How often to take 1000mcg methylcobalamin B12? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
Ellaj I will be curious to know how you feel about supplements after a while if you keep looking stuff up. So many foods in north america are full of supplements, we just never think about it because it's someone else adding them in. I actually take fewer supplements now than when I was omni.

Actually I recently replaced my iodine supplement(table salt) with kombu. It's great because I only need a tiny amount to get what I need. Such a tiny amount that I just add it to whatever I am making and never notice the difference. To get my RDI of iodine with salt I would have had to eat massive amounts of it. It's cheap too. I literally got about a three year supply of iodine "supplements" for $7 canadian.
OK, you got my attention with this sentence, odizzido... I actually take fewer supplements now than when I was omni.
You see, I don't like the idea of supplements in the least. Taking this B12 supplement is a first for me, of any kind. If I may ask, and please feel free to decline, what supplements do you take and also, are you Canadian?
ellaj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaj View Post
OK, you got my attention with this sentence, odizzido... I actually take fewer supplements now than when I was omni.
You see, I don't like the idea of supplements in the least. Taking this B12 supplement is a first for me, of any kind. If I may ask, and please feel free to decline, what supplements do you take and also, are you Canadian?
You say you get soymilk with B12- thats a supplement.. Anything you get that isn't just produce likely is supplemented. Packaged pasta has iron and b vitamins, non dairy milks have added calcium, d, some b's. Package cereal are mostly supplemented. Fortified is just any word for supplemented, they mean the same. Even Natures Path mesa sunrise addes tocopherols - vitamin E.

Meats are supplemented through animal feed. It's becoming more evident that meats and eggs often are B12 deficient dependent on the feed, and B12 is now often supplemented in the unnatural foods given these animals

If you're getting b12 is likely added to foods whatever you eat. Just take it.
D is another one to be tested for. Not everyone can formulate as much as they need from sun. I learned that the hard way, and even taking 2000 mg of D3 daily for over a year, down from 10000-5000 I took after finding how low I was, I'm still at the low end of okay at 30 last tested
silva is offline  
#33 Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
odizzido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 727
Yup exactly what silva said. Also yes I am canadian and living in calgary currently.

As to what I take....B12 mostly. I sometimes take DHA but nobody knows if we actually need to, I just do to feel safe. I also take D since I tested low for that a while back. That's all ATM, which is less than everything silva mentioned.

BTW I don't mind answering any questions you have as I am very open. Infact there isn't a single question I wouldn't answer about myself.
odizzido is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 05-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You say you get soymilk with B12- thats a supplement.. Anything you get that isn't just produce likely is supplemented. Packaged pasta has iron and b vitamins, non dairy milks have added calcium, d, some b's. Package cereal are mostly supplemented. Fortified is just any word for supplemented, they mean the same. Even Natures Path mesa sunrise addes tocopherols - vitamin E.

Meats are supplemented through animal feed. It's becoming more evident that meats and eggs often are B12 deficient dependent on the feed, and B12 is now often supplemented in the unnatural foods given these animals

If you're getting b12 is likely added to foods whatever you eat. Just take it.
D is another one to be tested for. Not everyone can formulate as much as they need from sun. I learned that the hard way, and even taking 2000 mg of D3 daily for over a year, down from 10000-5000 I took after finding how low I was, I'm still at the low end of okay at 30 last tested
Thank-you for your response, silva. Transitioning from vegetarian to vegan, while omitting gluten, has been quite the journey. I say this in a positive manner because it is a journey that it is very important to me, regardless of the bumps in the road.

I have a lot to learn and your post was SO informative, I am very fortunate to have found this site. Everyone has been more than willing to help this "newbie" and I appreciate each response.

I plan to keep on with the Vitamin B12 supplement. Just last week I had a meet and greet with a new doctor and he has ordered some routine blood work and various other tests, not sure if he is testing for Vitamin D deficiency or not, but I will ask him about this on my next visit.
ellaj is offline  
#35 Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
Yup exactly what silva said. Also yes I am canadian and living in calgary currently.

As to what I take....B12 mostly. I sometimes take DHA but nobody knows if we actually need to, I just do to feel safe. I also take D since I tested low for that a while back. That's all ATM, which is less than everything silva mentioned.

BTW I don't mind answering any questions you have as I am very open. Infact there isn't a single question I wouldn't answer about myself.
I am so relieved to hear that you didn't mind my asking you personal questions, odizzido. I am from Canada, also, Southern Ontario is home for me. I have been as far west as Victoria several times. The train trip is one that I recommend to everyone, we live in the most beautiful Country, of this I am convinced. The train stopped in Calgary but we stayed on board each trip. I have a very large bucket list of places I would like to visit.

I have to agree, from what I have read and from the advice I have received here, that taking a Vitamin B12 supplement is a wise choice.
ellaj is offline  
#36 Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10
I don't think you have to worry too much about that dose. I take a 1000mcg tablet of B12 daily with food and it works fine, though I suspect a part of the dose is not fully utilised by my body.
Gaby Lu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off