• 2 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 3 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By dormouse
  • 4 Post By David3

#1 Old 08-19-2015, 02:36 PM

You have 7 days

Hello I decided to have a new fast, because pure water fasting was beginning to get to me. So I'm on a vegan without grains or sugar fast aiming toward raw (think genesis 1:29)... This is day 2 my belly is hungry and it is not processing raw vestibules well. Please help me. How do you eat? What do you eat? I am a good cook with food, as I define it I don't know how to eat raw or vestibules. Please help me, this stuff you eat is not normal to me. Great chance to try and convert me to your strage ways. Oh and I don't own a blender.

PS: I don't mean to offend you I'm in culture shock right now and don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I have trouble digesting some raw veggies. Zucchini in particular. Feels like I swallowed mulch
What's you goal? I would recommend a good vegan diet, instead of trying raw. WHat has yout diet been like before?

For breakfast I have cereals, fruit, soymilk, blended silken tofu with fruit, cooked grains, PB and jelly, apple and PB, banana and nuts

Lunch is either leftovers or sandwiches with bean spreads, fully loaded salads, soup, bean or lentils with rice, frozen broccoli or other veggies with noodles.

Dinner: anything. I sub beans for where people would use meat. I love tofu, tempeh, and sometimes I make seitan. I'll eat the packaged vegan things like Boca chik'n as I used to eat fast foods. I like Indian and Chinese foods. I make a lot of soups come winter, and salads in summer

Last edited by silva; 08-19-2015 at 03:01 PM.
#3 Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM
No flesh since 99'

It took my body MONTHS to adapt fully to a raw diet. And that was after being a vegetarian for 16 years. Oh, and you will be literally starving at first because raw foods are not calorie dense but are very bulky. You have to work up to massive portion sizes to consume adequate calories on a healthy raw diet. It's a process, not a fast. I don't know if doing it as a week long raw fast, especially if your body is not used to the high amounts of fiber your ingesting, is really going to do much (except make you live in the bathroom and possibly give you terrible gas and cramping). Have you considered juice fasting instead? Many people find juice fasting much easier on digestion and all that liquid will keep you full. I hope your short term vegan experience grows into a long term, healthy and cruelty free lifestyle

Oh, and I'll be the first to say that the raw lifestyle is definitely a strange way to eat at first and feels very foreign. But if you stick to it for a long enough time, you start to no longer want cooked foods. Regular vegan foods though are really not all that different from omni foods, they have everything from vegan "meats" to vegan "butter", "eggs", "mayo" and vegan BACON FAT (yup heard of this product the other day on another forum) and are a HUGE improvement from a SAD, not to mention an easy way to transition to plant based for life.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM

I normally start for with oatmeal (with eggs vinella cinimmon honey little bit of meat and penut butter (with penut oil just add a little water and oil with the penuat butter and boil it and it thins right out)). Always have my milk coconut almond or cow sometimes eggs with eggplant. Almost always eggs. Lunch and dinner is normally 3 to 4 course meals lots of meat (having a little withdraw right now) veggies, yams (love yams), grains/bulk foods. I fry a far amount and bake; boil most everything. Grace is kicking in so I can't remember as much.
This is made really hard since I'm not having grains or beans. I'm trying to force myself to do new things.

PS: kiwibird08 I think your getting those nuts into your head

Last edited by 7days; 08-19-2015 at 05:25 PM.
#5 Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 PM
No flesh since 99'

I would suggest (if you are really interested in this) heading to your local goodwill and seeing if you can find either a juicer (preferable) or a blender and good strainer (blend fruits or veg with some water, then strain to get the juice). They usually have a good selection of both for super cheap. I think juices will be a lot easier for someone coming from your dietary background interested in doing a very short-term raw thing. If you are dead set on straight raw fruits and veg, then I'd suggest going all fruit. Most people who's digestion is not geared towards high amounts of raw foods have a far easier time digesting fruits, and with few exceptions, they tend to be more calorie dense than veg and have natural (healthy) sugars for energy. Had I known what I do now when I went raw, I don't know that I would have gone nuts with all the greens and veg like I did at first and would have done more fruit. The excessive amount of veg really made my first few weeks raw a rather 'unpleasant' experience until it had time to adjust to the drastic changes. And while I can definitely eat a lot of greens and veg now that I've been raw over a year, I still lean towards a more fruit heavy diet. I think our bodies are better designed to digest it.
#6 Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 PM

Unhuh.... I'll see if they don't have one. It doesn't have to be all raw. Thank you. Does any of this stuff besides the sugar in the fruit ever taste good?
#7 Old 08-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Vegan food tastes delicious. A lot of your daily foods are already vegan (oatmeal with cinnamon and peanut butter, coconut and almond milk, eggplant, veggies, yams, grains.) Like others, I'm a bit confused as to why you're jumping straight into a raw diet. Usually people slip into it gradually, eliminating animal products from their regular diets and then slowly incorporating more raw foods once they're comfortable with a vegan diet. If you're already struggling with hunger and disliking the taste of the stuff you're eating, why not eat more like your usual meals minus the meat, dairy, and eggs?
Tiger Lilly and David3 like this.
#8 Old 08-20-2015, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

If you liked egg types of dishes try these for breakfast..

mash some canned chickpeas (or soak and cook dried chickpeas and then mash them); cut up some veggies like sweet bell pepper, celery, eggplant, zucchini, tomato...

Scramble the chickpeas and veggies in a nonstick skillet with a splash of vegetable broth, water, or oil. Add spices like turmeric, garlic powder, paprika, ground black pepper, etc. Chickpeas make a very nice substitute for eggs.

Chickpea flour (sometimes called besan flour) is another savory eggy kind of food that is great for making breakfast omelets. I take about 1/2 cup of it and add to a bowl. I sprinkle in some ground cumin spice and ground black pepper, then add 1/2 cup of water and mix to make a thick batter. Heat a nonstick skillet on low and add the batter to it like you would a pancake. Swirl it around to make a larger circle. Let it cook for a few minutes. While that is going, chop some spinach or another leafy green, some tomatoes, salsa, onion, any vegetable that you wish but not too many, and add this to the top of the chickpea flour pancake. Fold the pancake over, let it cook a few more minutes, and you have an omelet. High protein, grain free, full of vegetables. I add the salsa (I buy an organic locally made kind) to the top or in it for an added kick. You could grind some almonds and sprinkle those over it too.

Another favorite breakfast of mine is just a handful of raw whole nuts and a mango. I really swear that some of my best morning workouts have been a few hours after consuming this combination. I don't know what it is, but I always have more stamina and energy.

I'm not sure if you consider beans a grain, but I eat a lot of those as a protein staple and because I love them. White beans, black beans, chickpeas, lima beans, lentils of all varieties, cannelloni beans, great northern beans, navy...I include them in soups, spreads, casseroles, sandwiches, all by themselves. I often incorporate various seeds like chia, pumpkin, sunflower to my diet, and on occasion I use almonds or pecans or walnuts. I eat a brazil nut or two each day for the selenium. And leafy greens are a daily staple. I grow my own collard greens and in the past have also grown spinach, and I grow beets and beet leaves. Beet leaves eaten raw are awesome, very salty and flavorful. Raw kale is chewy but if you add some to a bowl, mash some avocado and add lemon juice to it and then rub this into the kale, and then add some fresh chopped tomato and ground black pepper, this makes a great raw meal. No blender needed.

If you are insistent on going grain free (I love my whole grains and they give me nutrients, protein, satiety, energy and I am slim and active) here are some grain free vegan ideas in addition to the ones I added above:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/gra...egan-food.html

Most of them are not raw but I think a few are.

The more unprocessed you eat the better whole foods will taste and the more you will appreciate the texture and nutrients they provide your body. And the less you will crave sugar and junk food. It takes time, patience, and commitment. In the longrun it is well worth it!

I have a book called "Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life" written by Brendan Brazier who is a long term vegan athlete. Most of the recipes in his book are raw or high raw and would be right up your alley. He includes what are called pseudo grains in some recipes, such as wild rice, buckwheat groats, millet. These are not true grains but are seeds/grasses that act like grains. You can probably find this book in a major public library or buy it very cheap used on Amazon.com if you are interested. I have used this book for some great recipes here and there. His stuff is higher density/calorific because he is an athlete and it is geared towards athletes so keep this in mind.

And welcome to Veggieboards! I hope you can make a solid lifestyle change to a vegetarian/vegan way of life. It's worth so much more than a fast or detox.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 08-20-2015, 04:40 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7days View Post
Does any of this stuff besides the sugar in the fruit ever taste good?
Of course, when you prepare it right. Cooked vegan foods are much easier to make more flavorful with basic kitchen equipment and will make for a much easier transition to a plant based diet. If your aiming for raw though, some more "specialty" equipment is really necessary or you're kind of limited to fruits and veg as-is (which can get boring and repetitive). But healthy, flavorful cooked vegan foods you should be pretty much able to make so long as you have the most basic of kitchen gear! And if you ever do feel inclined to add some grains and beans to your cooked vegan foods, you will discover a HUGE variety of very tasty options like lentils, quinoa, chickpeas and the many things you can make with beans. Also, don't forget nuts and seeds too. You don't want to overdo them, but they are definitely an important and healthy part of a balanced cooked or raw vegan diet.

Quote:
1 unleavened bread (water flour and a little peanut oil)
2 black eyed beans with a few cut Tabasco and another medium pepper with a little peanut oil
3 a tomato with mashed avocado and cut onion red pepper on top
What do you all think?
Sounds like a delicious step in the right direction, and on the right path to getting used to vegan foods. Keep trying things your used to and know you like, just make them vegan-style
no whey jose likes this.
#10 Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Why exactly are you aiming for a raw vegan diet? That might help us give you the most appropriate advice. Are you concerned about health? About animal rights? About environmental impact? Your comments about water fasting made me wonder what this is really all about.

Either way, I think that you're moving really quickly and it's not surprising that you're very hungry. As others have said, it takes a while to transition into a new diet.
David3 and no whey jose like this.
#11 Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi 7 Days,

Vegan diets aren't about fasting. Healthy vegan diets are based on beans, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and smaller quantities of oily food (like nuts, nut butters, avocados and seeds). We vegans eat plenty!

Although purely raw vegan diets are growing in popularity, no mainstream vegan organization recommends such a diet. I'm not saying that it's necessarily unhealthy - I am saying that 100% raw vegan diets do not yet have the approval of the well-established vegan organizations (such as the Vegan Society, Vegetarian Society, or the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine).

Could you let us know why are interested in fasting? Fasting means reducing your food intake, which means reducing the nutrients that your body receives. This is not really advisable, unless this is part of a medically-supervised treatment.

Please give us more information about your goals in this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-20-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page