Homemade/Artisan Vegan Cheese...Worth it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 AM

Homemade/Artisan Vegan Cheese...Worth it?

Hey all! I'm transitioning to veganism (slowly but surely). I'm already a vegetarian. I'd like to know if anyone has tried any (expensive) artisan vegan cheese or made your own. I'd like it to be as close to the real thing as possible and hard to tell the difference. Daiya is OK imo. I don't use it with many dishes. I don't eat much cheese, but I'd like to know about good vegan cheese to have around in case. I would like a cheddar cheese and a mozzarella. I'd be willing to to buy all the ingredients and make it or order it if it's expensive. I'd like something that's melty, stretchy, and doesn't turn to liquid. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKari View Post
Hey all! I'm transitioning to veganism (slowly but surely). I'm already a vegetarian. I'd like to know if anyone has tried any (expensive) artisan vegan cheese or made your own. I'd like it to be as close to the real thing as possible and hard to tell the difference. Daiya is OK imo. I don't use it with many dishes. I don't eat much cheese, but I'd like to know about good vegan cheese to have around in case. I would like a cheddar cheese and a mozzarella. I'd be willing to to buy all the ingredients and make it or order it if it's expensive. I'd like something that's melty, stretchy, and doesn't turn to liquid. Thanks!!!
I have only tried making a cashew based nut cheese using agar flakes, cashews, nutritional yeast and a few other ingredients. I used the recipe from "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions" book (pepperjack or something like that) and it was really not hard at all and the only time consuming part was waiting for the "cheese" to set. It was a block type of "cheese" that could be easily sliced. Below is a photo of it. It was very good in it's own way but tasted nothing like dairy cheese. I suspect most homemade artisan vegan cheeses are not going to imitate dairy cheese, but they are well worth trying imo! The stuff I made would be great in a sandwich or as a snack with crackers or fruit, but it isn't the type of stuff that melts and becomes goey and so on. It is fairly healthy. The only commercial vegan cheese I have tried is Daiya and while I like it on rare occasion, it seems to get very mixed reviews. I was going to try PunkRawklabs vegan Artisan cheese but it was something like $12.95 for two servings so that didn't happen lol. I have had such a great experience over the years experimenting with so many awesome creative vegan recipes and plant dishes that I don't really even miss cheese at all (plus it made me so sick all the time it put the fear of death into me lol).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Vegan Cashew Cheese.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	11929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Vegan Cashew Cheese 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	11937  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 09-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Riot Nrrrd

The book Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner is kind of the gold standard. Miyoko's recipes and techniques are time consuming, but the results are near universally applauded.

I'd post a link to her web page, but it's currently blacklisted by Google. Apparently it's been hijacked by someone using it to spread malicious code.

Here's an article from VegNews about the book.
Purp and warriormama like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Vegan since 1991

I have only tried one vegan cheese that was as good as dairy cheese. It's called "Wilmersburger". It's made in Germany, and doesn't appear to be available yet in the United States.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Cheese is the one thing it is hard to replicate. :/
#6 Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't tried Miyokos cheeses, but they don't seem that complex once you get started
The "Look inside" feature on amazon will give you the starter rejuvelac, as well as a couple basic cheese recipes--
http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Vegan-...chinner+cheese

i wish someone would make it for me...

I like Daiya for grilled cheese. Homemade garlicy cashew cheeze is great- not like cheese, but so what...
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

What IS worth it is homemade tofu! I have a soy milk maker and still rarely do it, takes a lot of milk, but it's soooooo good!
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 09-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Hi, VeggieKari-

I think mozzarella and cheddar were my two favorite cheeses also, but parmesan/romano and swiss were right up there! You mentioned you want something with the right texture- melty, stretchy, and doesn't turn to liquid. I think nutritional yeast (the yellow flaky kind, not the grayish/brownish fine powder) has a convincingly cheddary taste, but it doesn't have the texture you're looking for; when I use it, I just mix it into something like a rice pilaf when I want to give it a cheddary taste. If we could find something with the right texture to mix it with, we might be onto something.

I remember a type of "mozzarella" which had a nice texture and flavor (at least I think it had a good texture- I used it in sandwiches and didn't try to make a pizza with it, so I don't know if it would have passed the melty test), but it included casein as an ingredient, so therefore wasn't vegan. I haven't bought it since then, and it was more than 10 years ago.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm ready for more nutrititional yeast-- I'm not the biggest fan, but I have found I liked the powdered better, but maybe it was just because I'm growing fonder?
I've always bought Red Star veg support from a NFS that sold it packaged and refrigerated. Now I'm not by there anymore and wonder if there's a difference in brands?

A discount store near me sells the whole Bobs Red Mill line at good prices. Their yeast also has B12
ANyone use Bobs red mill?
#10 Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'm ready for more nutrititional yeast-- I'm not the biggest fan, but I have found I liked the powdered better, but maybe it was just because I'm growing fonder?
I've always bought Red Star veg support from a NFS that sold it packaged and refrigerated. Now I'm not by there anymore and wonder if there's a difference in brands?

A discount store near me sells the whole Bobs Red Mill line at good prices. Their yeast also has B12
ANyone use Bobs red mill?
Yes, I use Bob's Red Mill nooch, it is good.
#11 Old 09-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks! I'll try it!
I have found I love vegan mayo with lots of nooch over it- tastes just like a cheese sauce.
Braggs aminos with nooch is a good taste combo
I don't like to just sprinkle it on anything--other than popcorn
Oh, and whirred in with silken tofu with lemon juice and salt and some sugar
#12 Old 09-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

For the stretchy cheese, you need some tapioca in the recipe to replicate that effect!

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#13 Old 11-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Veggie Recycler

I have found Daiya to be a good alternative to things like pizza or sandwiches, but only if melted.

I found a wonderful recipe today for an easy cheese sauce. It doesn't have the stretchy consistency, but is exactly like melted Velveeta or Stauffers cheese sauce, because you start with a roux (oil and flour mixed over heat) before adding plant based milk and nutritional yeast. This gives a wonderful sauce for something like pasta, dip or nachos...of course you can also add dijon mustard or tumeric, but the important thing here is the consistency that is practically identical to processed cheese sauce or "fancy" mac n cheese (versus the powder crud).

I haven't tried any artisan cheese, let us know if you find a good one for mozzarella, please!
#14 Old 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM

I don't fancy Daiya all that much, but it'll do in a pinch. The tastiest cheese I buy now is made by Treeline, and I find it at Whole Foods. Their cream cheese, made from almond milk, is the best, too (Tofutti is my second favorite).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page