• 6 Post By SteveW
  • 4 Post By VGal
  • 3 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By VGal
  • 5 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Fruitemma

#1 Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 PM

Vegan at the pub

I just started working and one of my coworkers is leaving and a set venue has already been booked. I had a look at their menu and the vegetarian options don't appear like they can be veganised - one is in honey mustard and the other is a risotto. So I was thinking of eating beforehand and then ordering a side of stir-fried veggies(I've heard that most places use vegetable oil to animal oil now because its cheaper). I've heard that beer and possibly wine is not vegan because of filtering through fish guts. Is it important to be vigilant to the extent of beer when eating out? Sorry if that doesn't seem like a logical question but from what I have heard there is no animal ingredients in the beer. I guess I'm asking if you as a vegan would drink beer/wine/cider at a pub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Beginner

This is a good question, I probably will find myself in that situation at some point...I've called a restaurant a couple of days in advance once to see if they had something for me to eat and they were happy to prepare for me. Maybe you could also get their beer/wine list beforehand and do a quick internet search on which brand to order? Hope you have fun with your friends!
#3 Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGal View Post
I just started working and one of my coworkers is leaving and a set venue has already been booked. I had a look at their menu and the vegetarian options don't appear like they can be veganised - one is in honey mustard and the other is a risotto. So I was thinking of eating beforehand and then ordering a side of stir-fried veggies(I've heard that most places use vegetable oil to animal oil now because its cheaper). I've heard that beer and possibly wine is not vegan because of filtering through fish guts. Is it important to be vigilant to the extent of beer when eating out? Sorry if that doesn't seem like a logical question but from what I have heard there is no animal ingredients in the beer. I guess I'm asking if you as a vegan would drink beer/wine/cider at a pub.
Are you in the UK? I have always heard that German beer and wine are safe from the fish thing.

Foodwise, maybe cheeseless side salad and chips? I would eat before I go in any case. Here in the US, I can usually find spaghetti marinara on pub menus.
no whey jose and Jenn2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2016, 07:03 PM

most spirits are supposed to be vegan.
LedBoots, no whey jose and Jenn2 like this.

#5 Old 01-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobbenstein View Post
most spirits are supposed to be vegan.
shotssss!
no whey jose likes this.
#6 Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

#7 Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Consider giving up alcohol and bring your own vegan dinners to work. It's not that difficult to pack rice and potatoes. Also, even if the oil is vegan it's still oil which is very fatty and unhealthy.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitemma View Post
Consider giving up alcohol and bring your own vegan dinners to work. It's not that difficult to pack rice and potatoes. Also, even if the oil is vegan it's still oil which is very fatty and unhealthy.
All oil is not unhealthy. Humans need fats as well as protein and carbohydrates.
#9 Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up The fat you eat is the fat you wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
All oil is not unhealthy. Humans need fats as well as protein and carbohydrates.
Yes, humans need fats but not fats from oils. Read this article by a vegan doctor: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/aug/oils.htm
You can get your fats from avocados, nuts, and seeds. Besides, the amount of fat that humans need is so low that unless you purposely try to avoid all fats then you will have no problem getting enough. I follow an 80/10/10 diet meaning 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein.
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I figured you were an 80/10/10 person. I've never actually seen any evidence that a little oil harms anyone. If you do have any then feel free to post it because if it is harmful I would like to know.
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 01-26-2016, 11:44 AM

Studies on the harmful effects of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I figured you were an 80/10/10 person. I've never actually seen any evidence that a little oil harms anyone. If you do have any then feel free to post it because if it is harmful I would like to know.
I mostly avoid oil just because I don't want the calorie-dense fat from oil. However, there are studies that have shown the negative health effects as well. This is just one of them :http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24632108 If you look up "harmful effects of consuming oil PubMed" you will find medical studies which relate to the issue.
#12 Old 01-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

The article you linked is for eating deep fried fast food pretty much, which I think everyone here would agree isn't the best thing for you heh.

Actually the first link I clicked when searching "harmful effects of consuming oil PubMed" was one saying that canola oil was a good choice.

Further down the list I found this as well
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746113/

Quote:
After 15 years of continuing research on canola oil since the latest review by Dupont et al.,2 evidence shows a number of potential health benefits of canola oil consumption (Figure 2). Canola oil can now be regarded as one of the healthiest edible vegetable oils in terms of its biological functions and its ability to aid in reducing disease-related risk factors and improving health. Current research is expected to provide more complete evidence to support the health-promoting effects of canola oil when consumed at levels consistent with dietary guidelines
I skipped over the fish oil and such links as they don't apply to anyone here, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest a little oil hurts anyone.

Now one thing I want to make clear is I am not saying canola oil is healthy. It's possible it's just less bad, but I've never seen anything to suggest that it is. I've been reading about this for about an hour now trying to support your claims but haven't found any evidence....I am going to take a break.
#13 Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM
an irregular

Quote:
Consider giving up alcohol .....

Woooahhh wooooahh wooooahhhh! no need for that kind of language!

we have a lot of off site work luncheons and meetings at local restaurants and bars, and unless its someplace I know I can get something vegan, I just try and plan ahead and have something beforehand. most of the places will usually have some sort of simple pasta dish and I usually just ask for it with broccoli mixed in or something to liven it up a bit.

***im glad that my 100th post on this site is in defense of drinking

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#14 Old 01-26-2016, 01:20 PM

Oh wow, that's interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't consider any oil to be healthy but I see that it is not necessarily harmful. Like I said, I just avoid oil as much as I can because it is very fatty and ,to me, unnecessary.
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

very fatty? It's nothing but fat :P
#16 Old 01-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Beginner

There's a few times where I've had to eat at a pub/restaurant and I've had to order like 3 side dishes because there's nothing on the main.

So I end up with chips, veggies and salad and still end up paying less that the others do for a main and there usually ends up being too much food haha.

The waiter always looks at me funny but I don't give a ****.
#17 Old 01-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
very fatty? It's nothing but fat
Sweet, sweet fat. 😍

Regarding alcohol, I don't always check to be sure the drinks I order in a pub are vegan. When I'm buying a bottle at a shop, I always give the brand a quick Google or plug it into Barnivore, but ordering drinks at pubs is intimidating for me. I'm new to the UK and not a particularly experienced drinker, so I don't know the names of anything. I usually say, "A glass of wine," and then drink whatever I'm given. I don't recommend it and certainly wouldn't argue in its defence. Actually, if anyone could tell me the names of a few common brands of wines served in English pubs which are definitely vegan, that would be awesome. I really like sparkling rose-colored wine, if that helps.
#18 Old 01-26-2016, 03:28 PM

I'm not in the UK or US , and I was thinking of salad but I thought that usually contains mayo or something. That barnivore app is just what I need thanks :relaxed:. Oh yeah I always bring my own meals to work. So far I have about 7 easy and delicious vegan meals I can cook. Last time I had fried rice with baked marinated and then fried tofu. My coworker thought it smelled great and my partner kept eating all the tofu and it only lasted two meals :relaxed:
#19 Old 01-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh sorry to be more on topic, I have a smart phone now so I'd probably ask what was available and do a little quick googling to see what was vegan.

edit-----
Isn't it great when the non-vegans are eating your food? I remember something very similar. I made a fried tofu thing and the person I was with had chicken. They liked my tofu much better. I hope that because of that they have replaced chicken with tofu, at least some of the time.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by odizzido; 01-26-2016 at 03:48 PM.
#20 Old 01-26-2016, 04:10 PM

No probs the health aspect is an important discussion too.
LedBoots likes this.
#21 Old 01-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Yes, humans need fats but not fats from oils. Read this article by a vegan doctor: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/aug/oils.htm
You can get your fats from avocados, nuts, and seeds. Besides, the amount of fat that humans need is so low that unless you purposely try to avoid all fats then you will have no problem getting enough. I follow an 80/10/10 diet meaning 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein.
Yes, I took a course on McDougall's disease-reversing diet plans. (I'm an RN.) He has had some great results with diabetics, people with heart disease, etc. And I am so happy when a vegan diet is recommended, especially by an MD!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/p...etary-therapy/

For people who don't want to lose weight, and don't have chronic disease, McDougall may not be the right program for them. I'm a long time vegan who is the main cook in our vegan kitchen. We're all pretty healthy, so are not particularly strict on oil. I even make (vegan) cupcakes sometimes.

The main thing for me is the fact that animals don't die for my meals. The health benefits are a happy bonus for me
#22 Old 01-26-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Quote:
Yes, I took a course on McDougall's disease-reversing diet plans. (I'm an RN.) He has had some great results with diabetics, people with heart disease, etc. And I am so happy when a vegan diet is recommended, especially by an MD!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/p...etary-therapy/

For people who don't want to lose weight, and don't have chronic disease, McDougall may not be the right program for them. I'm a long time vegan who is the main cook in our vegan kitchen. We're all pretty healthy, so are not particularly strict on oil. I even make (vegan) cupcakes sometimes.

The main thing for me is the fact that animals don't die for my meals. The health benefits are a happy bonus for me
Yeah, the wellbeing of the animals is definitely what is most important and the main reason why I'm vegan. Even if it were unhealthy to be vegan, which isn't the case at all, I would still choose to be vegan for the ethics.
McDougall is an amazing doctor though and I always enjoy reading his newsletters.
I've read the Starch Solution but I feel like it is geared towards older, overweight people which is why I follow raw till 4 instead.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page