Cheap Vegan Dinners? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dormouse
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 04-19-2015, 07:58 AM
vampire

Cheap Vegan Dinners?

Since I still live at home for the time being, I don't buy most of the food, but I'd still like to go vegan before I move out. I pretty much eat vegan through breakfast and lunch, but dinner is something that I have a little more trouble with.

I love rice, so if anyone has any suggestions for a good vegan curry I'd love to hear those too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Pasta and marinara sauce. You can toss in veggies (fresh or frozen), vegan meat crumbles, or beans to make it a little more interesting and substantial.

Beans and rice.

Bean burritos or tacos.

There are some curry recipes in the cookbook Isa Does It which is one of my favorites. I haven't tried any of those recipes in particular, but any recipe by Isa Moskowitz or the Post Punk Kitchen is going to be awesome.
#3 Old 04-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Cabbage or /Spinach/Green Beans Curry

One Whole White Cabbage
1 onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
3 Teaspoons of Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons of Scotch bonnet pepper
Garlic Salt
Curry Powder
Madras Powder
1 Tomato
Dried Thyme
Bay leaf
1 tablespoon of Oil

Fry the Onions, Garlic, Pepper and Tomato in oil until Onions are softened.
Add in the spices and seasonings stirring until most of the water from the Tomatoes dry up
Then add chopped Cabbage and some Tomato Paste/puree
Add a tablespoon of Coconut Milk (or coconut powder)

Simmer till Cabbage is soft.

You can use any Vegetable really I'd also recommend Potato and Spinach just replace the Scotch bonnet chilli with Green chillis.

Why not Stir fried Rice?

Stir Fried Rice

Two Cups of leftover Basmati rice
4 Tablespoons of low sodium Soy Sauce
3 Carrots, diced
1 Onion, diced
5 Broccoli florets
1 Garlic clove, crushed
2 Cups of Diced Cabbage
Corn frozen
Chinese five spice
Chilli Powder
Garlic powder
Black Pepper

Fry diced Onions and Carrots for 6 minutes then add the Cabbage and Broccoli alongside crushed Garlic. Then add the Corn continue stir frying for 3 minutes then add the Soy Sauce a little at a time to moisten the veg. Add the seasonings and stir fry in the leftover rice. Check for seasonings add Soy/Seasoning if you need more.

Done!

I actually made both within this last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Last night I made a quick pumpkin chili. I added a can of pureed pumpkin to a large pot, then added a can of diced tomato, some fresh chopped onion, green bell pepper, can of kidney beans and can of pinto beans. I added some water and simmered the whole thing on the stove. I added spices like chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and basil too, and just a pinch of salt/pepper. Made a very filling and comforting bowl of stew on a cool evening. My husband and I had some more tonight as it makes about six servings.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Yomo,

What were your favorite dishes, back when you used to be an omnivore? If you let us know, we can give you vegan versions of those dishes.
#6 Old 04-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Yomo -

Black beans & rice is one of my favorites.

I love curry, too. I get some onion, mushrooms, bell peppers and green peas and heat them in a pan. Then I pour in some curry sauce & let it simmer. Pour that over rice & you have a great dinner!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Tags
cheap , dinner , Vegan , yomo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page