugar I ate on SW either! I have lost 20lbs since going from veggie to vegan in Feb this year. Good luck and enjoy the lovely food
daphney1 is offline  
#17 Old 10-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 31
Might it be the bread intake? I get lots of cramps and feel pretty sluggish when I eat a lot of bread. Most bread in the US here is horrible (sorry I'm European)... I stopped eating bread for most of the time and feel a lot better!
I also take a vegan multi each day with you know enough % for each day. You might try that instead of focusing only B12. That was recommended to me at least..
Oooo is offline  
#18 Old 12-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: PEI, Canada
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
You don't have to rinse the beans. I always advise people to rinse them because I think the liquid in the can tastes terrible. Also, if the canned beans contain salt, then rinsing them helps to get rid of extra salt (I always choose canned beans with no added salt).

.

.
I was just reading somewhere that beans and lentils should be soaked for 8 hours for lentils and 24 for beans because they have phytic acid which can be very problematic for some folks. Phytic acid is what prevents the beans from germinating and also helps them keep for ages. From this link: http://deeprootsathome.com/soaking-b...cid-and-beano/



When consumed on a regular basis, un-soaked and un-germinated grains and beans can irritate the digestive tract – potentially leading to a variety of health conditions including:

Food intolerances
Allergies
Gluten insensitivity
Impaired Immune function
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Leaky gut syndrome
Decaying teeth
Osteoporosis
Chronic Inflammation
Insulin resistance
Blocked absorption of minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc
Blocks protein absorption. This not only applies to the minerals and protein in the food that contains the phytic acid, but also the food you eat with it!

I've had some digestive issues for the last year so I'm going to give this change a chance and see if things improve.
121938 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off