• 1 Post By Thia Winter
  • 1 Post By Thia Winter
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By Thia Winter
  • 1 Post By Muttley
  • 1 Post By Thia Winter

#1 Old 05-08-2015, 05:57 AM

I told my family....

Sooooo last night I told my family that I was going vegan. Right off the bat I got the protein and calcium debate.

We are living with my parents right now because of some financial difficulties. My husband SAYS he's supportive, then we have conversations with that end with me getting mad and him saying "I'm not saying this to put you down" but it FEELS that way. Either way, I don't care, I'm in for the long haul but it would be nice to have more support at home you know?

Thanks for the vent.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I know how irksome that is. When I went vegan, my extended family would bombard me with questions (in their case, regarding the ethics side) every time they saw me, for the first full year or so. Now though, they've gotten bored of me and if I so much as mention tofu, they roll their eyes. I'm still pretty pissed to this day (I need to let go of grudges!).

But in your case, they seem to be focusing on the nutrition/health aspect of it, right? Could it be that perhaps their questionning stems from concern for you and your health? It's quite possible they are motivated by how much they care about you.

One thing I learned the hard way about talking about veganism with loved ones is that more often than not, *they* will initiate the topic, and then get defensive and accuse you of being pushy with your beliefs. The best way to deal is to be as knowledgable on the topic as possible, and answer their question in the most succinct way possible, no fluff, no footnotes, or adendums.

Oh, and find a safe outlet for the inevitable frustration! These boards are here to help!

Best of luck, and congrats on the transition!
#3 Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Ankle Biter

For most of us, saying that we're going vegan is like dropping a bombshell right in the living room!

I went vegan at the age of 45, and for the first five years, my mother was sure that it was just "another crazy phase" I was going through. and I had been vegetarian for a long time before I went vegan.

After nearly 10 years, I'm happy to report that things are so much better! Family and friends are all on board, they seek out restaurants where we can all be accommodated, and for the most part they all seem to respect that I'm living my values.

So, hang in there. Keep your sense of humor. Come to VB for support, and know that you're doing a great thing!
Tom, amhappy1, Purp and 1 others like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
Ugh, I know how irksome that is. When I went vegan, my extended family would bombard me with questions (in their case, regarding the ethics side) every time they saw me, for the first full year or so. Now though, they've gotten bored of me and if I so much as mention tofu, they roll their eyes. I'm still pretty pissed to this day (I need to let go of grudges!).

But in your case, they seem to be focusing on the nutrition/health aspect of it, right? Could it be that perhaps their questionning stems from concern for you and your health? It's quite possible they are motivated by how much they care about you.

One thing I learned the hard way about talking about veganism with loved ones is that more often than not, *they* will initiate the topic, and then get defensive and accuse you of being pushy with your beliefs. The best way to deal is to be as knowledgable on the topic as possible, and answer their question in the most succinct way possible, no fluff, no footnotes, or adendums.

Oh, and find a safe outlet for the inevitable frustration! These boards are here to help!

Best of luck, and congrats on the transition!
Thanks....youre right its more concern, and now I feel bad. I talked to my mom on the phone and she said "whatever you need to do to be healthy we'll support". I may have actually said the things necessary to rest her mind at ease I guess.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
For most of us, saying that we're going vegan is like dropping a bombshell right in the living room!

I went vegan at the age of 45, and for the first five years, my mother was sure that it was just "another crazy phase" I was going through. and I had been vegetarian for a long time before I went vegan.

After nearly 10 years, I'm happy to report that things are so much better! Family and friends are all on board, they seek out restaurants where we can all be accommodated, and for the most part they all seem to respect that I'm living my values.

So, hang in there. Keep your sense of humor. Come to VB for support, and know that you're doing a great thing!
Thanks Poppy! I'm 41. I definitely plan to hang out here and also find people around where i live.
Poppy and Purp like this.
#6 Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 AM

I'm excited now! I signed up for a local veg meetup and was on the waiting list but a spot opened up and I get to go!! Its tomorrow at a local vegan restaurant.
River and Purp like this.
#7 Old 05-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Thia -

CONGRATS!!!!!

Take it one meal at a time.

Enjoy your new adventure!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#8 Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
Thia -

CONGRATS!!!!!

Take it one meal at a time.

Enjoy your new adventure!!!!
Thank you!! I will!!
#9 Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Banned

the best tactic for dealing with family, is to try to realise most of them are mad, this is easy to do if you know your right...
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 05-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
the best tactic for dealing with family, is to try to realise most of them are mad, this is easy to do if you know your right...
Lolol boy isn't THAT the truth!! Thanks seanE!
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope you have a great time at the veg meetup Thia! Hang in there with the family. They will come around eventually. My inlaws thought I was joining a cult when I told them I went vegan lol.

Ps. I went vegan at 38 and am now almost 43. so many of us here are around the same age.
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 05-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

You should've started out telling them you are an ax murderer, then told them you are going vegan...It'd make it a lot easier on them, and given us (at least me) a good laugh.
Tom, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I hope you have a great time at the veg meetup Thia! Hang in there with the family. They will come around eventually. My inlaws thought I was joining a cult when I told them I went vegan lol.

Ps. I went vegan at 38 and am now almost 43. so many of us here are around the same age.
Thanks naturebound! I havent told the inlaws yet, we don't have much contact with them but I bet I would get that reaction too ...

Oh that's awesome! My coworker is younger than me and her husband is also vegetarian so she has some support at home.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 05-09-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
You should've started out telling them you are an ax murderer, then told them you are going vegan...It'd make it a lot easier on them, and given us (at least me) a good laugh.
Lololol!!!
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 05-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Thia! I'm glad that you and your immediate family are at ease with each other.

Sometimes, when people go vegetarian or vegan, they DON'T make healthy food choices, so your family's initial concern might have had some valid backing. Then again, the Standard American Diet has its own health problems associated with it... so there you go.
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#16 Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 AM

Thx Tom!
Purp likes this.
#17 Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 AM
an irregular

Congratulations on being open and upfront with your family, its always a good thing to be able to be yourself and do what you feel is the right thing to do!

Posts like these always make me feel a little left out for all the wrong reasons! when i first went vegetarian, which lasted about a week before cutting dairy and the like, no one really batted an eye! friends and family, even including "flamboyant" omnivores"; ' oh yeah, thats cool... *on to next subject of conversation*' With the exception of a few questions about whats in something if i host friends or family or what i eat in lieu of something else, its just never been "a thing". i want my offended moment!
Purp likes this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#18 Old 05-12-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Congratulations on being open and upfront with your family, its always a good thing to be able to be yourself and do what you feel is the right thing to do!

Posts like these always make me feel a little left out for all the wrong reasons! when i first went vegetarian, which lasted about a week before cutting dairy and the like, no one really batted an eye! friends and family, even including "flamboyant" omnivores"; ' oh yeah, thats cool... *on to next subject of conversation*' With the exception of a few questions about whats in something if i host friends or family or what i eat in lieu of something else, its just never been "a thing". i want my offended moment!
Lol! Yeah, it went way better than I thought but I could do without my offended moment lol. I haven't gotten those at work though.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page