Veganism and being eco-friendly (plus vegan yarn?) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By Radharc
  • 1 Post By Radharc

#1 Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 AM

Veganism and being eco-friendly (plus vegan yarn?)

I've heard that veganism is eco-friendly, but I don't know how. I don't know how to be eco-friendly at all except to recycle and I don't know that that makes much difference. This mostly came to light for me when I googled 'vegan yarn' and it came up with stuff like hemp yarn and organic cotton yarn. Also, stuff that was only dyed naturally and therefore had some limited color ranges. I don't understand why I can't use acrylic or regular cotton yarn.

Any explanation on being eco-friendly or the yarn question would be much appreciated.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that a lot of the commercial dying processes aren't the friendliest to the environment. Acrylic doesn't hold natural plant dyes that well. In fact for a natural dye wool or silk would be your best bets ... but these are not vegan.

Cotton, linen, bamboo & hemp are all plant based yarns - I don't know how well they will hold a natural dye but the colours will be limited by what the yarn will hold.

Recycling definitely makes a difference - so you're making a really good start there. Look out for cleaning products that have a low impact on the environment (it'll often be a selling point for them). If you have any outside space you can compost your kitchen waste. Look at buying local rather than imported fresh veg. It's not about doing everything right but doing something right.
#3 Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

I'm actually watching the documentary Conspiracy: The Sustainability Secret on YouTube right now and I'm learning all sorts of things I didn't know about the impact of animal agriculture on the environment. Apparently, animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, greenhouse gases, and water waste. Not supporting the meat and dairy industry does more for the environment than any other act you could possibly do! That said, it doesn't hurt to bike or walk rather than drive, use less water, and recycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Happy vegan

There are lots of ways to be eco-friendly, and no whey jose is totally right and being vegan is one of the best ways. Recycling helps a lot too, tons and tons of recyclables are tossed into landfills instead of being recycled so they can be reused. Reusable products mean less consumption of our resources, of which we are going to run out of at the pace we are going at. Other ways you can be eco-friendly that are simple is to use sunlight instead of electricity, keeps electronics unplugged unless they are in use, taking shorter showers, recycling of course, etc. Any acts you do definitely make a difference!
#5 Old 08-22-2015, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Cotton is a big drain on water supplies, so that might be another reason why it's not seen 'as' eco-friendly as some of the other crops available.

I found this website to be pretty helpful, though I'm sure there's others.

I've put it as a tiny url as there is a swear word in the website address. There's also A LOT OF SWEARING in the page I've linked (so, if you don't like swearing, don't go to the page. You will be upset).

http://tinyurl.com/nn7cnoy

But, I think it's a fun way to look at how we can be more eco friendly, so I hope it helps you adopt some more eco-friendly habits. (They even mention eating 'less' meat, which is seemingly more of a trend these days).

My favourite tip, is reducing the amount of water it takes during a shower. I cannot STAND it when people leave the tap running, or when they take a shower for more than 10 minutes every single day.

I also like this calculator-

http://www.earthday.org/footprint-calculator

It can give you hints on how to be as eco-friendly as possible.

Just remember, you don't have to do EVERYTHING. By not eating animals, you're already being very eco-friendly to begin with. Don't fall into the trap of feeling guilty that you don't live in a flat that's completely powered by renewable energies and you only eat food that comes from less than 5KM away. You do what you can.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 08-22-2015, 03:59 AM

Thank you everyone for the responses and suggestions! I was just feeling so frustrated when I found out my yarn wasn't considered vegan because it wasn't 'this' or 'that'. I already use some of these tips and the rest I will try to put to use whenever practical.
LedBoots likes this.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
#7 Old 08-22-2015, 05:52 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses and suggestions! I was just feeling so frustrated when I found out my yarn wasn't considered vegan because it wasn't 'this' or 'that'. I already use some of these tips and the rest I will try to put to use whenever practical.
Hi Radharc, I have heard this frustration from vegan knitters before and understand how important the right yarn is for each project.

Don't be discouraged from knitting though! I think it's a pretty and practical way to be creative.
#8 Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi Radharc, I have heard this frustration from vegan knitters before and understand how important the right yarn is for each project.

Don't be discouraged from knitting though! I think it's a pretty and practical way to be creative.
Thank you. I actually crochet, but the same principle applies. I've tried knitting and can't seem to get the hang of it even though I've been told by some that it's easier than crochet. For now I'm giving away as much of my unlabeled yarn as possible and starting my collection over. When I can use stuff that has a small footprint I will, but otherwise I will use synthetic yarns, but I will try to keep those projects to a minimum because it does bother me. I have a lot of old yarn that I don't know what it is so I'm giving it to my brother's fiancé. Anything she doesn't want goes to goodwill and my collection of yarns and projects starts over. It's kindof refreshing now that I'm not stressing out about it.
LedBoots likes this.

-Buddha
#9 Old 08-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
Thank you. I actually crochet, but the same principle applies. I've tried knitting and can't seem to get the hang of it even though I've been told by some that it's easier than crochet. For now I'm giving away as much of my unlabeled yarn as possible and starting my collection over. When I can use stuff that has a small footprint I will, but otherwise I will use synthetic yarns, but I will try to keep those projects to a minimum because it does bother me. I have a lot of old yarn that I don't know what it is so I'm giving it to my brother's fiancé. Anything she doesn't want goes to goodwill and my collection of yarns and projects starts over. It's kindof refreshing now that I'm not stressing out about it.
I'm working my way through my stash - it's amazing how much I was hoarding ... but I'm looking into the alternative yarns and I have to say bamboo is lovely it's got a lovely silky feel (much like silk) but not too slippery. I've got some cotton & bamboo yarn (bamboo is a type of viscose) that I've made into a cowl - it's got a lovely drape.
#10 Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
I'm working my way through my stash - it's amazing how much I was hoarding ... but I'm looking into the alternative yarns and I have to say bamboo is lovely it's got a lovely silky feel (much like silk) but not too slippery. I've got some cotton & bamboo yarn (bamboo is a type of viscose) that I've made into a cowl - it's got a lovely drape.
That sounds really nice. I'll have to try some bamboo yarn when I have a bit more time. School just started (I need some extra classes), so time is a bit limited now.

-Buddha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page