VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Transitioning to Vegan (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/177-transitioning-vegan/)
-   -   advice on transitioning to vegan (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/177-transitioning-vegan/209833-advice-transitioning-vegan.html)

Symondezyn 05-26-2016 05:29 PM

advice on transitioning to vegan
 
Hi all :)

I am still a very new veggie (2.5 weeks now!). I've had no trouble at all nixing meat and eggs from my diet, and am just using up the little cream and butter we have left. We've been drinking soy milk for years so that's not a problem, nor do I mind switching to vegan replacements for other items.

My struggle is more a matter of wondering how far do you take it when you don't know what is in your food, for example, in a restaurant? I am finding the gap between vegetarian and vegan to be a little daunting in that regard.

I have no problem asking for no butter, no cheese, etc... but do you go so far as to ask if the bread is made with eggs, or if there is casein in the veggie burger? As a person with a tendency to OCD, I wonder if it's better for me not to even begin to go there, because I'm afraid it will be worse for my peace of mind than just doing what I can to avoid what I know for certain.

Can anyone offer some insight based on their personal experience? At what level of dedication is one "allowed" to call themselves a vegan? ^_^

David3 05-26-2016 05:36 PM

I used to make those kitchen inquiries: "Is there whey in the bread?" etc.

I've stopped doing that. Instead, I pretty much avoid restaurants, since restaurant food tends to be unhealthy anyway (too much fat, salt, etc.). When I do go to restaurants, I do ask them to make the dish without dairy products etc. However, I don't make detailed inquiries. I remain a bit troubled about that.


I don't know if I'm "allowed" to call myself a vegan (some people would say that I'm not), but I do anyway.


.

silva 05-26-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symondezyn (Post 3972657)
Hi all :)

I am still a very new veggie (2.5 weeks now!). I've had no trouble at all nixing meat and eggs from my diet, and am just using up the little cream and butter we have left. We've been drinking soy milk for years so that's not a problem, nor do I mind switching to vegan replacements for other items.

My struggle is more a matter of wondering how far do you take it when you don't know what is in your food, for example, in a restaurant? I am finding the gap between vegetarian and vegan to be a little daunting in that regard.

I have no problem asking for no butter, no cheese, etc... but do you go so far as to ask if the bread is made with eggs, or if there is casein in the veggie burger? As a person with a tendency to OCD, I wonder if it's better for me not to even begin to go there, because I'm afraid it will be worse for my peace of mind than just doing what I can to avoid what I know for certain.

Can anyone offer some insight based on their personal experience? At what level of dedication is one "allowed" to call themselves a vegan? ^_^

Oh I do understand the OCD!
I needed to allow myself to not obsess, or I'd stand in a store crying over jars of food! Wondering why some bulk beans had a vegan sticker and others didn't (that kinda happened in the beginning- i hunted down an employee and made them explain, and take them down)

I'm also like David3. I rarely go to restaurants, and when I do I know what I'm ordering.
Lesson learned at a Thai place-- they use fish stuff! Ask even if it's labeled or explained as being vegetarian. Never had fish on my radar till then. When sorted out though it was the best food I'd had out!

But no, I don't ask about every ingrediant out, and try to stick with whole foods, or things I know are animal free. I cut myself slack and don't even say vegan mostly. seems to work best until I get peoples vibe

nr32 05-26-2016 06:47 PM

@Symondezyn Whoa, 2.5 weeks? You've been doing this forever ;)

Personally, I enjoy going to restaurants... I think dining out is a "fun" thing to do. The hard question, however, is that even if a restaurant offers vegan options, is it ok for you to eat there? In other words, even if a restaurant has vegan options, would you still essentially be supporting a company that makes $$$ off meat (from other people)? So, what are we going to do? Stick to purely vegan restaurants? But wait... The farmers who grow the crops are often not vegan, and many of them grow livestock as well, so wouldn't I be supporting... etc. You can take it as far as you want, but where will it end?

Ultimately, we're on this planet for a really small amount of time. You need to draw the line somewhere so you don't let it sacrifice the quality of your own life. As I grew up, my family loved to grow our own vegetables, and this is where I draw the line. Find your line.

As for when you can call yourself a vegan... I think you are already well on your way there!

LedBoots 05-26-2016 07:57 PM

I don't worry about trace ingredients in restaurant and their prepared food, like bread. When I buy bread in the store, I buy vegan. I don't worry about bone char sugar in foods, but when I buy sugar, I get the bone char-free.

Being vegan is about doing what is practicable and possible, not about starving yourself because you can't find the perfect food, or not eating in restaurants because the bread might have honey in it.

Enjoy your new vegginess, and the new foods and tastes. Enjoy the falling away of guilt you never knew you had now that you are not eating animals. It's an awesome thing you are doing, big congratulations on your transition. Welcome to the Awesome side. :)

David3 05-26-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nr32 (Post 3972785)

Personally, I enjoy going to restaurants... I think dining out is a "fun" thing to do.


Wait, I didn't know that we vegans were allowed to have fun! I prefer to cry over the death of the dinosaurs. Invigorating!

.

meg moo 05-26-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David3 (Post 3972681)
I used to make those kitchen inquiries: "Is there whey in the bread?" etc.

I've stopped doing that. Instead, I pretty much avoid restaurants, since restaurant food tends to be unhealthy anyway (too much fat, salt, etc.). When I do go to restaurants, I do ask them to make the dish without dairy products etc. However, I don't make detailed inquiries. I remain a bit troubled about that.


I don't know if I'm "allowed" to call myself a vegan (some people would say that I'm not), but I do anyway.


.

i'm calling the vegan police!! lol :P

meg moo 05-26-2016 08:17 PM

I will tell the place no dairy or eggs usually when I'm ordering something but I also get uncomfortable asking too many questions in a restaurant

nr32 05-26-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David3 (Post 3972857)
Wait, I didn't know that we vegans were allowed to have fun! I prefer to cry over the death of the dinosaurs. Invigorating!

You didn't know? I expected better from you, man. *smh*

Wow, invigorating indeed, and here I thought I was the only one! Sunday 3pm to 4pm crying over dinosaurs let's do it

Symondezyn 05-26-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3972737)
Oh I do understand the OCD!
I needed to allow myself to not obsess, or I'd stand in a store crying over jars of food! Wondering why some bulk beans had a vegan sticker and others didn't (that kinda happened in the beginning- i hunted down an employee and made them explain, and take them down)

Yes, I can definitely see me doing this LOL - not so good for convincing my family and friends I haven't actually gone mental! ^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3972833)
I don't worry about trace ingredients in restaurant and their prepared food, like bread. When I buy bread in the store, I buy vegan. I don't worry about bone char sugar in foods, but when I buy sugar, I get the bone char-free.

Being vegan is about doing what is practicable and possible, not about starving yourself because you can't find the perfect food, or not eating in restaurants because the bread might have honey in it.

Enjoy your new vegginess, and the new foods and tastes. Enjoy the falling away of guilt you never knew you had now that you are not eating animals. It's an awesome thing you are doing, big congratulations on your transition. Welcome to the Awesome side. :)

Thank you so much for your kind words - the concept of "do no harm" is what led me to veg*ism and I feel as though when we hurt ourselves for not being perfect, or not being able to do a perceived "enough", it takes away from the things we are doing :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by meg moo (Post 3972873)
I will tell the place no dairy or eggs usually when I'm ordering something but I also get uncomfortable asking too many questions in a restaurant

oh me too... partly because I've worked in customer service and I know how awful it can be, and partly because I don't want a side order of loogie with my veggie burger LOL :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by David3 (Post 3972681)
I used to make those kitchen inquiries: "Is there whey in the bread?" etc.

I've stopped doing that. Instead, I pretty much avoid restaurants, since restaurant food tends to be unhealthy anyway (too much fat, salt, etc.). When I do go to restaurants, I do ask them to make the dish without dairy products etc. However, I don't make detailed inquiries. I remain a bit troubled about that.


I don't know if I'm "allowed" to call myself a vegan (some people would say that I'm not), but I do anyway.


Thank you so much for your honesty <3 I struggle with whether a label is important or not, and I think to some degree it is, but in other ways it seems silly to define the concept of compassion with one word. To each of us it means something different. I am so SOOO new at this, but I want so much to believe that the idea of embracing a vegan lifestyle based on ethics means simply, to not willingly contribute to the suffering of animals. We could take it so so far down the rabbit hole but I think that starts to become counter-productive. I don't know what the vegan police would say LOL but to me you are a model vegan ^_^

Thalassa4 05-27-2016 12:30 AM

This can take a while. Though there are vegan chain restaurants like Native Foods and Veggie Grill (probably mostly in California and Washington and Oregon, because we're dirty hippies) other chains like Panera Bread, Chipotle and Taco Bell have vegan options.

Panera: blueberry bagels, Mediterranean veggie sandwich minus feta, Modern Greek Quinoa salad minus feta (or kale quinoa almond salad), Black bean soup, low fat garden vegetable minus pesto in a yummy bread bowl, apple, kettle chips, baguette, and coffee with special request of almond milk, or plain iced tea

Chipotle: any variation on their dishes with sofritas, beans, rice, veggies, guac, and salsa

Taco Bell: most things can be subbed beans for beef, guacamole for sour cream, no cheese, add red sauce, add onions, add lettuce, add tomato on soooooo many items, from bean burrito, to supreme taco, to taco salad and crunch wraps...plus chips and salsa, cinnamon crisps, and potato tacos with red sauce, or guacamole, or add potato to bean burritos.

Dennys: get the veggie burger with no mayo, no cheese, add guacamole, add mushrooms, bring your own Just Mayo or Vegenaise in your purse...it's a great veggie burger, it's Amys California Burger. Eat with fries or salad. ..or get the veggie skillet with no egg whites, add avacado, make sure they offer the salsa on the side. Iced tea or black coffee.

Symondezyn 05-27-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalassa4 (Post 3973209)
This can take a while. Though there are vegan chain restaurants like Native Foods and Veggie Grill (probably mostly in California and Washington and Oregon, because we're dirty hippies) other chains like Panera Bread, Chipotle and Taco Bell have vegan options.

Panera: blueberry bagels, Mediterranean veggie sandwich minus feta, Modern Greek Quinoa salad minus feta (or kale quinoa almond salad), Black bean soup, low fat garden vegetable minus pesto in a yummy bread bowl, apple, kettle chips, baguette, and coffee with special request of almond milk, or plain iced tea

Chipotle: any variation on their dishes with sofritas, beans, rice, veggies, guac, and salsa

Taco Bell: most things can be subbed beans for beef, guacamole for sour cream, no cheese, add red sauce, add onions, add lettuce, add tomato on soooooo many items, from bean burrito, to supreme taco, to taco salad and crunch wraps...plus chips and salsa, cinnamon crisps, and potato tacos with red sauce, or guacamole, or add potato to bean burritos.

Dennys: get the veggie burger with no mayo, no cheese, add guacamole, add mushrooms, bring your own Just Mayo or Vegenaise in your purse...it's a great veggie burger, it's Amys California Burger. Eat with fries or salad. ..or get the veggie skillet with no egg whites, add avacado, make sure they offer the salsa on the side. Iced tea or black coffee.

Thank you SO much for your thoughtful answer!! I live in Canada so our chains are somewhat different; some of them we have but most we don't :) Luckily I live in Western Canada, near Vancouver so we lean towards the hippie-yoga-recycling crowd too!! LOL!! My husband and I tend to favour small, locally owned restaurants, which sometimes makes it easier to request special options because they are not cooking from a formulaic menu :) Pubs and larger restaurants are a little harder though! ^_^ I like the sounds of that Veggie Grill - I think we need one here!!

I am SO GLAD you mentioned bringing your own Vegenaise!! I was going to ask if anyone here did that!! :D I have been carrying my own sugar replacement in my purse for years so I figure why not carry a little Vegenaise or Daiya too LOLOL!! ^_^

fruitprincess 05-28-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symondezyn (Post 3973433)
Thank you SO much for your thoughtful answer!! I live in Canada so our chains are somewhat different; some of them we have but most we don't :) Luckily I live in Western Canada, near Vancouver so we lean towards the hippie-yoga-recycling crowd too!! LOL!! My husband and I tend to favour small, locally owned restaurants, which sometimes makes it easier to request special options because they are not cooking from a formulaic menu :) Pubs and larger restaurants are a little harder though! ^_^ I like the sounds of that Veggie Grill - I think we need one here!!

I am SO GLAD you mentioned bringing your own Vegenaise!! I was going to ask if anyone here did that!! :D I have been carrying my own sugar replacement in my purse for years so I figure why not carry a little Vegenaise or Daiya too LOLOL!! ^_^

Hey there! I live near vancouver too and there are a TON of vegan restaurants I'm not sure if you know of them but o m g they changed my life, and they are hella affordable!!!

3G vegetarian- It's on west 16th and cambie...they have authentic chinese food that tastes like the pre vegan kind, the sweet and sour pork is out of this world!!

meet on main- fully vegan menu, i got a mac and cheese burger there!!

Vegan pizza house- They have every kind!! "ham" and cheese, hawaiian, veggie meat lovers, any!! it's on 2119 kingsway

cartems donuterie- they have all vegan menu plus some that aren't but they do a fantastic salted caramel one.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head I hope this helps!! :nerd:

LedBoots 05-28-2016 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symondezyn (Post 3973433)
Thank you SO much for your thoughtful answer!! I live in Canada so our chains are somewhat different; some of them we have but most we don't :) Luckily I live in Western Canada, near Vancouver so we lean towards the hippie-yoga-recycling crowd too!! LOL!! My husband and I tend to favour small, locally owned restaurants, which sometimes makes it easier to request special options because they are not cooking from a formulaic menu :) Pubs and larger restaurants are a little harder though! ^_^ I like the sounds of that Veggie Grill - I think we need one here!!

I am SO GLAD you mentioned bringing your own Vegenaise!! I was going to ask if anyone here did that!! :D I have been carrying my own sugar replacement in my purse for years so I figure why not carry a little Vegenaise or Daiya too LOLOL!! ^_^

My work cafeteria has individual packages of (vegan) Just Mayo Light! So now I have a couple in my purse in my food Ziploc bag, along with little siracha packs, a cliff bar, package of trail mix, and a little sugar package (that one in case I see an unconscious person, if they are diabetic and had a blood sugar crash, a couple grains of sugar on the tongue will wake them wake up like magic. Did it in a NYC subway one time and got a round of applause--from New Yorkers lol!)

silva 05-28-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3973881)
My work cafeteria has individual packages of (vegan) Just Mayo Light! So now I have a couple in my purse in my food Ziploc bag, along with little siracha packs, a cliff bar, package of trail mix, and a little sugar package (that one in case I see an unconscious person, if they are diabetic and had a blood sugar crash, a couple grains of sugar on the tongue will wake them wake up like magic. Did it in a NYC subway one time and got a round of applause--from New Yorkers lol!)

There's a just mayo light? Really?
I wonder if you're a test market, it doesn't show on it's site.
Hope it's not as 'light' as Trader Joes fat free! That was my first vegan mayo, and, not very good :( Workable, but not good

Symondezyn 05-28-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitprincess (Post 3973857)
Hey there! I live near vancouver too and there are a TON of vegan restaurants I'm not sure if you know of them but o m g they changed my life, and they are hella affordable!!!

3G vegetarian- It's on west 16th and cambie...they have authentic chinese food that tastes like the pre vegan kind, the sweet and sour pork is out of this world!!

meet on main- fully vegan menu, i got a mac and cheese burger there!!

Vegan pizza house- They have every kind!! "ham" and cheese, hawaiian, veggie meat lovers, any!! it's on 2119 kingsway

cartems donuterie- they have all vegan menu plus some that aren't but they do a fantastic salted caramel one.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head I hope this helps!! :nerd:

YAY!!! You rock!! I'm in Langley so we don't head downtown during weekdays that often but you better believe I'm adding all those joints to my weekend-list! Cheers and cheers again - maybe I'll see you at one of them someday! :D

ETA: If you're ever in the Langley area, Veggie Bob's is an all-vegan hippie trip! He makes his own vegan sausage and "cheez" sauce, and the decor looks like a flat from the 60's - it's awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3973881)
My work cafeteria has individual packages of (vegan) Just Mayo Light! So now I have a couple in my purse in my food Ziploc bag, along with little siracha packs, a cliff bar, package of trail mix, and a little sugar package (that one in case I see an unconscious person, if they are diabetic and had a blood sugar crash, a couple grains of sugar on the tongue will wake them wake up like magic. Did it in a NYC subway one time and got a round of applause--from New Yorkers lol!)

My dad was diabetic, and used to carry jam packets in his car and pocket in case of emergency, so I totally get that! Kudos to you for thinking of others - that is so kind!! :) Currently I carry little containers of trail mix and vegan protein bars in my purse but if I ever see packets of vegan mayo I will be adding that to the list!! :D (love the idea of sriracha packets too!!)

LedBoots 05-28-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3973921)
There's a just mayo light? Really?
I wonder if you're a test market, it doesn't show on it's site.
Hope it's not as 'light' as Trader Joes fat free! That was my first vegan mayo, and, not very good :( Workable, but not good

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...12312383c8.jpg

I haven't seen it in jars yet, but at our hospital cafeteria!

fruitprincess 05-30-2016 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symondezyn (Post 3974113)
YAY!!! You rock!! I'm in Langley so we don't head downtown during weekdays that often but you better believe I'm adding all those joints to my weekend-list! Cheers and cheers again - maybe I'll see you at one of them someday! :D

ETA: If you're ever in the Langley area, Veggie Bob's is an all-vegan hippie trip! He makes his own vegan sausage and "cheez" sauce, and the decor looks like a flat from the 60's - it's awesome!



Hey nice! I'm in Maple Ridge so I'll for SURE be heading over to veggie Bob's that sounds amazing!! Thanks for the tip>:D

EquiNicky 05-30-2016 09:40 AM

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to convince parents to let me become vegan? I've been vegetarian for 3 years now but they won't let me go vegan...

jessandreia 05-30-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquiNicky (Post 3975241)
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to convince parents to let me become vegan? I've been vegetarian for 3 years now but they won't let me go vegan...

What are their reasons to not let you go vegan?

EquiNicky 06-01-2016 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessandreia (Post 3975265)
What are their reasons to not let you go vegan?

They simply think that I couldn't stay healthy eating just vegan food...

jessandreia 06-01-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquiNicky (Post 3976433)
They simply think that I couldn't stay healthy eating just vegan food...

What do they think dairy has you can't get in vegan food? If it's calcium, research vegan foods that have calcium (some vegetables, fortified plants milks, tofu, etc.), and show them. Also, show them how there are a lot of athletes that are vegan.

At the end of the day, your parents will only believe what they want to believe. Maybe the best thing to do is to go vegan silently.

cogey 08-15-2016 11:36 AM

Oftentimes, I will look up a restaurants me nu before I go to decide what to get. And , if it's a chain type place, a lot of p eople have written blog posts about what yo u can get at that particular restaurant tha t's vegan! Another safe bet is to avoid an ything fried (eggs in batter) and bread. Ri ce, potatoes, and pasta are usually safe be ts and you can just remind the server that  you don't want it cooked in butter. Sourd ough is also a pretty safe bet, if you do  want bread. And if I can't find anything I deem "safe" as an entree, I get a bunc h of sides and make my own meal, like, wh enever I go to breakfast at a diner that  is so not vegan friendly, I get hash brown s with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and sour dough. And it's actually cheaper than an en tree!

Skylark 08-16-2016 10:00 PM

I ask questions about the animal ingredients that may be in the food in obvious quantities. I do not ask about things like whey in bread or casein in the veggie burger. I research ahead of time when I can, but there in the restaurant ordering, I'm going to prioritize the big stuff. If it's "close enough" or "for all practical purposes" a vegan meal, I'm not going to stress the trace ingredients. I go out to eat far less than I eat at home, so the overall impact of being laxer in those times is less.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.