• 2 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave

#1 Old 03-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Finally time to go vegan...I hope?

Hello there!

Hopefully there are enough long-timers here who remember me. I think I resigned from mod duties and stopped posting regularly in the summer of 2012. For those who don't know me, I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since 2008. That transition was fast and easy for me, since I never really liked the taste or texture of most meat for as long as I can remember. But, I have always been a cheese addict!

I have been slowly cutting back on lots of animal products. I replaced dairy milk with soy milk. I replaced butter with Earth Balance. In the last several months, I stopped eating my daily breakfast of scrambled eggs and started eating oatmeal instead. I've been experimenting with lots of vegan recipes, especially vegan baking, from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks.

It has all come down to cheese. I think it was on VB where I first learned that cheese can be literally addictive, and my personal experience supports this. I sometimes feel dependent on cheese, and I don't think I've ever gone a day without eating it.

A vegan lifestyle is the right choice. I've thought this for a long time, but I've been afraid to try it. Afraid of the idea of a whole life without cheese. Never eating cheese again?! But, then I am a hypocrite. How much can I really care about animals or environment if I cannot stop consuming cheese, based only on my own pleasure?

Lots of things have been changing in my life, and I feel the drive now to attempt the change. But it's so scary! My purpose in writing this is to make it more real, to create more of a commitment, and to have the social pressure (and support) to follow through on this intention.

So, I intend to take this one day at a time and post about my progress. Today, so far so good! My breakfast was oatmeal with sauteed apples, cinnamon, and walnuts. I'm eating a chickpea salad sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch. (The chickpea salad does have non-vegan mayo, because I happened to have some when I made it earlier in the week. The key thing for me here is NO CHEESE! Mayo is easily replaceable.)

I also went to Whole Foods today and bought a bunch of supplies, including white miso (which Isa uses in a lot of recipes), chocolate almond milk, Whole Soy soy yogurt, Just Mayo, Tofurkey Tempeh bacon, quinoa, and Vegan Gourmet cream cheese. There also happens to be a book store next to my Whole Foods, so I bought Thug Kitchen, Vegan with a Vengeance, and a stack of David Foster Wallace books (ok, these have nothing to do with my veganism project.)

Sorry for the long read! Wish me luck!
Capstan, River, Purp and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi and welcome back!! Have you tried Daiya havarti wedge? Yum. But I hadn't had cheese for a few years before i tried it, so can't promise it is like dairy cheese.
#3 Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Dormouse!! Welcome back!!

Congrats on the decision to go vegan
Purp and David3 like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Although I never liked cheese (aside from cheesecake, of course!) and can't really empathize, I have heard really great things about Chao by Field Roast. Are you familiar with this? It's sliced vegan cheese in various flavors, and it's meant to be excellent.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 03-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi and welcome back!! Have you tried Daiya havarti wedge? Yum. But I hadn't had cheese for a few years before i tried it, so can't promise it is like dairy cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Although I never liked cheese (aside from cheesecake, of course!) and can't really empathize, I have heard really great things about Chao by Field Roast. Are you familiar with this? It's sliced vegan cheese in various flavors, and it's meant to be excellent.
I have not tried either of those specific cheeses, but I did see both of them in Whole Foods today. I might wait on the fake cheese unless I have a specific recipe that it's going in (for example, there are some nachos with queso in "Isa Does It" that look awesome.) I have tried Daiya's cheddar shreds and thought they were okay, but not good enough to use as much of it as I usually use of real cheese. I like to absolutely smother things in cheese, so I think I'll need to alter my style some, even if I do incorporate fake cheese eventually.

I did buy some of Amy's frozen Mac and Cheese with Daiya as an emergency measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Dormouse!! Welcome back!!

Congrats on the decision to go vegan
Thanks!
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hiya dormouse! I'm glad you're back!

I've mostly given up the search for good vegan cheese for the moment. Moneys been tight. I do have a bag of cashews for good garlicy, nut yeast spreds
I like Daiya for a grilled cheese. For me, it's the same as American. Don't really care for it in other things though.

I have learned to replace cheese with -
Olives-all kinds and as much as possible
Mushrooms ^
Carmelized onions^
artichoke hearts
roasted red peppers

Now if I could learn to make a good crispy pizza crust I'd be all set!

Try the Just mayo with some nut yeast-that's cheesy, like a white sauce kind of thing
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 03-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
That's one I'd like to try.

and they're ALL "meant" to be excellent!
River, Purp and no whey jose like this.
#8 Old 03-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

congrats! wish you the best!
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 03-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Hiya dormouse! I'm glad you're back!

I've mostly given up the search for good vegan cheese for the moment. Moneys been tight. I do have a bag of cashews for good garlicy, nut yeast spreds
I like Daiya for a grilled cheese. For me, it's the same as American. Don't really care for it in other things though.

I have learned to replace cheese with -
Olives-all kinds and as much as possible
Mushrooms ^
Carmelized onions^
artichoke hearts
roasted red peppers

Now if I could learn to make a good crispy pizza crust I'd be all set!

Try the Just mayo with some nut yeast-that's cheesy, like a white sauce kind of thing
Yeah, I'm thinking olives and avocados will be my great fatty friends in this endeavor.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#10 Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi dormouse and welcome back.

My good wishes on your vegan journey.

Leedsveg
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 03-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
Hello there!

Hopefully there are enough long-timers here who remember me. I think I resigned from mod duties and stopped posting regularly in the summer of 2012. For those who don't know me, I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since 2008. That transition was fast and easy for me, since I never really liked the taste or texture of most meat for as long as I can remember. But, I have always been a cheese addict!

I have been slowly cutting back on lots of animal products. I replaced dairy milk with soy milk. I replaced butter with Earth Balance. In the last several months, I stopped eating my daily breakfast of scrambled eggs and started eating oatmeal instead. I've been experimenting with lots of vegan recipes, especially vegan baking, from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks.

It has all come down to cheese. I think it was on VB where I first learned that cheese can be literally addictive, and my personal experience supports this. I sometimes feel dependent on cheese, and I don't think I've ever gone a day without eating it.

A vegan lifestyle is the right choice. I've thought this for a long time, but I've been afraid to try it. Afraid of the idea of a whole life without cheese. Never eating cheese again?! But, then I am a hypocrite. How much can I really care about animals or environment if I cannot stop consuming cheese, based only on my own pleasure?

Lots of things have been changing in my life, and I feel the drive now to attempt the change. But it's so scary! My purpose in writing this is to make it more real, to create more of a commitment, and to have the social pressure (and support) to follow through on this intention.

So, I intend to take this one day at a time and post about my progress. Today, so far so good! My breakfast was oatmeal with sauteed apples, cinnamon, and walnuts. I'm eating a chickpea salad sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch. (The chickpea salad does have non-vegan mayo, because I happened to have some when I made it earlier in the week. The key thing for me here is NO CHEESE! Mayo is easily replaceable.)

I also went to Whole Foods today and bought a bunch of supplies, including white miso (which Isa uses in a lot of recipes), chocolate almond milk, Whole Soy soy yogurt, Just Mayo, Tofurkey Tempeh bacon, quinoa, and Vegan Gourmet cream cheese. There also happens to be a book store next to my Whole Foods, so I bought Thug Kitchen, Vegan with a Vengeance, and a stack of David Foster Wallace books (ok, these have nothing to do with my veganism project.)

Sorry for the long read! Wish me luck!
Off topic: Dormouse!! It's good to see you again!!

On topic: Daiya is your friend, as is nooch (nutritional yeast). A cookbook I finally bought was Miyoko Scrinner's Artisan Vegan Cheese, too. Haven't made anything from it, yet, but I will. Good to see you again and please don't be a stranger around here.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 04-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Update on my vegan mission! I was doing so, so well for the first ten days. I didn't even miss dairy, and I was feeling very confident about everything. I cooked so much delicious food and was amazed at how easy everything was.

Last night I had my first real cravings...luckily the only cheese that we still have in the house is a small hunk of old parmesan, so I didn't give in to it. It's strange to me that it took this long for me to have any negative feelings about the transition at all. I don't know what specifically I was craving...I think it's the salty creaminess, and the idea of an avocado sounded gross because I had already eaten 3/4 of an avocado yesterday.

It's still kind of lingering today. I went to Whole Foods, and I didn't feel as awesome strolling through the dairy aisle. I didn't give in though, and I got some Daiya, cheeze-flavored kale chips, hummus, and another variety of local vegan cheddar spread that looks good. I came home and ate a big bowl of pasta with white beans and roasted eggplant, so at least I'm full now.

This weekend I'm going on a trip with my family to the mountains. I haven't really dealt with the social aspect of veganism yet. The only time I went out to dinner was with my boyfriend to a vegan restaurant, so there was no challenge. Luckily, my family is accommodating, and we are going to a very vegetarian-friendly town (Asheville, NC). Because it's my birthday, they're all on board to go to a vegetarian restaurant there that has some good vegan options (don't want to take them to the all-vegan restaurant in case they don't like it. But check this place out--definitely going to go there some other time: http://plantisfood.com/menu/).

I was so pleased with how well everything was going and how easy it was! I don't know what happened!
Tom, Capstan, River and 1 others like this.
#13 Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
Update on my vegan mission! I was doing so, so well for the first ten days. I didn't even miss dairy, and I was feeling very confident about everything. I cooked so much delicious food and was amazed at how easy everything was.

Last night I had my first real cravings...luckily the only cheese that we still have in the house is a small hunk of old parmesan, so I didn't give in to it. It's strange to me that it took this long for me to have any negative feelings about the transition at all. I don't know what specifically I was craving...I think it's the salty creaminess, and the idea of an avocado sounded gross because I had already eaten 3/4 of an avocado yesterday.

It's still kind of lingering today. I went to Whole Foods, and I didn't feel as awesome strolling through the dairy aisle. I didn't give in though, and I got some Daiya, cheeze-flavored kale chips, hummus, and another variety of local vegan cheddar spread that looks good. I came home and ate a big bowl of pasta with white beans and roasted eggplant, so at least I'm full now.

This weekend I'm going on a trip with my family to the mountains. I haven't really dealt with the social aspect of veganism yet. The only time I went out to dinner was with my boyfriend to a vegan restaurant, so there was no challenge. Luckily, my family is accommodating, and we are going to a very vegetarian-friendly town (Asheville, NC). Because it's my birthday, they're all on board to go to a vegetarian restaurant there that has some good vegan options (don't want to take them to the all-vegan restaurant in case they don't like it. But check this place out--definitely going to go there some other time: http://plantisfood.com/menu/).

I was so pleased with how well everything was going and how easy it was! I don't know what happened!
Happy birthday and have a great time. I'm glad the transition is working out for you.
Tom likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Impeach the gangster

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, dormouse!!!!
Tom and Purp like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#15 Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Ankle Biter

There are gobs of wonderful vegan options in Asheville. Have a blast! And stop being so accommodating. It's your birthday! You get to be the boss!
Tom and Purp like this.
#16 Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Happy birthday dormouse!
Tom likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 04-06-2015, 05:56 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Dormouse -

You are not alone. My main hang up that prevented my vegan decision was cheese!!!!

I finally realized that cheese consumption was causing animal abuse, so I quit eating it, and became vegan. Every time I had some cheese, I started seeing a poor cow......hooked up to a milking machine.....enduring pain & suffering, so I could have a slice of pizza.

I have been began just over a year, and hated all the vegan cheese out there. I gave up hope, until last week. Field Roast has a cheese that's delightful. It was a lot better tasting than the other brands, and I am thrilled to have found it.

GOOD LUCK on your journey.
Tom likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#18 Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

One day at a time Dormouse! It gets easier as you go. There's a cheese sauce recipe, very easy to make and health, on my site if you want to check it out. It might help with the cravings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	7962  

EatPlant-Based.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page