mosquitoes??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

#1 Old 05-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Happy Veggie

Question mosquitoes???

Hello friends,
So I was wondering do vegans kill mosquitoes? or any kind of bug that attacks you like wasps, fleas, etc. Because I've read mixed things around the internet on various websites it got me wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I will kill anything that is trying to cause me harm and it's not limited to insects. If I am attacked by a coyote or whatever I will do my very best to kill it.
#3 Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM

If an animal is attacking me, I will retaliate in self-defense. If it's minding its own business, I will do the same.
wildflowerliz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Disclaimer: I'm not vegan and I kill mosquitoes all the time.

But I'd like to be the devil's advocate. If they're only causing us itching for a day or two, is it fair to cause them death?

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read insects don't feel pain.
#5 Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah apparently they don't, but they used to think that fish couldn't either so yeah. Who knows? I prefer to just not cause potential pain.

As to them just causing you to itch for a few days it's not exactly true. They spread disease as well.
#6 Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think veganism is against killing insects that bite, like ticks, fleas and mosquitoes, so much as against exploiting insects for things like honey, shellac and dyes. With the Zika virus out there as well as other diseases, it's pretty much war on mosquitoes. But no vegan would willingly eat one.
#7 Old 05-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

I do agree with Joan, but also add that the importance of maintaining natural controls. No standing, stagnant, water. Keeping our environment friendly for bats and fish and birds that feed on mosquitoes and their larvae.

I haven't been bothered by mosquitoes in years-- I used to be. I'm not crediting it to being meat free as that's been discredited (afaik), but bites from other bloodsuckers, like fleas and bedbugs and horseflies, are agonizing
LedBoots, David3 and wildflowerliz like this.
#8 Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I try to avoid killing animals. I show the way outside for mosquitos. I catch them in a glass and point out the exit route.

I do the same with bugs in my house (wasps, spiders, silverfish, flies, etc.)
David3, wildflowerliz and Squidly like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#9 Old 05-20-2016, 01:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
I try to avoid killing animals. I show the way outside for mosquitos. I catch them in a glass and point out the exit route.

I do the same with bugs in my house (wasps, spiders, silverfish, flies, etc.)
A butterfly net works well for wasps and moths and stuff.
David3, wildflowerliz and Squidly like this.
#10 Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always found moths to be quite calm. I always catch them with my hands and when I release them outside a lot of them seem perfectly happy to just hang out on my hand and I have to nudge them off. Spiders I actually just ignore. I don't mind if they hang out with me in the house.
David3 likes this.
#11 Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I've always found moths to be quite calm. I always catch them with my hands and when I release them outside a lot of them seem perfectly happy to just hang out on my hand and I have to nudge them off. Spiders I actually just ignore. I don't mind if they hang out with me in the house.
Yes, spiders we leave in, and a couple lizards too. I freak at flying insects for no reason lol, so the net works for me.
David3 likes this.
#12 Old 05-20-2016, 11:42 AM

I used to have a little pink lizard in my appartment, I don't know how it entered. It was cute. I have months to see it. Maybe my cat ate it.
#13 Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 AM

Killing other living things in self-defense shouldn't have to be defended. Whether it's another human or fire ants who are attacking you, it's okay to protect yourself. It's ridiculous to say it's okay to let a bug bite you, because some people are extremely sensitive or even allergic to bug bites (including mosquitoes). And as already mentioned, some bugs carry diseases that are harmful or even deadly to humans and other mammals.

There are effective non-toxic solutions to biting insect control now, which helps a lot. (Control = repelling and/or killing if necessary.)
silva, LedBoots, leedsveg and 1 others like this.
#14 Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Vegan since 1991

We've tried some effective ways to prevent insect bites.

My wife and I used to use a mosquito net, when we lived in a place with more mosquitoes. The only thing is that they do trap heat a little - you might have to turn your fan or air conditioner to a higher setting.

They also have personal mosquito nets:

To protect your animal friends (and you) from fleas, they make flea-protection medication: https://www.petcarerx.com/article/or...s-and-cats/121 . Here is an article about how they work: https://www.petcarerx.com/article/ho...ments-work/141 . Some of these pills contain very low doses of neurotoxins that are considered relatively harmless to companion animals (but are sufficient to kill insects that ingest the animal's blood). Other pills contain insect hormone analogs that, when spread through the insect hive, hormonally prevent the larvae from maturing into adult insects. There are also acute-treatment pills that work very quickly - these require a veterinarian's prescription. Anyway, I'm personally glad they these technologies exist; our dog and entire family used to suffer from fleas every summer. I imagine that we killed more fleas through repeated fumigation than we would have killed with these newer, more effective technologies.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-22-2016 at 08:55 AM.
#15 Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM

I leave the daddy long legs, but anything  from the garden or that will try to bite  me needs to go. 
#16 Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipObregon View Post
Any type of insects are harmful for us. It's better to get rid of them as soon as possible. Pest control experts may help you out. They work methodically and dedicatedly to make your home pest free. The moment you get in touch with a reputed pest control service like Sacramento pest control in your area, you get the peace of mind that the problem would be dealt with most efficiently.
Many insects are beneficial. Bees pollinate plants, ants serve to decompose dead plant matter, butterflies also pollinate plants (and they are beautiful!), lady bugs and praying mantises help to control certain insects that are destructive to crops.

Here is more information about beneficial insects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneficial_insects
Ted Ward likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#17 Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I will kill anything that is trying to cause me harm and it's not limited to insects. If I am attacked by a coyote or whatever I will do my very best to kill it.
Same here. Likewise, if I get a bacterial infection, I don't hesitate to use an antibiotic, to kill the invaders. I think it's common sense.
silva and leedsveg like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#18 Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 PM

I kill mosquitoes and wasps because they intentionally cause harm to humans. I've been bitten by mosquitoes before, and the area of the bite always swells up slightly for several days because I can't stop scratching it. It's extremely itchy and uncomfortable. And my sister has been stung by wasps a few times. I also kill flies because they pose a risk to my guinea pigs. One of them had flystrike a couple of years ago; thankfully it was caught early enough to be treated successfully.

Any other insects (such as spiders, bees, moths, butterflies, ladybirds, and beetles) I will either leave alone or put into a cup and release outside. They aren't harming me, why should I do the same to them?
leedsveg likes this.

Last edited by Ember Ruby; 08-28-2016 at 07:52 PM.
#19 Old 08-29-2016, 05:33 AM
svg

don't kill insects. Most of them just scary me so much that i can't touch them. I like spiders though, but they aren't insects.
I don't kill mosquitoes, because its just an endless war. I let them drink some blood and they fly away full and don't bother me for the rest of night. I now it can be dangerous cause they spread infections, but i don't care too much if i die. I'm prone to suicidal thoughts.
#20 Old 08-29-2016, 02:18 PM

It's not vegan to purposely kill animals smaller than you because they sting. Let's face it, killing is much worse than stinging. Mosquitos are just trying to get food because they need to live.
#21 Old 08-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Love

Smile

I personally don't kill any bugs. I usually just get them into a cup and bring them outside.

It's all about love!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#22 Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM

Look into putting up a bat house! It may take a while to be occupied, but having bats around really reduces the number of mosquitoes about. Win win, cause bats are damn cute.

I think having a source of water nearby will improve your chances that the house will become occupied.
silva and LedBoots like this.
#23 Old 09-02-2016, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Ember Ruby;4011385]I kill mosquitoes and wasps because they intentionally cause harm to humans. I've been bitten by mosquitoes before, and the area of the bite always swells up slightly for several days because I can't stop scratching it. It's extremely itchy and uncomfortable.

Yes but stinging isn't as bad as killing, is it? If some kid pinched you you wouldn't kill them with a huge fly swatter. By killing insects, you are being MUCH worse than the insects.
#24 Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM

. And my sister has been stung by wasps a few times. I also kill flies because they pose a risk to my guinea pigs. One of them had flystrike a couple of years ago; thankfully it was caught early enough to be treated [/QUOTE]

My sister has been stung badly by them too. The reason why they sting is because when they were on the earth at first, the only contact with other animals they had was when they tried to eat their babies, so as they evolved, their instinct was to sting any creatures that could cause harm, the fight or flight reaction.

I am also a fellow guinea pig lover and have owned guinea pigs for almost 7 years. I now have 2 tame babies, Snowy and Lucky 😄😙. I do avoid hurting animals on purpose, but I would kill if there was no alternative.

Snowy is at great risk because he makes poo clumps which are attractive to the flies. I throw rotting or ripe apples over the fence along with poo clumps (with a tissue! ) too so that flies have no need to go near Snowy or my bug blood thirsty sister, and it's worked. You just need too remember that flies are animals too.
#25 Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthGodess View Post
If some kid pinched you you wouldn't kill them with a huge fly swatter.
I'm not really into kids so where can one buy a "huge fly swatter" of which you speak?

(I take it that the same swatter could also be used on "huge flies"?)

If Donald Trump, or any of his supporters, reads this posting: I'M NOT BEING SERIOUS. IT'S A JOKE!
#26 Old 09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
99% Vegan

I personallly will kill any insect or spider inside the home, but only for safety reasons. I was bit once and it developed into a bump that never went away. I also have an irrational fear of spiders jumping out at me if I look into a box or something. It is too dangerous for me to have a spider in the house. I might injure myself when I jump as I can not control my arms very well in that situation.

If I could tolerate it, I would eat lots of fresh garlic everyday because mosquitos hate garlic. I used to know someone who just was not bothered by flying insects because of all the garlic he ate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#27 Old 09-10-2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
I personallly will kill any insect or spider inside the home, but only for safety reasons. I was bit once and it developed into a bump that never went away. I also have an irrational fear of spiders jumping out at me if I look into a box or something. It is too dangerous for me to have a spider in the house. I might injure myself when I jump as I can not control my arms very well in that situation.

If I could tolerate it, I would eat lots of fresh garlic everyday because mosquitos hate garlic. I used to know someone who just was not bothered by flying insects because of all the garlic he ate.
Develeoped a bump. Seriously? If people could make itchy bumps from biting or pinching, you wouldn't kill them (in less you're a psychopathic maniac). The bug just needed to eat, and they don't make exceptions for humans if we get near enough.

It's a fact that being vegan is not just not eating wearing or using anything from animals. That's a life choice. It's about reducing animal suffering. So anyone who purposely kills bugs is technically not vegan.

The reason why I'm so touchy on this subject. I've seen spiders mate, flies playing like cats, wasps and bees caring so tenderly to their grubs and ants mourn. Yet people who claim to be vegan murder them.

Also, boys and even teachers at my school kill bees brutally and laugh in my face. It makes me so sick that you guys do the same to bugs.😢😔 If you 'vegan" and still want to kill bugs you're not vegan or even vegetarian.
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.
#28 Old 09-10-2016, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthGodess View Post
If you 'vegan" and still want to kill bugs you're not vegan or even vegetarian.
A "health-vegetarian" can kill a bug and remain a vegetarian, as vegetarianism only concerns itself with what a person eats.

I'd hesitate to say that a vegan should never kill a bug under any circumstances.

Lv
#29 Old 09-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I've never lived where I needed to concern myself about anything really all that dangerous. I have hornets (yellow jacket?) chew into the house, and brought in bedbugs. I got an exterminator for both.
I will say that I have learned to keep a cleaner house, and used deterrents. I really don't anything but spiders and an occasional centipede in this house. No problems.

Infestations are a whole other problem and I would hope everyone here understands the difference between catch and release the strays and having insects that will multiply to the extent of taking over, either wanting to feed on your family, or house. Bedbugs, the bad kind of cockroaches (I think they're different varieties), lice, fleas, termites, carpenter ants and anything that would nest in your home and cause damage. It's simply that deterrents don't work on infestations, and they can destroy so much you've built up and/or harm you, and it often ends up with far more kills if you don't get it in check right away
#30 Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
A "health-vegetarian" can kill a bug and remain a vegetarian, as vegetarianism only concerns itself with what a person eats.

I'd hesitate to say that a vegan should never kill a bug under any circumstances.

Lv
Well if you go vegan or vegetarian for the animals, an anivegan I think, it's unacceptable, OK? Actual fact😩😒

Tags
bugs , kill , mosquitoes , pests , wasps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page