-Vegan butter/cheese replacements? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

#1 Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM

-Vegan butter/cheese replacements?

I'm new to this lifestyle. I'm sorry if this is a silly question. Are there any cheese/butter replacements that you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Earth Balance buttery spread. Smart Balance organic is also vegan.

Daiya makes a really good cheese substitute and Chao slices are good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#3 Old 07-12-2016, 06:53 PM

-Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

For butter, I think Earth Balance tastes like normal butter (if palm oil isn't a problem for you). Becel also has a vegan butter, but I've never tried it.
For cheeses, out of the ones I've tried, Chao cheese slices from Field Roast and Daiya mozzarella shreds are the most decent ones, in my opinion. I have also heard good things about Follow Your Heart cheese.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 07-12-2016 at 07:03 PM.
#5 Old 07-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Plant Powered

I third the recommendation for Earth Balance. Daiya has cheddar cheese slices that are pretty good for grilled cheese, or for on veggie burgers - they have a really authentic texture, and melt really well. I've heard Miyoko's Kitchen cheeses are amazing, but haven't tried any yet - they are hard to find here! ^_^
Sophia Rahming and Thalassa like this.
#6 Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
For butter, I think Earth Balance tastes like normal butter (if palm oil isn't a problem for you). Becel also has a vegan butter, but I've never tried it.
For cheeses, out of the ones I've tried, Chao cheese slices from Field Roast and Daiya mozzarella shreds are the most decent ones, in my opinion. I have also heard good things about Follow Your Heart cheese.
I prefer the becel over earth balance. It's definitely more like margarine than butter, though. It's great for "normal" uses as well as baking - I've even made a vegan buttercream with it.

I second the daiya mozzarella shreds - I use them for pizza, lasagna, tofu scramble... Certainly not the same as cheese but it's a good replacement. The cheddar shreds are not nearly as good IMO.
Thalassa likes this.
#7 Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 PM

Me too! Earth Balance and there are several flavors differentiated by the color of the tub. I alternate as the mood strikes.
#8 Old 07-13-2016, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you remember how different vegan cheese from dairy cheese you're ok. I like to used vegan moz-- particularly Trader Joes which I think is Follow your heart moz shreds-- in things like enchiladas, burritos, lightly on pizza.
Daiya cheddar does taste just like American slices for a grilled cheese

If you feel like experimenting, and have a food processor, I do love this spread--
http://www.forkandbeans.com/2015/07/...er-substitute/

I'm uncertain as to whether the addition of D3 is actually more unethical than the use of palm oil. D3 is often the only animal sourced ingredient in many regular margarines. So rather than obsess, I tried this recipe and with some tweaks it makes a great spread!
I got the refined coconut oil at Big Lots at a good price. Next time I'm going to make cashew milk and try it with that
It's nice to flavor it with things like roasted garlic or herbs as you make it. I did buy liquid lecithin (from amazon.com) just for this, and now also use that for bread. It acts as an emulsifier to get things to bind together. Gives bread a great texture so wheat bread isn't all dry and crumbly but has that 'pull'

Olives, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, nuts--savory salty fatty foods, make good subs for cheese. I used to love blue cheese on salads, now use green olives and walnuts.
Tom likes this.
#9 Old 07-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Plant Powered

To expand upon the last point made by @silva , you will be pleasantly surprised at how many vegan foods have that wonderful umami flavour, that you won't even miss cheese! ^_^ Plus, IMHO, homemade vegan cheese sauce outstrips any dairy cheese sauce I've ever had in my life, BY FAR. Bonus, you don't feel like crap after you eat it lol.

My husband is still omni, and he even prefers my vegan mac & cheese to any he's had with dairy ^_^
Thalassa likes this.
#10 Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Oh man, I've been really liking black salt---kala namak found in Indian stores, Whole Foods, or online that I know. Any way, this morning I made toast and spread on some margarine then a good layer of nooch and thought to also sprinkle some black salt. It was incredible! I really love nooch mixed with margarine or vegan mayo, and usually some garlic powder, but the addition of black salt took it over the top!
Now I want to make mac and nooch with some black salt!
I did that in a macaroni salad too, it had mayo in it
Thalassa likes this.
#11 Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
To expand upon the last point made by @silva , you will be pleasantly surprised at how many vegan foods have that wonderful umami flavour, that you won't even miss cheese! ^_^ Plus, IMHO, homemade vegan cheese sauce outstrips any dairy cheese sauce I've ever had in my life, BY FAR. Bonus, you don't feel like crap after you eat it lol.

My husband is still omni, and he even prefers my vegan mac & cheese to any he's had with dairy ^_^
Okay now you gotta post your recipe.
I will say I've learned to love non dairy counterparts, but certainly after I learned their not replacements, and to appreciate them for what they are. It's not like I wouldn't love a real mozzerella pizza I even wish it make me sick! It didn't the last time after all that time
#12 Old 07-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
It's not like I wouldn't love a real mozzerella pizza I even wish it make me sick! It didn't the last time after all that time

I feel your pain. It's been 11 years and it still makes me

#13 Old 07-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I vote olives as my favorite cheese replacement
Green, black, kalamata, those burgundy ones cured in oil
I always wondered wondered how the little bottles of pimento stuffed green can be so cheap> I just picked up a large jar of sliced pimento stuffed green for $2.29! I've waiting for a cool spell to make calzones
Thalassa likes this.
#14 Old 07-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't met an olive I didn't like.

Thalassa likes this.
#15 Old 07-14-2016, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm another one that is not big on vegan cheese and butter. My first two years vegan I avoided vegan commercial cheeses altogether. I really got into making nutritional yeast cheese sauce, and homemade cashew and almond nut "cheese". I still tend to use homemade bean dips or hummus on toast, or tomato paste on toast, or avocado slices and sliced tomato for grilled sandwiches. I love tahini based salad dressings for their creaminess. And blending tofu with fruit or lemon juice or cocoa powder and maple syrup makes a nice rich creamy pudding with the consistency and high protein/calcium content comparable to Greek yogurt, and not too sweet like some of the vegan yogurts.

Most dairy had made me sick as an omni, with the exception of plain greek yogurt, so I had avoided it for a long time. It was only natural that I had no interest in the vegan versions either. But later I expanded my palate and gave a few a try (and because I wanted to advocate all aspects of veganism and be able to share with omnis my experience with vegan versions of their favorite stuff). I still have only eaten Daiya products (specifically the shreds and sliceable cheeses), and PunkRawk Labs vegan cheese (nut based and by far the best vegan cheese!). The latter is VERY expensive though. I once tried Chao slices at a vegan potluck and like that too.

I have used Earth Balance margarine from time to time, but try to keep my use of it to a minimum due to the high fat content and use of palm oil in it (even if it is "sustainable" palm oil). I think it is the only vegan margarine I have tried. I have made frosting (again only a few times a year) using avocado as a base for chocolate frosting, or coconut butter (not oil) as a base for white frosting, with success as well in place of butter.
Thalassa likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Okay now you gotta post your recipe.
I will say I've learned to love non dairy counterparts, but certainly after I learned their not replacements, and to appreciate them for what they are. It's not like I wouldn't love a real mozzerella pizza I even wish it make me sick! It didn't the last time after all that time
Hee hee - I can't take credit for it; it's a recipe from the book "But I Could Never Go Vegan" - she uses a tempeh bacon crumble as a topping, and bakes it afterwards, but I just left that whole part off and mixed the cheese sauce in with some macaroni, all by itself, and it was SCRUMPTIOUS!!

Highly recommend the book, it has some really yummy recipes, especially if you're cooking for non-vegans pretty regularly ^_^

I must say, I miss mozza too - I want to try Miyoko's one - I hear it's pretty good!
#17 Old 07-30-2016, 12:58 AM
Bandit

Quote:
I vote olives as my favorite cheese replacement
Green, black, kalamata, those burgundy ones cured in oil
I always wondered wondered how the little bottles of pimento stuffed green can be so cheap> I just picked up a large jar of sliced pimento stuffed green for $2.29! I've waiting for a cool spell to make calzones

I agree about olives, at least on vegan pizza. I've discovered that crust and extra sauce are the first big step to delicious, a really quality pizza not based around cheese (so not Pizza Hut or Domino's, my favorite is 800 Degrees but I also like Mod)....but then yes to make the vegan cheese super satisfying, I think Kalamata olives are key as one of the toppings (I also usually get mushrooms, garlic, basil and tomatoes).

Otherwise a lot of times it's better for me to eat avacado, or guacamole, or hummus, or something with nutritional yeast, I don't see vegan cheese being a staple.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#18 Old 07-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs up on olives, mushrooms, pickles, salsa! Those kinds of ingredients make cheese superfluous. I love a sub sandwich made with a baguette, and piled on the peppers, avocados, olives, onions, salsa etc. Spaghetti sauce with olives and mushrooms and onions, pizza sauce. No cheese really needed. I tried to eat some of that dya cheese once, and it was expensive and tasteless, and you are right, I would rather get some nice olives for the same price.
Thalassa likes this.
#19 Old 07-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

For new vegans, the vegan cheeses and meats can make the difference in succeeding or giving up on it altogether.
karenlovessnow likes this.
#20 Old 07-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know if I'm just too sensitive because my diet isn't all 'whole food plant based', but I keep getting the feeling vegans who aren't all health based are being patronize. The 'transition' foods, 'since I've been veg'n so long I avoid them', 'I don't like them but don't judge others who do'

Lets be clear about one thing-- these are called 'faux meats' and 'vegan cheeses' because they don't have better names. the day that they put out a vegan product that resembles a freshly cut piece of animal flesh is the day they have made 'faux meat'. Vegan deli slices, pepperoni, sausages-- they have spices and smoke in common with meat, not the flesh.

Vegan meats and cheeses are great choices for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores alike.
If you don't like them for whatever reason, who cares? It doesn't make you more dedicated as a vegan, only more dedicated to healthier eating.

I remember an old newer member who posted that she felt put down for liking these processed foods. I responded that she was being overly sensitive. She never returned. I always felt bad for responding that way because I can now understand how that felt
#21 Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Bandit

Some people point out they don't enjoy them for the same reasons others say that they do. Faux cheese has little nutritional value, and I personally mostly eat it on pizza or sandwiches for added flavor. Early on I noticed eating vegan cheese often didn't taste as good, I enjoyed it more once and a while.

Another thing, too, is that not everyone is middle class. Some vegans are working class, students, or on welfare. The maximum nutrition for the least money is hands down a nutritional yeast cheese sauce over pasta or veggies, I have had to talk some transitioners down out of a tree practically, because they were freaked out by the cost of replacements. The answer of course is to eat those supplementally, and mostly eat whole foods, because it can actually be cheaper.

I honestly liked cheese so much that using avacado, olive oil and hummus were really key for me when trying to get off of cheese.

There's no need to get offended unless someone is actually trying to make you feel bad about eating replacements.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

Ingrid Newkirk
#22 Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 PM

Earth balance is good, ut honestly unrefined oils are the best for health and flavor (Like extra virgin olive oil or unrefined coconut oil). What are you looking to make?
#23 Old 07-31-2016, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I personally try to strike a balance with regards to vegan cheese and meats and more "whole foods" like beans, nuts/seeds etc. I do enjoy Daiya products, Just Mayo, or Field Roast or Bocca patties from time to time, but they are not daily staples for me. I do see nutritional value in some of the vegan "meat" products for their iron, protein, etc. They are easy convenient foods for when traveling or camping and so on, and they can be very enjoyable/pleasurable to the palate. My partner LOVES them, and it keeps him from eating meat and dairy cheese, so I include them in my diet and household (I am the shopper and cook). My partner is not big on veggies, but if I throw some Field Roast apple sage sausage in a skillet with cabbage, apples, and sauerkraut, he'll devour it all without batting an eye at the cabbage lol.

Some of the products are hard to find and/or expensive. But so are whole nuts, tahini, organic produce, oils. I think it's great that we embrace all our options as vegans. There is a lot of middle ground. I think it is actually more rare for people to embrace entirely whole plant foods, or entirely processed foods. I think a great many of us include a little of both.

I remember posting about visiting the Vegan Butcher Shop in Minneapolis, and getting a few comments from the Whole Foods Crowd, both here and other places. I really wish vegans wouldn't condemn plant based companies for trying to make a difference. There are so many other battles to fight, you know? I've recently seen some nasty attacks from vegans in other groups on companies like Daiya and Earth Balance for including "artificial ingredients" or "palm oil" in some of their products. And yet these vegans wouldn't hesitate to buy Dole bananas, a company that is questionable at best with some of their practices.

I can see though how vegans get defensive because a lot of omnis think we only eat "faux" meats and cheeses with artificial ingredients, not "real" food. On the opposite spectrum are those who think we only eat sprouts and fruit and that our diet is too restrictive. I'm game for sharing ALL vegan food with others.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 07-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This! ^^^

No animals, no problemz! Everyone's tastes and circumstances are different, so let's support each other for giving up eating animals in the face of the vast majority's disdain and disbelief! Let's support each other, learn from one another, laugh together.
#25 Old 07-31-2016, 01:39 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I personally try to strike a balance with regards to vegan cheese and meats and more "whole foods" like beans, nuts/seeds etc. I do enjoy Daiya products, Just Mayo, or Field Roast or Bocca patties from time to time, but they are not daily staples for me. I do see nutritional value in some of the vegan "meat" products for their iron, protein, etc. They are easy convenient foods for when traveling or camping and so on, and they can be very enjoyable/pleasurable to the palate. My partner LOVES them, and it keeps him from eating meat and dairy cheese, so I include them in my diet and household (I am the shopper and cook). My partner is not big on veggies, but if I throw some Field Roast apple sage sausage in a skillet with cabbage, apples, and sauerkraut, he'll devour it all without batting an eye at the cabbage lol.

Some of the products are hard to find and/or expensive. But so are whole nuts, tahini, organic produce, oils. I think it's great that we embrace all our options as vegans. There is a lot of middle ground. I think it is actually more rare for people to embrace entirely whole plant foods, or entirely processed foods. I think a great many of us include a little of both.

I remember posting about visiting the Vegan Butcher Shop in Minneapolis, and getting a few comments from the Whole Foods Crowd, both here and other places. I really wish vegans wouldn't condemn plant based companies for trying to make a difference. There are so many other battles to fight, you know? I've recently seen some nasty attacks from vegans in other groups on companies like Daiya and Earth Balance for including "artificial ingredients" or "palm oil" in some of their products. And yet these vegans wouldn't hesitate to buy Dole bananas, a company that is questionable at best with some of their practices.

I can see though how vegans get defensive because a lot of omnis think we only eat "faux" meats and cheeses with artificial ingredients, not "real" food. On the opposite spectrum are those who think we only eat sprouts and fruit and that our diet is too restrictive. I'm game for sharing ALL vegan food with others.
I think this is a great post - but here's what I mean about cost. A bottle of canola oil goes further than Earth Balance over time. Tofu can be extremely cheap, dollars less than faux meats. Things like dry peas, beans or lentils, and oatmeal and rice are literally pennies per serving. Seitan can be made at home with vital wheat gluten. People on very restricted budgets can get vegetables and fruits that are not organic, and buy some which are canned or frozen. So let's say you do all that, and have some money left over, it doesn't seem like such a big deal to buy tahini, nuts, a good bread, or your favorite granola/nutrition bars. I have had arguments with people who are like why should I buy vegan hot dogs when real hot dogs are dirt cheap. Then you have to get into how gross meat hot dogs are, how canned spam or ham salad are really barely meat at all, that the quality of American processed cheese food slices is lower than the quality of Daiya...that vegan replacements are more on par with high quality meat and dairy. Some people are still going to complain about their food budget and yeah it is cheaper for them to add lentils, green pepper and onion to marinara sauce than meatless crumbles.

Ingrid Newkirk
#26 Old 07-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Earth balance is definitely my favorite vegan butter, flavor-wise. I usually use canola oil for cooking, but something like earth balance is irreplaceable when it comes to making vegan buttercream frosting or vegan buttered noodles (which is a staple in our house).

Daiya is the only vegan cheese I've found that I like so far. The others I've tried either have a grainy texture or an aftertaste I'm not fond of. Different people have different preferences though, so I find that with vegan substitutes in general the only way to really find what you like is to just try different foods. I don't use much vegan cheese - but daiya is popping up in a lot of pizza restaurants and definitely improves a vegan pizza in my opinion. It's good on burritos and salads, too.

Living with an omni, I find that vegan substitutes make a huge difference in how easy it is to share meals. My SO eats almost all of the same meals as me, only really eating meat when we eat out (and when he goes out for lunch at work). His favorite meals all incorporate veggie crumbles: chili, tacos, spaghetti with "meat" sauce, burrito bowls. He doesn't mind bean-only chili, spaghetti marinara, or burritos and tacos with beans and veggies, but he feels more satisfied with the versions that incorporate the fake meats. And being honest, I prefer the veggie crumble versions of most of those myself. I also really love field roast sausages, and can't imagine life without vegan mayo.
#27 Old 08-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Plant Powered

@silva here is a recipe from the same gal whose recipe for mac & cheese I raved about; I haven't tried it yet, but it looks fairly similar, only with the addition of mushrooms, and is more of a "white cheese" sauce rather than an "orange cheese" sauce: the difference being the use of cauliflower instead of mustard/tomato sauce, etc. ^_^

http://keepinitkind.com/creamy-mushroom-mac-and-cheese/
#28 Old 08-15-2016, 11:14 AM

Toffuti brand vegan cheese is cheap and act ually good. Earth Balance or Smart balance  for butter. Chao or Miyoko's vegan cheeses  are the best, Daiya is gross in my opinion .
#29 Old 08-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Tofutti makes vegan cheese? I also just learned Go Veggie has vegan cheese now
I like Daiya cheddar shreds for grilled cheese, but only if I also have pickles for the side. Also for enchiladas.
I have to say I just hate recipes that call themselves cheese sauce that use potatoes. Just had to get that off my chest. Yeah, they're fine and all but so far from anything I'd call cheese sauce. Kinda like black bean brownies. Good, but not 'brownies', so when I click on the recipe I'm disappointed (again)

I made another batch of Myokos butter (with variations) and swear it's now my favorite of all! I made the mistake of not having something hot to mix in the food processor bowl to sop up all the residual butter. Noodles or veggies would have been great. I ended up using a slice of bread to wipe the bowl
Symondezyn likes this.
#30 Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:

I made another batch of Myokos butter (with variations) and swear it's now my favorite of all! I made the mistake of not having something hot to mix in the food processor bowl to sop up all the residual butter. Noodles or veggies would have been great. I ended up using a slice of bread to wipe the bowl
OMG you're making me salivate LOL - I want to make that butter too, but have been looking for liquid lecithin... did you use soy or sunflower? I found sunflower at my local health store, but didn't know if I could use it ^_^ I yearn for buttery home made noodles.... *drools*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page