Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By BobJustBob
  • 1 Post By Gita

#1 Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 AM

Does anyone take Beano?

I am transitioning to a vegan diet and although my intake of fruits and veggies has always been super high, I have increased the amount of beans and soy I've been eating the past few weeks, and well, the gas and gas pains have been really bad. I'm drinking a lot of water, and don't know what else to do.
Anyone else have this problem? Did you system eventually adjust? Has anyone tried a product like Beano for the short term?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Impeach the gangster

I had gas problems caused by beans and broccoli. I took Peaceful Digestion caps by Veglife. They're very similar to Beano, except they're vegan- no fish oil. The main ingredient of both these products is the enzyme, Alpha Galactosidase, which is very good at preventing gas. After a while, my problem cleared up. I haven't needed a supplement for years.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 09-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Try chewing a few fennel seeds before eating offending foods. There are some canned beans, like the spicy chili beans or baked beans,- and fennel prevented the bloat really well! They taste like liquorice, which I don't even like, but it tasted okay. You could also make a tea with them
Ginger is good for digestion too, but I think Gas-x is vegan.

You do rinse canned beans well right?

I was on a kick of having chili beans and cole slaw with vegan mayo and hot sauce on a bun. That's how I know!
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-12-2015, 07:37 AM

Pinkdora:

I am fortunate in that I had few problems with gas as I transitioned to a plant-based diet. I did try Beano and similar supplements early on--they seemed to help. My body adjusted over time and now I almost never have problems with gas.

I cannot emphasize too much how important it is to chew your food really well. You want to reduce the food particles to their smallest possible size so that your digestive enzymes can be most effective at breaking them down.

Good luck and hang in there!
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 09-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

growing up, I got used to a huge amount of beans, rice, potatoes, and veggies in my diet. We were poor and had a large family, so nearly every meal was extended with rice or beans since they were cheap. Since I ate them all my life, I never had much gas problem. I had a biome that could deal with the nitrogen. A person switching has got to encourage new gut bugs. Have you tried various probiotics with more than just acidophilous in them? I eat a lot of resistant starch prebiotics to keep my bugs happy. They seem to love my lentil-black bean chili, brown rice and lots of potato salad!
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Soak your beans overnight and rinse them super very well to get rid of the enzymes causing gas!

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#7 Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I think canned beans are the surefire way to reduce gas. Drain the beans and rinse them well until all the foaminess is gone.

I think Beano might contain gelatin, but there is a vegan alternative called "Bean-zyme." It is available online, and it works quite well if there are particular foods that are problematic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page