• 1 Post By Evanesce
  • 3 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Evanesce
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 2 Post By Evanesce
  • 1 Post By meg moo
  • 2 Post By varun

#1 Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Going vegan... How to convince my parents?

So I really want to do this, but I know my parents are going to have a complete fit about it. How do I convince them to let me do this? The whole benefit for animals thing won't fly with them.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Oh, grasshopper. To be young and dwelling in your parent's abode.. I don't envy you. When you grow up, look forward to the vegan gluten free cookies you can eat for breakfast. Ahem, anyways, no I have never done that... Focus on the benefits of a plant-based diet; lower incidence of diabetes, heart problems, obesity. All and all, stick to your guns, and not in a negative menacing way, more just that you've thought this through (you have, right? ) and you're committed to changing your lifestyle.
#3 Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanesce View Post
So I really want to do this, but I know my parents are going to have a complete fit about it. How do I convince them to let me do this? The whole benefit for animals thing won't fly with them.
It is scary and unknown territory for most parents, so you will have to present your case.

When my now 22 year old son was 9 or 10 years old, and came to (then omni) me, telling me he wanted to go vegetarian. I panicked (it was Thanksgiving and my omni parents were there), but made him a vegetarian plate. I asked him later that evening why and how the veg thing, and he handed me a paper he had compiled and printed out.

REASONS TO GO VEGETARIAN. He had sections on health and nutrition, animal cruelty and death, and environmental reasons. His little one page paper was very moving and logical at the same time. I wish I still had it; he used to carry it in his pocket and hand it to people who asked why he didn't eat meat.

My husband and I went veg and then vegan with him a couple of years later.
Purp, no whey jose and mmabacados like this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 07-16-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Check books out from your local library. That's what I did (one of the things I did, anyway) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Nutrition is a good book, as is Erik Marcus' Vegan The New Ethics of Eating. The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, along with The Mayo Clinic has a good section on vegetarianism.

There's a lot more then this, trust me. I'll come back and add to it later.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 07-17-2015, 03:42 AM

Thank you, guys I feel a bit better about telling them now. I can just hope they don't have a freak attack.... Maybe at first I'll just say vegetarian, then later on once they come around I'll tell them about going vegan. Thanks for the advice.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 07-17-2015, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thank you, guys I feel a bit better about telling them now. I can just hope they don't have a freak attack.... Maybe at first I'll just say vegetarian, then later on once they come around I'll tell them about going vegan. Thanks for the advice.
I'm not saying they WILL definitely freak.... But, do keep in mind that usually when people go vegetarian or vegan, they do it after a lot of thought and consideration.

Your parents haven't had the time to adjust to you being vegetarian, so they may do the human thing and get scared/angry at the new thing. It's perfectly normal. Just be sure to give them a little time to come around (and do loads of research on how to stay healthy because that will be a concern of theirs and a justifiable one at that).
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 07-17-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
I'm not saying they WILL definitely freak.... But, do keep in mind that usually when people go vegetarian or vegan, they do it after a lot of thought and consideration.

Your parents haven't had the time to adjust to you being vegetarian, so they may do the human thing and get scared/angry at the new thing. It's perfectly normal. Just be sure to give them a little time to come around (and do loads of research on how to stay healthy because that will be a concern of theirs and a justifiable one at that).
Absolutely. I know my mom won't be happy about, but I'll give her time to blow off steam. I'll be firm about it though. No backing down on this one. Then later I'll tell my dad. But still haven't worked up the courage yet to tell them.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.
#8 Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Absolutely. I know my mom won't be happy about, but I'll give her time to blow off steam. I'll be firm about it though. No backing down on this one. Then later I'll tell my dad. But still haven't worked up the courage yet to tell them.
Good luck. You're in my prayers.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 07-17-2015, 06:05 PM
cinnamon bun

Just stay calm when talking with them about it (even if they're mad) because people are very defensive and mean at times about veganism. I went vegetarian as a kid and my family gave me such a hard time I stopped after 2 years. I was uneducated back then. My advice is to read up all you can about veganism, and remember why you want to be vegan in the first place. I understand they're your parents, but don't let their opinion about veganism make you shy away from it. If you present a non-emotional, valid, factual piece on why you want to be vegan, they are more likely to accept it. Be yourself and good luck!
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 07-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

A parents only fear is that their child might not get the required nutrition out of vegetarian and/or vegan food. This aspect will be of their concern the most, anger & shock are just side-effects of concern. Also its an instinct of man to question/dumb-down something he cannot comprehend and so might I warn you, you will have to tackle more people than just your parents. Take it as part of the game.

You can give your folks the links to any good article that talks about veg*an food being complete in terms of nutrition & far more healthier in the long run than meat diet. They need to know that worldwide there are close to 500 million vegetarian people (about 400m in India, I guess the rest of the world should make up 100m).. they are all living normal healthy lives and so are their kids. There is a highly unnecessary stigma around veganism in U.S/Europe which needs to be eliminated, once that is done we can look to add much more numbers to our kind. Goodluck.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page