• 8 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 4 Post By Mojo
  • 5 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By Grace Steps
  • 3 Post By Capstan

#1 Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Vegan

Any ex ex Vegans here?

In 2011-2012 I was Vegan or 10 months and it was amazing. I went from omni straight to vegan and I have lactose issues which meant about 2 weeks of a mucus detox cold thing and even that was ok because I knew I was doing the right thing ethically and even with being sick I felt better then I had in years. After about 8 months my partner purposed to me and then a week later my father who lives on the other side of the country was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and at about the 3 trip to visit him and my family I became Omni again. It was a harsh time and yes it was not the ethical right decision but I made it. I grieved and planned my wedding.

Now its 2015 and I am ready again. I know what to eat and have all my books movies pod casts still the only thing I am worried about is other people. Family, friends and vegans being mean to me about coming back to veganism Or not taking me seriously. These are petty issues I know but I am still feeling them and would like to know how others dealt with it coming back to Veganism.

Grace
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 AM

I usually just don't bring up my veganism if no one else does. The "meanness" doesn't last very long and anyways. You'll probably get a couple of the classic one-liners and then it'll be over. Maybe if you're lucky you'll get some good questions and have the chance to mold some open minds.
#3 Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up

Haters zijn gewoon praters. It means haters are just talkers. Mean naggy people will allways be there. Do not mind or worry about them is my advise. Just tell them why you took a break in being Vegan. I think most will understand. And if they do not understand, then its too bad for them.*hug*
Purp and Grace Steps like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I'm an ex-ex vegan many times over. I guess I sort of eased into it the hurky-jerky way. Eggs were out by 92 (except in baked goods, like muffins and cake from others, which I consumed for another decade or so). I ate dairy, but I never really cooked with it. I went through long periods where I didn't eat it at all. My cooking was pretty much vegan from the start, but I didn't choose only vegan restaurant and convenience foods (for more than those months long vegan periods) until 2009.

Most of the vegetarians I knew IRL were ethical vegetarians but not vegan. We admired vegans and ate a mostly vegan diets but shied away from full-on veganism for various reasons. The unfortunate "it's easy, you must have a personal flaw" vegan narrative is fairly new. My response is basically the "walk a mile in my shoes" saying. People can't predict how they would react in a hypothetical situation until they are actually IN that situation. No apologies necessary.
Purp, Windigo, LedBoots and 5 others like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Give peas a chance

In the beginning I would just say "I am trying veganism for these reasons..... I'm not sure how long I might stick with it. It might only be a couple days or a couple weeks, but I've wanted to try it for a while and now I'm giving it a go." Then, much later, when I didn't have any doubts about whether I could maintain, I started saying "I am vegan."

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 03-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Veganism has been very much like quitting smoking for me: on again, off again for many years until one day it just stuck. I wish that had happened sooner, but I don't feel any shame over it. I'm just glad I ended up on the non-smoking vegan side eventually!
silva, Purp, Cyclone T and 2 others like this.
#7 Old 03-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Vegan

Thanks so much I love all your stories and advice super helpful.
Purp and no whey jose like this.

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men. ~ Alice Walker
#8 Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Impeach the gangster

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page