• 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By ChirpyBird
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 AM

Thumbs down Frustrated

I have some health problems (heart issues & I'm on a beta blocker, extreme knee pain and swelling with overuse, torn adductor tendon that won't heal) that is preventing me from working out in nearly any way. I was a pescatarian for over 7 years. Recently, due to these health issues, my husband said if I switched to a vegan diet I might lose some weight. I'm not obese but I have areas that I want to tone up and can't through exercise. Mainly my stomach and thighs is where the excess fat is that I can't get rid of. I am 5'11" and USED to weigh 166. When my heart issues started up along with my torn adductor tendon, I jumped up to 185 before my husband suggested the switch. It's now been about a month of a purely vegan diet and I feel like I'm still gaining! Of course, he slimmed down right away, which makes me even more bitter about this situation (but his job also has him running all over the place every day and I, of course, have a desk job that I can't work out at as it is in front of patients in a professional health clinic).

What do I do? What am I doing wrong? Are there exercises that help me in my problem areas that DON'T require too high of a heart rate (being on the beta blocker means if it gets too high during exercise I nearly pass out) or using my knees/legs too much due to the torn tendon? I searched but can't find anything that is working so far. Why haven't I lost any weight now that I don't put cheese on every meal?? I'm so frustrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

There are many way to eat vegan. Some ways can help you lose weight. Some ways can't. The McDougall way is one of the ways that helps a lot of people lose weight: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...ugall-program/
#3 Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Vegan since 1991

I second that. The McDougall vegan diet promotes weight loss because it eliminates almost all fats (per gram, fat has more than twice the calories of protein or carbohydrates).

Kaiser Permanente's Plant Based Diet (also vegan) is similar. It includes only a small amount of oily foods (nuts, seeds, avocados), and a large proportion of whole grains, legumes, and non-starchy vegetables: http://share.kaiserpermanente.org/wp...et-booklet.pdf
terra biped likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 03-17-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

A physical therapist can recommend enjoyable exercises/activities to improve your joints and tendons. Your physician can refer you to one.

Moderately-paced bicycling may be appropriate. To minimize risk of falls, a 3-wheeler is also a good choice. Consult first with a physical therapist.

ChirpyBird likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 03-17-2016 at 01:05 PM.
#5 Old 03-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChirpyBird View Post
I have some health problems (heart issues & I'm on a beta blocker, extreme knee pain and swelling with overuse, torn adductor tendon that won't heal) that is preventing me from working out in nearly any way. I was a pescatarian for over 7 years. Recently, due to these health issues, my husband said if I switched to a vegan diet I might lose some weight. I'm not obese but I have areas that I want to tone up and can't through exercise. Mainly my stomach and thighs is where the excess fat is that I can't get rid of. I am 5'11" and USED to weigh 166. When my heart issues started up along with my torn adductor tendon, I jumped up to 185 before my husband suggested the switch. It's now been about a month of a purely vegan diet and I feel like I'm still gaining! Of course, he slimmed down right away, which makes me even more bitter about this situation (but his job also has him running all over the place every day and I, of course, have a desk job that I can't work out at as it is in front of patients in a professional health clinic).

What do I do? What am I doing wrong? Are there exercises that help me in my problem areas that DON'T require too high of a heart rate (being on the beta blocker means if it gets too high during exercise I nearly pass out) or using my knees/legs too much due to the torn tendon? I searched but can't find anything that is working so far. Why haven't I lost any weight now that I don't put cheese on every meal?? I'm so frustrated!
Yoga? Maybe too hard on the lower extremities though.
#6 Old 03-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Ankle Biter

A month is hardly enough time to lose a significant amount of weight. Keep going! Drink lots of water, eat lots of vegetables and limit refined flours and sugars. And give yourself time - you have the rest of your life.
ChirpyBird likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra biped View Post
There are many way to eat vegan. Some ways can help you lose weight. Some ways can't. The McDougall way is one of the ways that helps a lot of people lose weight: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...ugall-program/

I love this picture from the McDougall website. I just ate dinner, and it still makes me hungry.

_________

#8 Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 AM

torn adductor tendon - you need to sort this out. Then get into light exercise to loose weight. Dieting will help but your body is trying to heal so 1 thing at a time.
#9 Old 03-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
A physical therapist can recommend enjoyable exercises/activities to improve your joints and tendons. Your physician can refer you to one.

Moderately-paced bicycling may be appropriate. To minimize risk of falls, a 3-wheeler is also a good choice. Consult first with a physical therapist.

I love that trike! And check out the cute doggy!
ChirpyBird likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 03-18-2016 at 01:50 AM.
#10 Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert99 View Post
torn adductor tendon - you need to sort this out. Then get into light exercise to loose weight. Dieting will help but your body is trying to heal so 1 thing at a time.
Yeah, I have an MRI scheduled this coming Tuesday. Hopefully they will be able to see what needs to be done! Keeping my fingers crossed I won't need surgery!
LedBoots and David3 like this.
#11 Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I second that. The McDougall vegan diet promotes weight loss because it eliminates almost all fats (per gram, fat has more than twice the calories of protein or carbohydrates).
Here's yet another vote for Dr. John McDougall's vegan diet. Remember: one gram of fat has 9 calories; one gram of carbohydrate has 4 calories. Therefore, every time you replace one gram of fat with one gram of carbohydrate you've cut your caloric intake by 55%!

I've recently been eating more of a McDougall-themed diet, especially at dinner, and as I slowly reduced the amount of fat in my diet the pounds started melting off my frame. In fact, I lost a little too much weight because I am fairly active (I exercise four times a week.) And I am eating enormous meals at dinner. Since you can't exercise right now, your weight loss will be slower, but the weight should come off due to the reduction in calories.

Several of my colleagues at work have been trying intermittent fasting diets with great success (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting or the documentary, Eat, Fast and Live Longer: http://tinyurl.com/guc2e3x ). One individual, who is very committed, lost over 40 pounds in one year following this type of diet. However, none of these individuals, on the days they are not fasting, eat a vegan diet. If you find it very difficult to lose weight, perhaps you could try combining a vegan diet on your eating days in combination with intermittent fasting.
#12 Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJustBob View Post

Several of my colleagues at work have been trying intermittent fasting diets with great success (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting or the documentary, Eat, Fast and Live Longer: http://tinyurl.com/guc2e3x ). One individual, who is very committed, lost over 40 pounds in one year following this type of diet. However, none of these individuals, on the days they are not fasting, eat a vegan diet. If you find it very difficult to lose weight, perhaps you could try combining a vegan diet on your eating days in combination with intermittent fasting.
Quoting the Wikipedia article:

"A 2014 review described that studies done in animal models have shown fasting improves indicators of health—blood pressure, insulin sensitivity, and inflammation—likely through adaptive cellular responses to better handle stress. These findings suggest intermittent fasting has the potential to improve health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, however this has not been reproduced in long term human studies. The review also concluded that intermittent fasting has not been studied in children, the elderly, or the underweight, and could be harmful in this population. They also suggest that those choosing to fast for periods of time greater than 24 hours should be monitored by a physician, as changes to the gastrointestinal system or circadian rhythm can occur. The review also concluded that fasting is unlikely to have much effect on conditions other than obesity, such as aging or other chronic condition, unless combined with moderate calorie restriction and plant based diet such as the Mediterranean diet"
terra biped and LedBoots like this.

_________

#13 Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM

Do you eat a lot of sugar? It's not just fats that can cause extra weight to stick around. Try to eat non-processed food, which could contain high levels of sugar, especially white processed flour/rice etc. I hope you reach your goals!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page