• 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By SteveW
  • 1 Post By tfvc.org
  • 1 Post By Placi

#1 Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 AM

A good nutrition app?

Hey guys!
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for how to track nutrients...
I have recently been diagnosed with iron deficient anaemia. Now this of course wasn't only caused by a lack of iron in my diet (other reasons i wont put here!!), but i definitely think that my iron consumption has gone down, since i no longer want to eat animal protein, which hasn't helped. I do try and eat as many beans and pulses, dark vegetables etc, but I'm still learning about how much is in these products per 100g etc.

So I've been looking for a way to calculate my nutrients. Not just to look at my iron but I'd also find it interesting to compare my vegan diet to a non-vegan and see the differences...I've looked at some of the calorie counting apps, but they don't go into enough detail for me.

Does anyone have any websites? or failing that, how do you guys keep track on your own?

(P.s) one of my offline friends said that she just takes a supplement and then knows that she's had enough. I personally don't agree with taking these multi-vitamin tablets, so thats not an option for me either I'm afraid)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Http://www.cronometer.com is a good one

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 02-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Give peas a chance

Sparkpeople.com

It tracks a few things by default, but you can change the settings and track much more... like nutrients and aminos. You can also set specific daily goals for each and it will track you over time, generate reports and issue warnings if you are too high or too low on something.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I was borderline when I ate meat, then surprised to find I was right in the middle after being vegan for a year! I cook almost everything in a cast iron skillet, watch that I keep teas and coffee away from iron rich foods, and pair iron foods with vitamin c foods- esp fortified cream of wheat (farina) with lemon water (or other citrus).

Farina or cream of wheat (rice too?) vary widely in amounts of fortified iron. I buy Farina with the little boy on the box and it has 50% RDA iron in one serving- 1/4 cup farina to 1 cup water.
Each brand is different as it is fortified. You can use it for many foods
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 02-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Beginner

Get the MyFitnessPal app it's brilliant.
tfvc.org and jennb like this.
#6 Old 02-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Semi-lurker

Second myfitnesspal. They also have a nice community there as well. The app and website lets you build and save recipes additoinally.
jennb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#7 Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 AM
Plant/Fungi based.

I prefer cronometer.com
#8 Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Cronometer also has an android/iphone app. Or at least an android app.
#9 Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 AM

I personally suggest you to get NutriGuide app because you can track all the foods that you have, and you have a profile so everything that you eat will be saved. It also allows me to scan the barcode of the food product to get the information about that product.
jennb likes this.
#10 Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 AM

I use My Fitness Pal. I constantly go over the calories they recommend for me to lose weight (1,400 is way too low) but I find they have the most specific item searches. I had a hard time finding specific items with Cronometer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page