Will my allergies get in the way? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08

#1 Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Will my allergies get in the way?

Hello all, so i have been interested in transitioning to becoming a vegan for quite some time now, but the main issue i have with it are allergies. I'm allergic to Avocado, Coconut, and Tree Nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Hazelnuts etc...). I know that a lot of animal product substitutes contain these ingredients. How could i transition to becoming vegan, avoid these ingredients, and still be healthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

None of those foods are necessary to health. Plenty of vegan products that do not contain those ingredients. The only product I know that usually contains nuts are granola bars.
You can still eat all kinds of grains, potatoes, legumes, vegetables, seeds, tofu, seitan, etc.. Also, I don't know where you are, but I don't think Tofurky and Gardein products contain those ingredients.
Cook from scratch whenever possible. That way you can make sure you avoid those ingredients.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 01-05-2016 at 08:49 PM.
#3 Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM
No flesh since 99'

Hi! Rare to 'meet' another coconut allergy (it seems to be included in more and more products these days). Lots of vegans have various allergies and manage to work around them Making your own food helps as you can be 100% certain of what goes into it and avoid things you are allergic to. The good news is, the foundation of a healthy cooked vegan diet is fruits, veggies, beans and grains, not coconuts, avocados or nuts (those are just 'additional' good items).

Curious if you are allergic to seeds as well as nuts (chia, flax, sunflower, sesame, hemp ext...) as seeds can be a good source of nutrients and healthy fats and protein for those who can't eat nuts and avocados and can be substituted into many (though not all) vegan recipes calling for the use of nuts. You can also sprout seeds for an extra nutritional boost and make seed and sprout milks in lieu of nut milks.
skinnieminnie likes this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 01-05-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Marshall View Post
Hello all, so i have been interested in transitioning to becoming a vegan for quite some time now, but the main issue i have with it are allergies. I'm allergic to Avocado, Coconut, and Tree Nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Hazelnuts etc...). I know that a lot of animal product substitutes contain these ingredients. How could i transition to becoming vegan, avoid these ingredients, and still be healthy?
Hi Caleb,

No problem. As everyone else has said, you don't need to eat avocados, coconut, or tree nuts to be healthy. There are vegan "meats" that don't contain these ingredients - just check the label.

Also, as you're finding out, you don't need vegan fake meats to be healthy. Mainstream vegan organizations recommend a diet of beans, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, with small amounts of nuts or seeds. Since you are allergic to tree nuts, you might enjoy eating seeds instead.

Mercy For Animals has a beautiful, informative Vegetarian Starter Guide (it's actually vegan). Page 7 summarizes vegan nutrition, and pages 11-13 show very easy meal ideas: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page