feeling like crap, what am I doing wrong - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

#31 Old 10-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Beginner

You haven't mentioned fruit?

The body and brain loves the sugar so make sure you're getting more than enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

This needs to end. The OP was asking for advice in following THE ESSELSTYN DIET. Not just plant based, not weight loss, but a very specific diet from a leading cardiologist that has had proven results.

It is not helpful to say adding healthy fat, or even sweet fruits when the opening post was very adament that wasn't allowed.

I encourage anyone with heart disease to look into this. I have witnessed it's ability to bring a co worker not just back to life, but changed his life. Like Homer Simpson changing to Superman
#33 Old 10-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
This needs to end. The OP was asking for advice in following THE ESSELSTYN DIET. Not just plant based, not weight loss, but a very specific diet from a leading cardiologist that has had proven results.

It is not helpful to say adding healthy fat, or even sweet fruits when the opening post was very adament that wasn't allowed.

I encourage anyone with heart disease to look into this. I have witnessed it's ability to bring a co worker not just back to life, but changed his life. Like Homer Simpson changing to Superman
She wasn't eating enough food, so resorted to eating birds. I was just advising her to eat more food, not unhealthy stuff. Essel-(can't spell his name) would want the OP to eat enough food so she doesn't resort to binging on junk.

I don't think every post with common sense advice needs citations or links.

Eating 900 calories/day and feeling weak? Don't need a study to figure that one out, how many zillions of posts have we addressed with a similar problem?
Thalassa4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Rose View Post
We really don't know what she was eating at the time, or how often she was eating it. Unfortunately, you can become seriously ill within 3 days requiring hospitalization due to potassium being out of whack--something many doctors won't know is happening if they don't see you everyday and aren't there to monitor that you are doing what they advise you to be doing. It can happen just like that, so that's why I was posting, out of concern for the OP as it can quickly become a serious issue. But, I've said what I wanted to share, so I will drop it now. And let's hope that yes, she is getting and receiving good care.
Low (or high) potassium is uncommon. It will not normally become unbalanced low or high unless 1. One is on diuretic medication or 2. Bulimia and/or laxative abuse or 3. Have had a bad bout with diarrhea or 4. Have had IV fluids in hospital.

Last edited by LedBoots; 10-06-2015 at 06:55 PM.
#35 Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 PM

I don't think that you can get engouh protein with a vegan diet of only around 1000 kcal without adding vegan protein powder (or a alot more calories which is not the solution if you have health problems and should loose weight).
#36 Old 10-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
She wasn't eating enough food, so resorted to eating birds. I was just advising her to eat more food, not unhealthy stuff. Essel-(can't spell his name) would want the OP to eat enough food so she doesn't resort to binging on junk.

I don't think every post with common sense advice needs citations or links.

Eating 900 calories/day and feeling weak? Don't need a study to figure that one out, how many zillions of posts have we addressed with a similar problem?
I certainly wasn't referring to your post!
Yes, but the OP was asking advice in tweaking a very extreme diet program and many here have given advice that completely goes against it. Saying she should add healthy fats, or even sweet fruits is not in the diet.
She does need help from the Esselstyn community, and if shes in a city there very well may be groups, if not, there are online communities.

Offering health advice that goes against what is asked is not helpful.

It is possible to eat upwards of 2000 cal on this diet.
Feeling good does not happen that quickly either> We're talking heart disease
LedBoots likes this.
#37 Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Veggie Recycler

Your calories are too low (800-900 is not acceptable, 1000 isn't even if you run that much now) and fat-free is bs. You need healthy fat for your brain and nervous system. Try eating avacado, nuts, olives. ..if you won't actually put oil on your food you need it from the source. Also flax seeds.

P.S. You won't lose weight if you don't eat enough calories and work out like that, your body will hold onto fat stores for dear life. ..you really need to add things like nuts and seeds to your meals or snacks.
#38 Old 11-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Veggiestez, this person is trying to safely lose weight. Telling her to fill up on nuts (700-1000 calories per cup) and olive oil (120 calories per TABLESPOON), isn't going to help. All mainstream vegan organizations recommend that people base their diets on legumes and grains, not high-fat foods. Legumes and whole grains contain a healthy level of calories (200 to 250 calories per cup). Nuts and seeds contain high levels of calories - they should be used in small amounts.

Also, telling this person to add coconut to her diet (119% RDI of saturated fat in a single cup:http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3106/2) is not going to help her with her heart disease. The American Heart Association, at least at this point, still recommends that people minimize saturated fat intake: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...10_Article.jsp

Nuts are exactly what she needs to get up to about 1500-2000 calories. Weight loss doesn't work like that, especially if you do things like run. ..no. Athletes know this, that going too low with calories actually messes up your metabolism.

800-1000 calories a day is unacceptable, especially when someone does strenuous exercise.

About 1800 a day would be good, and nuts would give her that without added oil, or coconut.

The reason she stopped twitching after the chicken was likely calories and fat.

Fat is essential for the nervous system.
#39 Old 11-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Nuts are exactly what she needs to get up to about 1500-2000 calories. Weight loss doesn't work like that, especially if you do things like run. ..no. Athletes know this, that going too low with calories actually messes up your metabolism.

800-1000 calories a day is unacceptable, especially when someone does strenuous exercise.

I agree! Is it possible that you're confusing someone else's post with mine? I never recommended that this person eat 800-1000 calories per day.

The human brain contains very little fat. According to the University of Washington, the human brain is 78% water, and only 10%-12% lipids (fats): https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html . And, because an adult brain only weighs about 3 lbs. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain), the total fat content of the brain is only (3lbs.) x (0.12) = 0.36 lb., or 6 ounces.

Certain fats (omega 3 and omega 6 fats) must be consumed directly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid . Other fats can be synthesized by the body - a process called lipogenesis: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lipogenesis
Thalassa4 likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-29-2015 at 04:10 PM.
#40 Old 11-30-2015, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Um, this thread was started by someone trying to follow the ESSELSTYN PLAN for heart disease....and advocating nuts, or anything with fats is NOT helpful.

We have loads of other threads to discuss adding those kinds of foods.
We should maybe a thread for that diet as we've had people with heart issues come here for advice on plant based eating specifically geared towards that diet, then leave when it gets all sidetracked--like this thread
#41 Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Beginner

Agreed. But according to Dr. Esselstyn's site, OP COULD add a couple of tablespoons of flax or chia seeds daily and whole fruits, which would help get the calories up.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#42 Old 11-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Um, this thread was started by someone trying to follow the ESSELSTYN PLAN for heart disease....and advocating nuts, or anything with fats is NOT helpful.

We have loads of other threads to discuss adding those kinds of foods.
We should maybe a thread for that diet as we've had people with heart issues come here for advice on plant based eating specifically geared towards that diet, then leave when it gets all sidetracked--like this thread
Sorry but I am inclined to follow advice of dietitians and nutritionists, not the advice of one strict diet. There are lots of strict diets that claim health but exclude one thing saying it's the cause of all overweight or high cholesterol. ..like the Atkins and Paleo people blame carbs, when the culprit is likely a combination of animal fat and sugar, rather than wholesome grains or starches...and while I understand that the OP has heart disease, putting this kind of stress on her body isn't good for her heart, either. ..I never advocated she add oils...but nuts, simply because of the fat/calorie deficit.

Here is one vegan dieticians perspective of this diet:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/03/fa...ld-you-go.html
#43 Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

She wasn't asking for opinions on her diet. I've witnessed a mans complete transformation after following Esselstyns diet, completely. He went from a second triple bypass, at which time was given last rites and his wife told to get his affairs in order, to a man running marathons, toned and muscular, and HAPPY> but that's only a small part of his story. His test results prove reversal of what had been termed a condition that could only be managed, not reversed.
Dr. Esselstyn is hardly a quack. He's head the Cleveland Clinics cardiology dept for years.Clevelands No fat, no oil groups are easily as active as their vegan counterparts.
And no, nuts are not included
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page