• 2 Post By Cyclone T
  • 2 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Jhawn55
  • 1 Post By erilol
  • 1 Post By veggorules
  • 1 Post By Vidal Pierre

#1 Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Vegan

Question How long did it take you to be Vegan?

After you decided you wanted to be Vegan how long did it take you to transition completely?
I am starting full tilt on Friday we are paid tomorrow and my hubby is buying food for me. Right now my breakfast and lunch is Vegan.

I have ED issues and not allowing this to be a diet I start on Monday etc so Friday I am celebrating the Solstice by doing the best thing for me and the animals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I did it over night, but many people take longer.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Ankle Biter

Good luck! I too, went vegan (from vegetarian) overnight - but I'd been coming up with excuses for a few months - like I'd still have to cook with dairy and eggs for the family and it would be far too socially awkward, etc. But once I made the decision to go fully vegan, I realized that it was the right decision for me and have never looked back. All the other issues worked out with time and I'll be celebrating 10 years in July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Steps View Post
After you decided you wanted to be Vegan how long did it take you to transition completely?
I am starting full tilt on Friday we are paid tomorrow and my hubby is buying food for me. Right now my breakfast and lunch is Vegan.

I have ED issues and not allowing this to be a diet I start on Monday etc so Friday I am celebrating the Solstice by doing the best thing for me and the animals
Immediately!

But if people can't manage this, please do not be put off...Some people may need to take a little longer and that's OK as long as they get there in the end
Grace Steps and Jhawn55 like this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#5 Old 03-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Vegan since 1991

I went lacto-ovo vegetarian overnight, and then transitioned to vegan over the next 9 months or so.
Grace Steps and Jhawn55 like this.
#6 Old 03-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Vegan since 1991

Happy Spring Solstice!

#7 Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Impeach the gangster

Happy Spring!

I had been vegetarian for several years before going vegan. I thought it over for a couple of months, then took the plunge, and had no problems doing it. It was much harder for me to go vegetarian in the first place.
Purp and Grace Steps like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Grace!

I first learned about veganism by accident as an omnivore in November 2010 when in a period of recovery from an eating disorder and thinking about world hunger and how I could help. I spent a few months researching and learning about this movement and felt it really aligned with everything I believed in. The ethical arguments were very convincing. In late February 2011 I finally made the decision to go full vegan from omnivore. I picked a date and just did it. It took me a week to wean off Greek yogurt as that was the only hard food for me to give up lol. I already had a terrible intolerance to cheese and most other dairy (had been drinking plant milks for years already) and I had not been much of a meat eater so it was not hard. I used to eat a lot of fish for the omega 3s and bone health (I have a low bone density from my ED) so that was a concern so I started right off the bat taking a vegan DHA supplement and incorporating ground flaxseed and leafy greens in my daily diet. I also concentrated on all the foods I was already eating that were naturally vegan and built up a repertoire from there. It was never a "diet" for me, it was and is a lifestyle, and I worked hard to make sure I was getting enough nutrition and so on. At first I did drop some weight very quickly as there is a learning curve and I did not want to lose weight (I actually needed to put some on then) so I had to work harder to eat to put the weight back on. Once I really learned all that I could eat as a vegan it wasn't too hard. Food was the easy part.

It wasn't hard to get rid of household items that I was no longer comfortable using. I donated belts, shoes etc to second hand stores and churches. I brought old cleaning agents and hairspray etc to the city waste management facility. They had a room with shelves that you could drop off items like these and exchange for other items if you wanted so they didn't go to waste or into a landfill. I had wanted to get rid of harsh chemicals like Windex and hairspray etc for a long time and live more naturally and minimally impact the environment so this was a great excuse to do that.

The social aspect was much harder. I learned quickly that people have a lot of assumptions and stereotypes about vegans. My family was concenred due to my ED history and I lived with an omnivore partner so it took a very long time for him to adjust and for us to find a way to live with our differences. I am the breadwinner and cook (he is on disability) and will not buy or support the use of animals but I have made vegan versions of dishes he loves and we have made it work. He now eats mostly vegetarian at home and we have separate cupboards and dishes etc. It took me about two months before I could confidently share that I was vegan with people at work. I used to call myself vegetarian at first because it was more socially acceptable. But that wasn't me. As I learned more and became confident in my lifestyle, I stopped being afraid to call myself a vegan when the subject came up. I had always been active and my energy and stamina increased two fold, and I made awesome vegan dishes for family and they came around. My sister has now been vegan for two years and my Mom is mostly vegetarian/pescetarian. My Dad stopped using dairy altogether and most meat except fish. I also got healthier and gained to a healthy weight and have stayed there over a year as a vegan now. I did have a relapse in 2013 but for me my ED was not really about dieting and wanting to impress anyone with my thinness. It was a very difficult period for me as I was in school and juggling work and caring for a disabled husband with an immune deficiency who had just acquired rhuematoid arthritis on top of it and was in and out of hospitals. I remember studying for hours in hospital waiting rooms and surgery suites while waiting for my husband. Nevertheless I stayed vegan and eventually made a huge recovery as a vegan and have come further in my ED recovery than I did in the many years prior. It is possible to be vegan even with an ED. I try to keep those things separate because I don't want my veganism to become too intertwined with my ED, but it can cross into that realm if I obsess too much about macronutrients and vegan food. It's a little easier and less triggering now that I have a much better handle and years of experience as to what I need to eat as a vegan to be healthy and what works for me compared to in the beginning when I thought about food ALL THE TIME.

I wish you the best in your journey! If you have any struggles or concerns, don't hesitate to ask questions. No one is going to judge you here. We all started from somewhere.
Grace Steps likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I am so inspired by all of you "overnight" vegans!
#10 Old 03-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Impeach the gangster

Very glad to see you back, dormouse!
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#11 Old 03-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

For me it wasn't overnight at all, it was a transition that started in my teens and went back and forth until my forties.
When I did make the final decision, it was months of a learning curve until I felt it was natural, and as varied and then more varied as when omni
#12 Old 03-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
For me it wasn't overnight at all, it was a transition that started in my teens and went back and forth until my forties.
When I did make the final decision, it was months of a learning curve until I felt it was natural, and as varied and then more varied as when omni
I am taking longer i should but, I should be great as this is salad season and fresh fruit and veggies season .... I am still studying also....
#13 Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
I am so inspired by all of you "overnight" vegans!
Me, too. It took a lot longer then I care to admit on a message board geared towards veg*nism, it took years of "vegetarianism" (yes, I cheated) until a younger family member had to be tested for food allergies, and a couple of the things she couldn't have were eggs and dairy. I'm the dessert maker in the family, and no way was I going to tell a 5 year old, "Sorry, you can't have dessert, not because you misbehaved, but because you might be allergic." So I did several things, including joining this message board, and then her aunt and uncle from Texas and Virginia moved here, and they are vegan. Of all the ways to handle it, I thought all vegan food would be a good thing (can't mix it up with non vegan food, won't have people eating carrot sticks while everyone else had a delicious filling meal, and most certainly was NOT going to lie about it, either)--I read a lot of cookbooks, and health and nutrition books (The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition, for example), then had a few health scares with my parents (Dad-stents in heart, mom, pacemaker in heart, Dad, pre-diabetes)...Needless to say, fear is an amazing motivator.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Vegan

Thanks everyone what great stories

I am on day 7 so its been a full week and its like riding a bike for me. I do need to vary my food more right now I am getting stuck on a few faves which are starting to lose the appeal but I have lots of ideas for this coming weekend and will be going out to a Indian restaurant with the most amazing vegan choices mmmmm.

This will also mark the first time hanging out with a friend and being vegan which should prove interesting.
Grace
Purp and LedBoots like this.

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men. ~ Alice Walker
#15 Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM

Immediately!!

I couldn't believe what I stumbled upon on my venture to be healthier. I was an animal lover - I THOUGHT. What's funny is I had just made a huge pot of split pea soup w/ no animal broth or fat just liquid smoke. I ate that for the next few days until I could figure out what to make lol.

I had a Beta fish given to me once when my dog died & I wanted him to be so happy. I found out so many sad things about them & how they're basically trapped in a cup most of their lives until someone buys them or they die. I even signed a petition for Walmart to stop selling them ( they did here!!! ). I had no AC in my room in South,GA during the dead summer 100 degree weather so my fish could be so happy... and OH boy was he lol. I woke up every morning with bubbles.

There are so many of us out there that are so disconnected, I am so sorry I was for so long..

I've been vegan since October 3rd 2014 when I stumbled across a video of the way pigs were kept at a smithfield farm. I had JUST bought a big pack of porkchops from them. I was insanely crazed for 3 days screaming at my family. I was just so mad at my self for cooking it and not realizing !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by concealed_beauty; 03-27-2015 at 09:30 AM.
#16 Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Overnight after watching Earthlings.
River and Purp like this.
#17 Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I was vegetarian for 6 years, almost vegan for 2 years (no meat, eggs or dairy but I lived in a country where additives were not always listed on foods or the labels were in Arabic) but the day I landed in an English speaking country again I was immediately vegan.

Best of luck with your transition!
Purp and Vegan Dave like this.
#18 Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 AM
No flesh since 99'

I went lacto-ovo vegetarian overnight. I was vegetarian for 16 years and stopped dairy/eggs overnight last summer. I decided I might as well go all the way vegan and finished the honey I had left (so over about 2 weeks from the time I stopped eggs/dairy). Took a few months after that to transition to a high-raw diet (about 80-90% raw foods).
Purp and Vegan Dave like this.
#19 Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I went both vegetarian and vegan overnight.

Different people might have a different time frame, and that's OK.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Last edited by Vegan Dave; 03-31-2015 at 03:41 PM.
#20 Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Banned

I went Vegan in a night, for 6 months solid, strict, however I've lapsed, at times willingly.

I'd say that it's a learning curve that can take a while to become accustomed to, the new food/lifestyle being out somewhere and not knowing where or what you can eat. Most importantly - it's not a race, don't starve yourself or screw up your life if you are struggling, do the sensible thing and then prepare for your next assault, this time armed with the solution to your previous problem - Research what you should be covering with your diet, look for recipe's, experiment, have plenty of fruit and veg around, check labels, if you don't feel right ask if you've covered all the nutrients you need, etc. etc. Ask for help as you are doing already.

If you put too much pressure on yourself you could spend a lot of time hungry and miserable in your early days. Better to have a flawed journey to success than a perfectly failed one.
#21 Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 PM

Transitioning to Vegan

Transitioning to being a vegetarian was overnight.
Transitioning to being a vegan is much slower because I like cheese and pizza so much. Vegan one day at a time really helps me, and it's working. Also, keeping pics of the abuse inflicted on dairy cows and their babies is extremely motivating. That has to stop! I keep the pics on my iPad so I can look at them and not kid myself about the abuse. I was a good friend with a dairy farmer who denied the abuse, but it can no longer be denied.
Purp likes this.
#22 Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 PM

By my 21st birthday I had committed to vegetarianism. Less than a week later I said screw it and went full vegan. Never looked back since. The cheese curds cravings (I'm from WI) died real fast, which apparently isn't the case for everyone.
Purp likes this.
#23 Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 PM

Awesome going vegan!

What I have learned over the years is that every single person is different. Some go from omnivore to vegan overnight (whew! that would be hard to do), but most go from vegetarian to vegan. Some take longer than others and gently ween themselves off the animals, others just jump right over without a problem.
What I like to teach those wanting to go vegan is that it is a way of life, not just a way of eating. Veganism encompasses the health of not only the animals, but the planet and the person.
For me .... it was a little slower, not the "one day I'm not next day I am" and my issue were eggs. So vegetarian to vegan and it was because I continued to educate myself (and still do.)

It was brilliant to read that the Federal US government had a draft health report saying that going vegan was the best diet for the planet .... hahaha - you can imagine the outcry that happened when that came out!!!!
Capstan likes this.
#24 Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Well I decided to go on a predominately Vegan within a few days I went through periods of ''I will just eat Organic meat then'' until I decided I will cut out Animal products in my diet. I still have the odd product (normally at Family/Friends house) that contains Animal products until I get more will power to say ''NO!''

I won't be completely Vegan until next year I'm 94% Vegan.
River likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page