5Likes
  • 2 Post By Gita
  • 1 Post By QuietVegan
  • 1 Post By samberzina
  • 1 Post By elli

#1 Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 AM

Traveling as a vegan problem.

Hello fellow vegans and vegetarians.

I transitioned to veganism in the beginning of last year. Before going vegan, I was sort of eating healthy, more than an average standard diet nowadays, but clearly not healthy enough as I wasn't feeling my best. At some point I developed hair loss. Once I went vegan, my hairloss seemed to decrease and few months in, even my parents mentioned that my hair seems thicker, which I was very happy about.

From September 2015 I have been traveling around South America with my partner and the countries I have been to are not particularly veggie friendly. I try my best, but, mostly, I have to eat potatoes and rice with some plain basic vegetables, if the restaurant even serves any (many smaller towns have no vegetables on the menu at all!). We rarely stay in places that have a kitchen where I could prepare my own food so I have to rely on what any food places might serve. Breakfasts are usually included in the hotel price and it is just bread and jam all the time. So this has been my diet up to now and still a month to go. My hairloss is back and it is terrible. I keep loosing hair handfuls and freaking out.

Does anyone have any advice on how to up my veggie intake somehow or what could be the most nutritious thing I could eat to manage being healthy until I get home and repair all this dietary damage?

Thanks

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

See if you can hook up with 7th day adventists, or other religious people who may know where to get vegetarian food.

Go to a Chinese or Hindi (Indian) restaraunt.

Do you have any access to internet? (Obviously since you are on an on-line forum)

Find Happycow.net there are 1519 vegetarian restraunts and/or health food stores in South America. (Usually in larger towns).

Ask the Consingere of the hotel. Give him or her a big tip for some good advice.

Hair falling out is often due to stress, drugs or illness, not a diet change.

Lastly, as a vegetarian, I eat rice, potatos, and beans. Even in the USA (where I live) when I travel, I would have a small rice cooker, some dry rice and some easy to cook raw veggies. In other words, I would be cooking in the hotel room. So why not go and shop for a rice cooker that works with their plug if you can't find any food.

That's all I can think of.
#3 Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Veggie Recycler

If you have hair loss put some black strap molasses in your food, it also supposedly even fights off gray. I also second Happy Cow app as a restaurant resource.

If you are in South America, it should not be hard to find beans or lentils, root vegetables, oil and maybe some greens or tomatoes to make your own affordable healthy vegan stew, paired with some kind of grain, like rice, tortillas, or quinoa if you can find that.

Fried plaintains should be easy to find in South America, which are vegan and healthy fat unless they were fried in lard or butter.

Nuts, coconut...I'm thinking you probably need more nutrient dense, fatty, protein kinds of foods. Get a crock pot that you plug into the wall directly, it can double as a rice cooker.

Last edited by Thalassa4; 01-11-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Vitamin B6 supplements help some people.

Are you eating enough food?
#5 Old 01-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Do they sell dried fruit anywhere?

If you haven't already seen it, this article might be useful x

http://www.vegansociety.com/whats-ne...99s-experience
#6 Old 01-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone for great suggestions.

Unfortunately, i cannot buy a rice cooker. We travel on the motorcycle and are already overloaded so have no space to carry any extra appliances.

None of the Chinese restaurants where I have been to have had anything vegetarian, not even tofu. So all I can have is some plain rice with some spring onion. It is sooo frustrating!!!

We are also traveling through small places a lot. In larger towns I can occasionally get some better food.

I have tried asking around for veggie places as well, but it is like a foreign concept to them. Sometimes when i order only side dishes in some restaurants (if anything appropriate available), they come out to double check if I havent forgotten my meat and when I say I havent they look at me like a freakshow.

Maybe my hair is falling out from stress of not getting any good food.

Only few days ago I managed to find oat milk in a very big supermarket. It was a first in months. Rarely there might be some soy milk.

It was slightly better when I was in Bolivia and Peru, but our last leg of trip is Chile and Argentina and it is ridiculous.

I am sorry if this sounds really stupid, but this is not a trip I organised so lots is out of my control (as not being able to carry any food around me and cook. I never realised it will be like this. I imagined there would be bean dishes everywhere and it will be a veggie paradise!). Lessons learned for future trip planning.

#7 Old 01-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
Do they sell dried fruit anywhere?

If you haven't already seen it, this article might be useful x

http://www.vegansociety.com/whats-ne...99s-experience
Oh, it says 'page not available'

#8 Old 01-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by samberzina View Post
Oh, it says 'page not available'

Ah, it was about Peru anyway x

Chile

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/...-adeline-bash/

http://www.christiankoeder.com/2012/...-to-chile.html
samberzina likes this.
#9 Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
Thanks for these. It was an interesting read. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, most of it works if you are in a big city. We have gone through whole of the Chile now and covered many areas. Yes, some places truly have vegan food and I have some moments of joy, but mostly it is terrible for vegans.

Probably this is why I enjoyed Santiago so much with the La Vega market. So many fruit and veggies and so CHEAP!!! 😍

QuietVegan likes this.
#10 Old 01-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Are you losing hair from all over your head, or in patches? If patches that can be from mechanical things - wearing a hairtie too tight, your helmet rubbing on your head - or from auto immune. It sounds more like general thinning though, in which case as a doctor I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss nutrition as some have suggested. Are you getting enough total calories? It sounds like you might be struggling, and this is one of the leading causes in women of losing hair from all over the head (it's part of your body dropping it's metabolic rate and cutting on non-essential calorie use, and is why people with eating disorders loss their hair). Otherwise, iron deficiency is probably the leading cause of nutrient deficiency related hair loss that I see, and you diet does sound pretty low in iron. Maybe you could pick up a supplement from a pharmacy if you go to a bigger town?

Hope you are enjoying the travel apart from the food issues!
samberzina likes this.
#11 Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elli View Post
Are you losing hair from all over your head, or in patches? If patches that can be from mechanical things - wearing a hairtie too tight, your helmet rubbing on your head - or from auto immune. It sounds more like general thinning though, in which case as a doctor I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss nutrition as some have suggested. Are you getting enough total calories? It sounds like you might be struggling, and this is one of the leading causes in women of losing hair from all over the head (it's part of your body dropping it's metabolic rate and cutting on non-essential calorie use, and is why people with eating disorders loss their hair). Otherwise, iron deficiency is probably the leading cause of nutrient deficiency related hair loss that I see, and you diet does sound pretty low in iron. Maybe you could pick up a supplement from a pharmacy if you go to a bigger town?

Hope you are enjoying the travel apart from the food issues!
Thank you so much for this. I have always been low on iron and at home took a good supplement and tried to up my leafy greens intake etc.
Possibly I am not getting enough calories. I like to eat a lot, but here out of sheer desperation I might have a salad for dinner or something and it is just not enough.
I will look into getting an iron supplement for now maybe and I hope I can work on all this damage once I get home back to normal.

And, yes, the hair is falling out all over, not anywhere specific.

#12 Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 PM
person

hair loss seems to be the subject of the day -

Just want to add that hypothyroidism can cause hair loss.

So can too much Vitamin A.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page