Planning to go vegan can you help i'm a little scared? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By porcelainowl
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By gjbz123
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Vegan Dave
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Happy Veggie
 
gjbz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 95
Exclamation Planning to go vegan can you help i'm a little scared?

Okay so i'm going to try it again i'm planing to go vegan I tried onece but couldn't make it past the second week because I don't know any recipes or what to eat etc. I've still been vegetarian for half a year now but I really want to go vegan, but it's just that my siblings will make fun of me more than they already do last time they all said I was stupid and going to die or won't get any protein blah blah! And to make things worst my meat loving brother who works at a slaughter house said he'll eat extra meat and stuff to make me feel uncomfortable as you can tell I don't get alone with my siblings and I live with 6 of them the rest all moved out (I have a total of 10 siblings) Anyway I want to try again but i'm scared of what my siblings will say and stuff. And I need a food plan so I don't eat unhealthy but I don't know what to eat i'm allergic to all peanuts and tree nuts I already drink the So Good Chocolate Soy Milk because i've never really liked milk and I don't know how I'll live without eating candy and chocolate they're basically all I eat so can you please help and maybe link a good meal plan to follow i'm only 13 so I can't buy my own food my parents still do but I shop with them because it's fun.
gjbz123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
Check the "What did you eat vegan today" thread. That should help you.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
#3 Old 04-24-2015, 01:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 25
If you can buy Vegan for Life by Jack Norris, that should help a lot with planning nutritious meals and understanding vegan nutrition. Or check him out on YouTube and listen to his lecture on vegan nutrition.
My family isn't exactly supportive of my choice to be vegan either. (I am currently in a cholesterol competition with my brother, to see whose will be lowest. Lol) So, I arm myself with information. Listening to lectures from the vegetarian society of Hawaii has been super informative! I throw out facts about B12 and homocysteine levels and that stops the teasing pretty fast.
Take care!
MrBearding likes this.
porcelainowl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-24-2015, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Congratulations on making such a big lifestyle choice at such a young age! I went vegetarian when I was 9 but I didn't go vegan until my 30s. I wish I'd done it sooner!

Your siblings sound infuriating, but have you heard the phrase "the best revenge is a good life"? If you live a happy, healthy vegan life, that will be all the proof you'll need that they were wrong.

You can absolutely still eat candy and chocolate on a vegan diet., though I think you should save it for treats and dessert rather than trying to live off it! You need fruits, veggies, beans, and whole grains too. Are you in the USA? I know that some Lindt dark chocolate bars are vegan. I like the 70% cacao bar because it's not too bitter. Oreo cookies don't contain any animal ingredients. Most fruity hard candies like lollipops, Skittles, and Jolly Ranchers are fine, too. If you Google "accidentally vegan candy" you'll find tons of lists.

Will you be doing your own cooking? Do you like pasta? Whole wheat pasta is very healthy and easy to prepare-- just boil water in a pot, add the pasta, and wait until it's cooked (usually around 8 to 10 minutes). Drain it and add pasta sauce. Most commercial pasta sauces are vegan. Just look out for cheese. Usually "garden blend" sauces, "tomato and garlic" sauces, and "roasted red pepper" sauces are fine.

You can buy frozen veggies that steam in the microwave. Just look out for butter and cheese sauce-- you want the ones in olive oil and spices. You can eat these by themselves or with rice (also available in microwave pouches if necessary) or pasta.

Canned beans and vegetarian chilis are easy to heat up on the stove and very filling. You can also find vegan canned soups.

Do you like fruit? For a quick snack, grab an apple or a banana. No preparation needed, and the sweetness might help you cut out a serving of candy or two.
mecanna and bil like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#5 Old 04-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Happy Veggie
 
gjbz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Congratulations on making such a big lifestyle choice at such a young age! I went vegetarian when I was 9 but I didn't go vegan until my 30s. I wish I'd done it sooner!

Your siblings sound infuriating, but have you heard the phrase "the best revenge is a good life"? If you live a happy, healthy vegan life, that will be all the proof you'll need that they were wrong.

You can absolutely still eat candy and chocolate on a vegan diet., though I think you should save it for treats and dessert rather than trying to live off it! You need fruits, veggies, beans, and whole grains too. Are you in the USA? I know that some Lindt dark chocolate bars are vegan. I like the 70% cacao bar because it's not too bitter. Oreo cookies don't contain any animal ingredients. Most fruity hard candies like lollipops, Skittles, and Jolly Ranchers are fine, too. If you Google "accidentally vegan candy" you'll find tons of lists.

Will you be doing your own cooking? Do you like pasta? Whole wheat pasta is very healthy and easy to prepare-- just boil water in a pot, add the pasta, and wait until it's cooked (usually around 8 to 10 minutes). Drain it and add pasta sauce. Most commercial pasta sauces are vegan. Just look out for cheese. Usually "garden blend" sauces, "tomato and garlic" sauces, and "roasted red pepper" sauces are fine.

You can buy frozen veggies that steam in the microwave. Just look out for butter and cheese sauce-- you want the ones in olive oil and spices. You can eat these by themselves or with rice (also available in microwave pouches if necessary) or pasta.

Canned beans and vegetarian chilis are easy to heat up on the stove and very filling. You can also find vegan canned soups.

Do you like fruit? For a quick snack, grab an apple or a banana. No preparation needed, and the sweetness might help you cut out a serving of candy or two.
WOW So much information thanks! I love cooking and I always buy frozen veggies that I steam on the stove my grandma and I love doing it together I live in Canada so lots of healthy foods are pretty expensive and I've never seen a vegan chocolate before I'll be on the look out for those. Hmm whole wheat pasta i've never tried only plain pasta but my grandma always makes her food whole wheat i'll have to try that. Everyone has such great advice and I also googled for vegan margarines (I like it on my baked potatoes and veggies sometimes) and A popular brand here in Canada Becel has a vegan kind how nice of them hehe and apparently plain lay's potatoes chips are vegan yay I can feed my teenager cravings now! I won't listen to my siblings being rude about my new lifestyle change I want to help the animals and be healthier! On Monday i'll start buying some new foods because that's when I go grocery shopping with my grandma it's so much fun! Thanks again everyone I need to go make a meal plan now and google lots of stuff
no whey jose likes this.
gjbz123 is offline  
#6 Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
Most plain pasta is vegan too. Just saying in case you're concerned that only whole wheat pasta is.
I live in Canada too, and I've never seen the Becel vegan butter where I live.
The Giddy yoyo chocolate brand is vegan.
no whey jose likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
#7 Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Happy Veggie
 
gjbz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Most plain pasta is vegan too. Just saying in case you're concerned that only whole wheat pasta is.
I live in Canada too, and I've never seen the Becel vegan butter where I live.
The Giddy yoyo chocolate brand is vegan.
Okay thank you yeah I thought only whole wheat was vegan haha the grocery store Metero has becel Vegan it's kinda hidden and in a light green container and in big words it says VEGAN haha try looking for it also becel is very healthy my grandma is diabetic and that's what the doctors told her to use
gjbz123 is offline  
#8 Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,646
Mercy For Animals has published a nicely-written and beautifully-illustrated vegan guide: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vsg.pdf . The nutrition part of the guide starts on page 7.
Jue35 likes this.
David3 is offline  
#9 Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10
You seem like such a sweet girl! I am very excited for you the world of veganism is a very fun and fruity place! and I recommend personally that smoothies are one of the best things you can know about! breakfast lunch and dinner sort of meal! so filling and satisfying! if you are unprepared one day, and feel like slipping because you cant find a good recipe look to the blender! half an avocado, one banana, spinach, frozen raspberries/any frozen fruit with a little natural fruit juice is sure to give you the nutrition you need!(maybe get some health powders too) and thats important! chips are okay, so is becel but darling I hope your eating enough good calories! your growing so you need a lot so you can be strong!!
juniperpratt is offline  
#10 Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Happy Veggie
 
gjbz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpratt View Post
You seem like such a sweet girl! I am very excited for you the world of veganism is a very fun and fruity place! and I recommend personally that smoothies are one of the best things you can know about! breakfast lunch and dinner sort of meal! so filling and satisfying! if you are unprepared one day, and feel like slipping because you cant find a good recipe look to the blender! half an avocado, one banana, spinach, frozen raspberries/any frozen fruit with a little natural fruit juice is sure to give you the nutrition you need!(maybe get some health powders too) and thats important! chips are okay, so is becel but darling I hope your eating enough good calories! your growing so you need a lot so you can be strong!!
Thank you And I'll try to eat enough calories i'm so excited to start helping the animals and me i'm getting the food tomorrow I hope my parents are okay with it
gjbz123 is offline  
#11 Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
shellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 963
Does your family make stir-fry? Your parents recipe likely doesn't contain eggs or dairy so if you make it in 2 separate pans (meat in one, veggies in the other) you can use the same sauce you are already used to.
shellie is offline  
#12 Old 04-27-2015, 09:09 AM
Happy Veggie
 
gjbz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
Does your family make stir-fry? Your parents recipe likely doesn't contain eggs or dairy so if you make it in 2 separate pans (meat in one, veggies in the other) you can use the same sauce you are already used to.
I'm actually the only one that likes stir-fry. I've been vegetarian for half a year so they know what to cook for family meals but I do most the cooking in the house because they all eat meat and almost never eat veggies and I just found out that my favorite pasta sauce has cheese in it! I'm getting a new one today that's vegan friendly
gjbz123 is offline  
#13 Old 04-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
Think of going vegetarian as Phase One, and going vegan as Phase Two.

Phase One....no animals.

Phase Two......no animal products.

It's a little weird at first.....like making sure that there's no grated cheese or boiled egg on your salad. After awhile, you get good at asking all the right questions at restaurants, and in selecting food in the grocery store.

Take it day by day.....it gets easier the longer you do it.
dormouse and LedBoots like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#14 Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Newbie
 
Jue35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 67
Good luck. You sound a lovely girl with a big heart. Ignore your siblings. I am 35 and no longer speak to any of mine as they were always so nasty to me lol!! Do what's right for you, and stick to your beliefs.

My daughter is 9 and my son 11, they've both become vegetarian with me and have strong beliefs about animal welfare. You children are the best kind.

I am trying to go vegan too, it's quite a change. I hope it's going well for you.

Julie
Jue35 is offline  
#15 Old 05-18-2015, 05:37 AM
Newbie
 
Jue35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 67
Brilliant thanks David, this helped me alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Mercy For Animals has published a nicely-written and beautifully-illustrated vegan guide: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vsg.pdf . The nutrition part of the guide starts on page 7.
Jue35 is offline  
Reply

Tags
eating help , family siblings , made fun of , vegan no support

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off