feeling like crap, what am I doing wrong - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

#1 Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 PM

feeling like crap, what am I doing wrong

I switched the Dr. Esseltyne Diet after being a complete meat eater all my life. For the last month, I have had no added oil, sugar, meat, dairy. I would eat ezekial cereal and breads, lots of chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, green smoothies with lots of veggies, flax seeds, oatmeal with cinnamon for breakfast. I feel like complete sh*t. Its possible I wasn't getting enough calories in the beginning as I am now tracking calories. Along with this diet, I started to jog/walk 2 miles 5 days a week.
Recently, I have felt tired, lots of muscle twitching. Taking b vitamin supplements, and a vitamin. I want to eat healthy so bad but caved in and bought a chicken tonight because I'm tired of feeling tired. The funny thing is, is that before I started this healthy eating, I ate avocados, hummus and chicken with no other veggies and felt great. I think in the beginning, I didn't eat enough..this is what my diet looked like.
breakfast 1/2 cup dried oatmeal with cinnamon and soy milk
snack sweet potatoe
lunch brown rice and chickpeas, or quinoa and kidney beans 1 cup of each (so 2 cups total)
dinner, 1 cup kidney beans, 1 cup cucumbers, 1.5 cup brown rice
I did this and felt great for about a week, then the tiredness set in. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2015, 05:42 PM

feeling like crap, what am I doing wrong

I switched the Dr. Esseltyne Diet after being a complete meat eater all my life. For the last month, I have had no added oil, sugar, meat, dairy. I would eat ezekial cereal and breads, lots of chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, green smoothies with lots of veggies, flax seeds, oatmeal with cinnamon for breakfast. I feel like complete sh*t. Its possible I wasn't getting enough calories in the beginning as I am now tracking calories. Along with this diet, I started to jog/walk 2 miles 5 days a week.
Recently, I have felt tired, lots of muscle twitching. Taking b vitamin supplements, and a vitamin. I want to eat healthy so bad but caved in and bought a chicken tonight because I'm tired of feeling tired. The funny thing is, is that before I started this healthy eating, I ate avocados, hummus and chicken with no other veggies and felt great. I think in the beginning, I didn't eat enough..this is what my diet looked like.
snack sweet potatoe
lunch brown rice and chickpeas, or quinoa and kidney beans 1 cup of each (so 2 cups total)
I did this and felt great for about a week, then the tiredness set in. Can anyone help?
#3 Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM

I'd suggest a more gradual approach rather than all at once. If you push yourself too much, you may revert to unhealthy habits, as it seems like you've described. Also since you are doing no added sugar (a good thing) it could be low blood sugar since you don't seem to consuming much fruit. Try adding in fruit as snacks. From the Esselstyn FAQ, "It is fine to eat the whole fruit." http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/faq/
Naturebound likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

It's not enough calories and not enough veggies or fruit!
I'm also wondering how you prepare the beans and grains, as far as seasoning. A no added oil or sugar diet needs really prep to taste good

I do want to say I knew a man brought who brought himself back to life after a second emergency triple bypass op along with Last Rites. He's been an ardent follower for years not and his heart disease reversed.

Have you tried green smoothies? with fruits and fresh veggies? Do you do flax?
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#5 Old 10-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Hi, thanks for the input. Yes I started using a table spoon of flax seeds in my smoothie. I use almond milke, 5 baby carrots, a handful of mixed greens, 2 stalks of celery. I sometimes will put 1 cup frozen edamame for protein. I am scared of my recently diagnosed heart issues and have so much will power that I can eat clean, no problem. I'm bummed because I feel terrible despite spending sooo much money at the grocery store trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I usually bake the quinoa and beans, I use no addes seasoning except for braggs liquid amino and some lemon squeezed. I am female, weigh about 160. I will say that after doing this a month I dropped 6 pounds which I am very happy about. I used to stay away from ALL GRAINS. I'm pre diabetic so I have to watch out for too much fruit, but to my amazment, eating sprouted grains, like ezekial bread and cereals, brown rice and quinoa did not make me gain, it helped me lose. Today, I caved in and ate a few pieces of a chicken and feel alot better. I don't know what to do as I'm scared of this heart issue and want to stay strick to reverse it.
#6 Old 10-04-2015, 06:07 PM
the ever sleepy

What is your BMR? What is your daily calorie consumption average? What is your body fat percentage? At a quick glance it looks like you're consuming around 1000~1500 calories, and for 2 miles of run/jogging, that's a -500 cal deficit.

What is your nutrition charts looking like? Do you log your foods? Are you taking vitamin supplements?

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#7 Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

More calories, lots more veggies, and fruit

Root veggies, leafy greens, hummus without oil (which I always do cause I forget)
spices and herbs, soups.

Add a banana to your breakfast grains- you can add other grains for a total of two cups
Add some fruit to the yam, like applesauce, or add chunks while it's cooking
Make some soup with the beans, add some whole grain pasta, lots of veggies
Don't forget to supplement B12 and maybe algae DHA
#8 Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM

The first week I think I was eating not enough, I was having a hard time getting enough calories. I am taking a multi vitamin, also a liquid sublingual b vitamin. The interesting thing is I caved in and ate some chicken today and within about 20 min, the muscle twiching stopped and I started to feel good. Last week, I got short of breath and was dizzy. The calories the first week I admit was too low, about 800-1000. Then I started tracking and its been about 900-1200. You have to eat so much like this because how much does greens really have, calories wise, not much. Then with this plan you don't eat any oil, so right there its hard to get my calories in. Im pre diabetic so I can't eat too many fruits alothough, with this eating plan it may make me lose weight and that would be better and I would be willing to take a chance with the fruit. Why was I getting muscle twitching all over? Do you think that the sudden change was too drastic?

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling good, went for a 30 min lap swim and almost passed out.

Body fat percentage is 30%
#9 Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Impeach the gangster

MOD POST- I've merged these two threads together, so it will all be in one location. Please carry on.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#10 Old 10-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Beginner

the more colorful the diet is, probably the healthier it is. if you feel hungry, eat more. since you are active, you should be eating like 2k calories a day, maybe more than that. what you have described doesn't sound like it. just eat lots of different kinds of fruits, veggies, grains, beans, seeds, nuts and legumes. like don't eat the same thing every day, that's probably why you're tired. cause you're bored with your food lol. switch up the different proteins every day, & listen to your body. you should probably eat at least some fatty foods/oils, as that is good for you and is essential for your health. also, it makes the food taste better. don't sweat it too much, just eat to your heart's content. nom nom nom.
#11 Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boethian View Post
I'd suggest a more gradual approach rather than all at once. If you push yourself too much, you may revert to unhealthy habits, as it seems like you've described. Also since you are doing no added sugar (a good thing) it could be low blood sugar since you don't seem to consuming much fruit. Try adding in fruit as snacks. From the Esselstyn FAQ, "It is fine to eat the whole fruit." http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/faq/
I agree with this! Especially as far as the exercise goes. If you just started walking/jogging that much in the last month (presumably coming from no or little exercise at all?) you may be pushing it too far. Also, do you stretch and warm up before and after exercise? I've gotten leg cramps from pushing my body too hard, especially at night, and from not eating enough combined.

Other reasons for muscle cramps/twitches etc, as far as diet, could be not only lack of calories but with not eating enough portions of certain foods (due to restricting calories) you may not be getting enough magnesium or calcium. Many vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin D (needed for absorption of calcium), require a small percentage of dietary fat for maximum absorption. See this article for instance:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...b-vitamins.htm

My guess is that the chicken made you feel better not because of the protein boost (the plant foods you mentioned eating give all the same amino acids just different amounts of each) but because of the added fat in chicken (ie saturated). Dietary fat as well as plenty of carbs is what has given me stamina, that extra boost of strength and energy, and helped my muscles recover much faster as someone who is very active and exercises every day (and cycles to work). Protein doesn't do that. It helps build muscles and repair them, but it doesn't do much for energy. I just got back from a six day canoe camping trip carrying several forty lb packs over rugged terrain, paddling a canoe over many miles, hauling wood, filtering water, hiking/bushwhacking etc. And let me tell you the first thing I ate each morning was a good dollup of peanut butter, banana, and whole wheat tortilla along with my oatmeal and I needed every ounce of it and I went far and recovered enough to do it all again the next day and the next because of that. I have also gone through periods of eating a very low fat diet and while I dropped weight very quickly (I was slightly underweight to begin with) I felt awful and didn't have the strength and stamina for the exercise I was doing. I also injured myself running several times from repeatedly forcing myself to keep a running pace when I was tired and not eating enough, including enough fat. Even if you are trying to lose weight, I would recommend at least two servings per day of nuts/seeds/nut butter, avocado, olives, coconut etc. Doesn't have to be oil. More readily digestible carbs like fresh or dried fruit will also help as far as energy, especially with running, and especially right after a workout. I also remember being very tired after starting running. I never had that kind of fatigue with miles of cycling or hiking etc. But running always exhausted me for days after. I suspect because I pushed too fast too hard with it. Like you, I went from zero to five miles per day five days per week within four months and I started injuring myself constantly. In fact I had so many injuries...Achilles tendinitis, stress fractures, strains, and was going to the ER so many times I gave up running in frustration. I enjoy other physical activities so much more now and don't get those injuries all the time. You should never be that tired after an exercise. It should give you more energy and make you feel better.

To wrap it up lol...more whole fats per day, quick carbs after a workout, up the calories, slow down the exercise and stretch before and after if you don't already.
Thalassa4 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM

zengoddess,
I haven't been on here much lately, or on a meatless diet for very long and I have no idea if I can help you in any way. ... When I started (about four months ago) my change in eating (going meatless) I WAS HUNGRY A LOT! Before I started this diet, I had (over a period of time) quit using white table salt, white sugar, and white flour. I quit eating snack chips, crackers, candy (although I still eat one square of intense dark, 72% cacao chocolate), I still find this diet BLAND AND BORING, but, I have been sticking with it! ... I can only suggest to you what I try do do at times like these. Don't let people, places or things live in your mind rent free. Dwell on the bigger picture, your goal in this and less on the negative thoughts and feelings. My wife and I make light/fun of some of the recipes (you know, the "great tasting" ones) that we find disappointing. A persons taste in food is usually based on what part of the country they grew up in, IMHO! My wife and I will continue our "mad scientist" recipe searches until we find about a month's worth, and hope you do the same. ... I have no idea if this post will help you, but I felt compelled to reply because you're not alone in your feelings. Hang in there!

Oh, I just had my annual "wellness exam" (stress test, blood work, EKG, etc.) and everything came back as "well within normal" for this 69 year old fuddy-duddy!

Doug
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by oldtinsmith; 10-05-2015 at 05:46 AM.
#13 Old 10-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengoddess View Post
snack sweet potatoe
Try adding a diced apple and some walnuts to your oatmeal. I put chia seeds and flax in mine too for good omegas. Just oatmeal and cinnamon is like 150 calories only, maybe 250 with the soy milk, that is super low! Or eat peanut butter on your Ezekiel bread with the oatmeal, aim for 500 calories at least (average woman needs 2000 calories per day).

Nice choice for lunch but where are the veggies? Add green peas, avocado, cooked carrots whatever you like. I would add your sweet potato here and snack on fruits and nuts/seeds instead or a nice fruits smoothies if you prefer to eat them as a liquid.

Dinner, again no veggies, no delicious tomato and herbs sauce. You have the right foundation for carbs and protein but you need to build up the walls and roof now!

Also, vegan food is not bland when you cook it right, takes a bit of practice or just follow a 4-5 stars rated recipe. By ourselves we often have no clue how to cook amazing meals, lots of reading and watching Youtube vegan cooking channels fixes that in no time I swear! True story for me anyway.
LedBoots likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#14 Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
snack sweet potatoe
You need to eat way more food. You are weak because you are not getting enough calories. Vegans need to eat a lot more food than they may have been used to as omnivores, as most vegan food is very low calorie and high bulk. Eat!

Edited to add: And not chicken! You can stay on Essylt diet, just eat more!
David3 likes this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 10-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.
#15 Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I am McDougaling, not Esselsteining, because McDougal low fat vegan diet is more starchy, like based on potatoes beans, and rice with veggies where Esselstein is based more on veggies. To me there is a difference. I think you should try adding more beans and potatoes into your diet simply for the bulk and fullness.

Mustard, hot sauce and vegan soy sauce make excellent spices. Really get some antioxidants using spices like cayenne, turmeric, garlic. Use the dry stuff so you know there is no sugar in them.
LedBoots likes this.
#16 Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
The first week I think I was eating not enough, I was having a hard time getting enough calories. I am taking a multi vitamin, also a liquid sublingual b vitamin. The interesting thing is I caved in and ate some chicken today and within about 20 min, the muscle twiching stopped and I started to feel good. Last week, I got short of breath and was dizzy. The calories the first week I admit was too low, about 800-1000. Then I started tracking and its been about 900-1200.

On Dr. Esselstyn's diet FAQ webpage, he directly addresses this question about feeling tired. Have you read this? Here it is:

"Tired, no energy – Why am I tired and have no energy since eating plant-based?

If you feel tired and lacking in energy, be sure you are eating enough calories. You have eliminated the high calorie foods: meat, dairy and oil so you simply need to eat more, especially beans, lentils, starchy vegetables and whole grains to make up the calories. Also exercise because you need to use energy to make energy. Depression also contributes to lack of energy. But first of all eat more."

Link: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/faq/

Zengoddess, 900-1200 calories per day is the intake recommended for a sedentary 3-year-old !!!! https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...calreqtips.pdf . Yes, you are trying to lose weight, but you are also athletically active! You need more calories than what you're currently getting.

The "CalorieKing" website has a calculator that recommends a calorie intake for safe weight loss: http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...hould-you-eat/ . I think you'll find that, for an active person of your age, height, weight, and activity level, you should be eating more like 1300 to 1500 calories per day, or even more.

Here is another website, from Harvard Medical School, that shows how many calories are burned by various exercises: http://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-a...ine-activities . Even 30 minutes of brisk walking burns almost 200 calories. Again, I think this demonstrates that you need to eat more calories, even though you are working on weight loss.

As Dr. Esselstyn says, in order to easily get more calories, just eat more beans/grains, and fewer green vegetables. You don't have to stuff yourself with green vegetables! 2-1/2 cups of cooked green vegetables per day is enough.
LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-05-2015 at 10:02 AM.
#17 Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 AM

You need more healthy fats by the sounds of it. An easy way to do it is to snack on nuts and seeds- high in fat and protein. Fat is sooo important to maintain a healthy lifestyle particularly on a vegan diet which is generally low fat. Some people advocate eating lots of fruit but I personally don't recommend this as fruit contains a lot of sugar in the form of frutose and too much can lead to all sorts of issues. I think 1-2 pieces a day is enough. Try to fill up on calories from nuts, seeds and add coconut and advocados to your diet where possible. Use lots of olive oil too.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#18 Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiestez View Post
Try to fill up on calories from nuts, seeds and add coconut and advocados to your diet where possible. Use lots of olive oil too.

Veggiestez, this person is trying to safely lose weight. Telling her to fill up on nuts (700-1000 calories per cup) and olive oil (120 calories per TABLESPOON), isn't going to help. All mainstream vegan organizations recommend that people base their diets on legumes and grains, not high-fat foods. Legumes and whole grains contain a healthy level of calories (200 to 250 calories per cup). Nuts and seeds contain high levels of calories - they should be used in small amounts.

Also, telling this person to add coconut to her diet (119% RDI of saturated fat in a single cup:http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3106/2) is not going to help her with her heart disease. The American Heart Association, at least at this point, still recommends that people minimize saturated fat intake: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...10_Article.jsp

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."

Last edited by David3; 10-05-2015 at 10:34 AM.
#19 Old 10-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post
like don't eat the same thing every day, that's probably why you're tired. cause you're bored with your food lol. .

Lymo,

Provide evidence to back up this statement. Also, don't "lol" when someone is trying to solve a serious problem.

_________

#20 Old 10-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Too many people are advocating adding fats which is exactly what the OP is actively avoiding!

I have seen the most dramatic transformation of a man who not only regained the ability to live, but completely changed his physique, his mental attitude, his spirit, and ---has the proof of reversing heart disease so bad that he'd had several stents, two triple bypass ops and lived on drugs for years. And type2 diabetes with it which is completely gone. Both the heart disease and diabetes were genetic on both sides of his family.
It took him a long time to get with the program, but it was serious enough to where he preserved. Yes, it's extreme. So is heart disease.

She doesn't need advice to change her diet, she needs advice to make it managable.
@zengoddess , are you anywhere near meetups that follow Esselstyns program?
David3 likes this.
#21 Old 10-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Yes, consider adding a banana to your diet. Muscle twitching and low energy can be due to a lack of potassium. It may be that you're doing nothing wrong in your diet whatsoever, and are really just lacking potassium. Missing potassium can make people feel exhausted. So can dehydration...how much fluids are you getting?

Be careful though, as potassium isn't something to fool around with. Too high of potassium levels also cause muscle twitching and other health problems. Either extreme is no good.

Other foods high in potassium are potatoes with skin, peaches, sunflower seeds and spinach.

Incidently, chicken also contains high levels of potassium. So if a lack in potassium was the problem, that might explain why you felt better after you ate it.

Hope this helps.
Thalassa4 likes this.

Last edited by Tea Rose; 10-05-2015 at 03:07 PM.
#22 Old 10-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Rose View Post
Yes, consider adding a banana to your diet. Muscle twitching and low energy can be due to a lack of potassium. It may be that you're doing nothing wrong in your diet whatsoever, and are really just lacking potassium. Missing potassium can make people feel exhausted. So can dehydration...how much fluids are you getting?

Be careful though, as potassium isn't something to fool around with. Too high of potassium levels also cause muscle twitching and other health problems. Either extreme is no good.

Other foods high in potassium are potatoes with skin, peaches, sunflower seeds and spinach.

Incidently, chicken also contains high levels of potassium. So if a lack in potassium was the problem, that might explain why you felt better after you ate it.

Hope this helps.
A cup of diced cooked chicken has 320 mg potassium. a cup of boiled black beans has 800 mg. Beans and lentils have far more than any meat, banana, or potato.

I suspect the chicken felt good more from a familiarity aspect and calories than anything else.
#23 Old 10-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Too many people are advocating adding fats which is exactly what the OP is actively avoiding!

I have seen the most dramatic transformation of a man who not only regained the ability to live, but completely changed his physique, his mental attitude, his spirit, and ---has the proof of reversing heart disease so bad that he'd had several stents, two triple bypass ops and lived on drugs for years. And type2 diabetes with it which is completely gone. Both the heart disease and diabetes were genetic on both sides of his family.
It took him a long time to get with the program, but it was serious enough to where he preserved. Yes, it's extreme. So is heart disease.

She doesn't need advice to change her diet, she needs advice to make it managable.
@zengoddess , are you anywhere near meetups that follow Esselstyns program?

Finally, a voice of reason.

_________

#24 Old 10-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Vegan since 1991

Before answering, will everyone please:

(1) Read the original question carefully

(2) Gather facts from reputable sources (that is, from mainstream health organizations, mainstream vegan organizations and peer-reviewed studies), and

(3) Present those facts along with URL's to those sources?

So much of the time, I see people presenting opinions, and half-remembered blog entries, as if they were facts.

People come to this forum for serious nutrition advice. This is clearly a mistake, judging by the amount of unsubstantiated garbage that gets posted here.

The original poster stated that her health is currently threatened by heart disease and pre-diabetes. I have contacted her directly, and recommended that (1) she not rely on this forum for reliable nutrition information, and that (2) she instead work with a vegan-friendly Registered Dietitian in order to address her health issues.
silva likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 10-05-2015 at 03:42 PM.
#25 Old 10-05-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
A cup of diced cooked chicken has 320 mg potassium. a cup of boiled black beans has 800 mg. Beans and lentils have far more than any meat, banana, or potato.

I suspect the chicken felt good more from a familiarity aspect and calories than anything else.
I wasn't suggesting that chicken has more potassium than other foods (or advocating eating it), just pointing out that it does contain potassium and we really don't know what her levels were the week she ate it. So if her levels were already low, that might be an explanation.

zengoddess, I guess the question I have for you is, did the muscle twitching improve or disappear when you ate the chicken? That might be something to look at, as muscle twitching can be directly related to hypo or hyperkalemia.

I also agree with David3 that it would be a good idea to consult a dietitcian or physician for this issue.

Last edited by Tea Rose; 10-05-2015 at 03:39 PM.
#26 Old 10-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Rose View Post
I wasn't suggesting that chicken has more potassium than other foods (or advocating eating it), just pointing out that it does contain potassium and we really don't know what her levels were the week she ate it. So if her levels were already low, that might be an explanation.

zengoddess, I guess the question I have for you is, did the muscle twitching improve or disappear when you ate the chicken? That might be something to look at, as muscle twitching can be directly related to hypo or hyperkalemia.

I also agree with David3 that it would be a good idea to consult a dietitcian or physician for this issue.
You suggested the chicken might have helped due to its having potassium--she's already eating higher potassium sources.
Anyway, being under a doctors care for heart disease I'm sure that's being monitored!
#27 Old 10-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
You suggested the chicken might have helped due to its having potassium--she's already eating higher potassium sources.
Anyway, being under a doctors care for heart disease I'm sure that's being monitored!
We really don't know what she was eating at the time, or how often she was eating it. Unfortunately, you can become seriously ill within 3 days requiring hospitalization due to potassium being out of whack--something many doctors won't know is happening if they don't see you everyday and aren't there to monitor that you are doing what they advise you to be doing. It can happen just like that, so that's why I was posting, out of concern for the OP as it can quickly become a serious issue. But, I've said what I wanted to share, so I will drop it now. And let's hope that yes, she is getting and receiving good care.
#28 Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM

Hello and thanks to everyone who is posting to give me insight. I did start to track on cronometer...and it sure is a lifesaver. I am learning soooo much. I can exactly the minerals that I am taking in which is a huge eye opener. Eating this way is hard in the beginning I think, but will pay off. I am trying to avoid all added fats, according to the Esselytyne diet, however I have to do what feels right for my body.

I am wondering, when you use the crononmeter, are you supposed to have all your nutrients at 100% every day or is this a gauge because currently today, most everything is all the way green except for Vitamin E, potassium is at 72%, and Pantheatic acid (sorry wrong spelling) is lower, vitamin d is completely not green at all, but I do go into the sun every day for an hour to walk.

Funny thing is I just went to whole foods and bought a vegan cookie, it was deeelish, and I felt so much better after eating it. It was a fairly hefty cookie, so that leaves me to believe my body is craving some fats and calories. I was not feeling good I see why now in the beginning after tracking my calories I was only eating 900!!!! (in the first few weeks).

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
LedBoots and Tea Rose like this.
#29 Old 10-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Lymo,

Provide evidence to back up this statement. Also, don't "lol" when someone is trying to solve a serious problem.
Sorry. I'm not a doctor. Maybe I shouldn't comment on threads like these? I just interpreted the term "healthy, balanced diet" to mean that you should eat a variety of different foods in your life, which would mean "not the same thing every day, but a balance of different foods." Also, I was mostly saying she should eat lots of different varieties because it's boring not to.
#30 Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 AM

Hopefully it goes without saying that anyone with serious health concerns/issues would contact a professional foremost rather than rely fully on a post on an internet forum.

I appreciate the OP is trying to lose weight but i still believe healthy fats are healthy and necessary particularly in a vegan diet. From personal experience without adding fats I feel weak and hungry, even with lots of carbs. The OP is leading an active lifestyle.

But as a disclaimer, nothing I've said should ever replace professional dietary advice. My mistake in believing that went without saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page