4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dreamling
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By VeggieMonsta
  • 1 Post By BiteSizeVegan

#1 Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 AM

Red face Thinking about vegan, but I need your help

Hi everyone!

I am currently really interested in going vegan (I am vegetarian right now). I've been looking into it lately, mostly online through social media, and started trying to cut things out of my diet.

I was wondering though, for those of you who are vegan, would you be able to point me to your top two or three sources of inspiration for why you became one? I mean in the sense of books and documentaries that is. I want to do more research and am looking for some good, credible sources. Any suggestions?
VeggieMonsta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM

Red face

Top sources-

Forks over Knives documentary

Food Inc. documentary

The phrase- "eat to live, don't live to eat"

Good luck in your journey
#3 Old 03-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak123 View Post
Top sources-

Forks over Knives documentary

Food Inc. documentary

The phrase- "eat to live, don't live to eat"

Good luck in your journey
Oh, thank you! I will check those out. That is a good quote, I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Lovable misanthrope

My reasons for becoming vegan are purely ethical so I've not been reading health and diet books but been following my heart and common sense. What is it that you are after? Nutrition and diet advice? Or something else?

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#5 Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
My reasons for becoming vegan are purely ethical so I've not been reading health and diet books but been following my heart and common sense. What is it that you are after? Nutrition and diet advice? Or something else?
Hi! That makes sense. Have you read any books or seen any documentaries that have taught you more about the ethical side of veganism and led you to your decision? I am looking for motivation and reasons to back up my own decision. I want to learn more!
#6 Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Ok in that case have you seen Earthlings? Or If slaughterhouses had glass walls? Or Gary Yourofsky best speech ever? Also check out vegan athletes like Tim Shieff for inspiration. I found "Living cruelty free" book easy to read and very helpful. Vegan celebrities can be very inspiring. After learning about some of the facts on factory farming I found that desire not to harm and not to take part in that anymore was very overwhelming.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#7 Old 03-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Ok in that case have you seen Earthlings? Or If slaughterhouses had glass walls? Or Gary Yourofsky best speech ever? Also check out vegan athletes like Tim Shieff for inspiration. I found "Living cruelty free" book easy to read and very helpful. Vegan celebrities can be very inspiring. After learning about some of the facts on factory farming I found that desire not to harm and not to take part in that anymore was very overwhelming.
Oh this is very helpful, thank you for your answer! I will check these out for sure.
#8 Old 03-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Books:
Comfortably Unaware by Richard Oppenlander
Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz
Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows by Melanie Joy
Farm Sanctuary by Gene Bauer

Documentaries:
Earthlings
Meet your Meat
#9 Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

What everybody else said......

I could no longer exploit animals for their resources.....milk, butter, cheese, etc.

That led to cruelty, just short of death. But then death was just around the corner.

Pretty simple.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 03-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

"The Sexual Politics of Meat" by Carol Adams
"The Dominion of Love" by Norm Phelps
"Animals as Persons: Essays on the Abolition of Animal Exploitation" by Gary Francione
"Eat and Run" by ultramarathoner (and vegan ) Scott Jurek
"Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer
"Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" by Erik Marcus
"Sistah Vegan: Black Female Vegans Speak on Food, Identity, Health, and Society" By Breeze Harper

For nutrition:
"Becoming Vegan: The Complete Reference to Plant Based Nutrition" By Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina
"The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell

Some great websites:
The Humane Myth http://www.humanemyth.org/
Vegan Outreach http://veganoutreach.org/

And recipe sites!
http://www.vegweb.com/recipes
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/

Honestly, I first really heard about veganism in 2010 when I read a totally nonvegan book called "The Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollin. He argues against some vegan ideals but introduces the reader to Peter Singer and a few other vegan activists and ideologies. Those ideologies clicked so powerfully with me that I felt like I had come home to who I really am meant to be. The reason I read the book was because I had begun to explore world hunger and how to help feed others. It was a way to give back after recovering from a nasty bout of anorexia myself, and get outside of my own head. And maybe to make peace with food. Little did I know where it would lead me! I read all the books I mentioned above because I wanted to learn about veganism from every possible angle...religious (the Dominion of Love), feminist, cultural...I DEVOURED every book I could find on ethics at the library. I asked myself all the hard questions, such as feeding your pet animal food, or the need for B12 etc. But every answer lead me back to veganism as the right one. I went vegan overnight in February 2011 and never looked back. I still feel it's the right choice. And I feel strongly that it is the absolute best choice for sustaining a growing world in terms of food security and abundance.
leedsveg likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirchoff888 View Post
Books:
Comfortably Unaware by Richard Oppenlander
Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz
Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows by Melanie Joy
Farm Sanctuary by Gene Bauer

Documentaries:
Earthlings
Meet your Meat
Oh this is great! I'm grateful for the book suggestions especially, thank you!
#12 Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
What everybody else said......

I could no longer exploit animals for their resources.....milk, butter, cheese, etc.

That led to cruelty, just short of death. But then death was just around the corner.

Pretty simple.
That makes sense.. and I completely agree. The things they go through because of humans are horrible.
#13 Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
"The Sexual Politics of Meat" by Carol Adams
"The Dominion of Love" by Norm Phelps
"Animals as Persons: Essays on the Abolition of Animal Exploitation" by Gary Francione
"Eat and Run" by ultramarathoner (and vegan ) Scott Jurek
"Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer
"Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" by Erik Marcus
"Sistah Vegan: Black Female Vegans Speak on Food, Identity, Health, and Society" By Breeze Harper

For nutrition:
"Becoming Vegan: The Complete Reference to Plant Based Nutrition" By Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina
"The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell

Some great websites:
The Humane Myth http://www.humanemyth.org/
Vegan Outreach http://veganoutreach.org/

And recipe sites!
http://www.vegweb.com/recipes
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/

Honestly, I first really heard about veganism in 2010 when I read a totally nonvegan book called "The Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollin. He argues against some vegan ideals but introduces the reader to Peter Singer and a few other vegan activists and ideologies. Those ideologies clicked so powerfully with me that I felt like I had come home to who I really am meant to be. The reason I read the book was because I had begun to explore world hunger and how to help feed others. It was a way to give back after recovering from a nasty bout of anorexia myself, and get outside of my own head. And maybe to make peace with food. Little did I know where it would lead me! I read all the books I mentioned above because I wanted to learn about veganism from every possible angle...religious (the Dominion of Love), feminist, cultural...I DEVOURED every book I could find on ethics at the library. I asked myself all the hard questions, such as feeding your pet animal food, or the need for B12 etc. But every answer lead me back to veganism as the right one. I went vegan overnight in February 2011 and never looked back. I still feel it's the right choice. And I feel strongly that it is the absolute best choice for sustaining a growing world in terms of food security and abundance.
Wow, this is so comprehensive! Thank you! I'm glad to see you mention Singer. I've also been reading some of his writings recently, along with some other philosophers. I also want to learn about veganism from as many angles as possible, and I think it is awesome that you've done so. Thanks for sharing your resources with me. I will check them out for sure!
#14 Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamling View Post
Hi everyone!

I am currently really interested in going vegan (I am vegetarian right now). I've been looking into it lately, mostly online through social media, and started trying to cut things out of my diet.

I was wondering though, for those of you who are vegan, would you be able to point me to your top two or three sources of inspiration for why you became one? I mean in the sense of books and documentaries that is. I want to do more research and am looking for some good, credible sources. Any suggestions?
I am transitioning from vegetarianism to veganism, as well. My journey is perhaps different from most. I don't have a big archive or bookshelf of documented facts and resources regarding the pros of veganism, but rather, I just felt in my gut that this was the right choice for me. From there, I started reading more blogs etc. for inspiration, and to learn what foods are vegan-safe and what are not. It's been a work in progress for me. If you have tumblr, that is a great place for visual inspiration and personal stories.
LedBoots likes this.
#15 Old 03-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the easiest way is to search YouTube, "why dairy industry is bad" and "why egg industry is bad"
#16 Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 PM

It depends, whether you want religious or non-religious reasons.

For Buddhists, we know taking lives will have bad consequences, all animals have souls, just like us. So killing others, we will be hurt eventually. Animals are born as animals because they were sinful when they were human, but one day they will reborn as human again, or in some cases some will not because they have too much sin. So killing animals mean killing our own siblings, as we are all children of one God. And we will also suffer terrible consequences.

Just look at animal's face, look at their head, eyes, nose, mouth, ear, look very similar to us but they can feel and they will treat you good in the next life time if you treat them good now.
#17 Old 03-07-2015, 03:52 AM

Documentaries:

Earthlings
Cowspiracy

Books:
The China Study - T. Colin Campbell
The Starch Solution - Dr. McDougall

I am also an ethical vegan. I do it for the animal's sake. But right now I am also concerned about the environmental impact of meat, fish and dairy consumption, that is why I pointed out the documentary Cowspiracy.
Good luck on your vegan journey!
#18 Old 03-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Lorax

It's been a work in progress for me

Several years ago when I was still eating meat, I read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, which did an excellent job of reporting on our crazy factory-like system of food production. I struck me as an unsustainable system.

My biggest influence has been simple observation and just waking up to the facts. Our society is numb out of habit. At least in the USA, most of us don't have to run around and forage or kill to keep ourselves from starving. Food is plentiful, and could be even less expensive and more plentiful if our resources were used more wisely. Even pasture-raising dairy cows (and only a minority of dairy cattle actually get to pasture) requires a LOT of land and water when you consider all of the land that's needed to grow grain to feed the millions of cows? Why not use that same land to grow grains and other crops in a sustainable, less destructive way - and feed human beings instead?

What sealed the deal for me were two other influences:
1. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. He was not a vegan, either, and his book refrains from shaming the reader. It just reports the facts.
2. Cowspiracy, a film by Kip Andersen & Keegan Kuhn. I wish that the film did not have such a sensational title, because it contains valuable, well-documented information.
#19 Old 03-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I really like Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. She has a website...books, podcasts & a youtube channel as well.

http://www.joyfulvegan.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/simonschuster

She has a very easy style about her & I love her simple explanations to questions/comments that vegans come across with people, issues new vegans might have, etc.
She's currently promoting her "The 30 Day Vegan Challenge" book. I don't own any of her books though so I can't really offer advice on them.
I mostly listen to her podcasts & watch her videos.

Good Luck to you on your journey.

(A Personal Note about "Earthlings") I could not watch it. I don't do well with such graphic violence personally.
I think there are tons of other videos/websites/books out there that gets the same message across without all the violence.
I know alot of people have gone vegan after watching it but it was a total no-no for me. I just wanted to add another view point on it.
#20 Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 AM

Whittled down to two

Hi Dreamling,

In my view, there are so many inspirational films and books...it's hard to narrow down the list actually...but I will to 1 film and 1 book. The film can be seen free, it is called "The Witness" (by Tribe of Heart). Here's the link:

Tribe of Heart is a grass roots organization that is a must-visit-their-website organization to fully be able to appreciate the scope of their work. www.TribeofHeart.org is that website.

The book I am strongly recommending is a brand new book of true stories from real people around the world. The book title is: Turning Points in Compassion and the main page for the book and where you can read 1 chapter for free is: http://www.turningpointsincompassion.info/

You can purchase the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Points.../dp/0987192965

Keep us updated on your journey / progress and what you've found most inspirational.

Warmly,
Louie Gedo

Last edited by Sexy_Vegan; 03-07-2015 at 09:09 AM.
#21 Old 03-07-2015, 04:47 PM

I'd like to add the following amazing book -

The World Peace Diet
by Dr. Will Tuttle

http://www.worldpeacediet.com/

Take care,
Pamela
#22 Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM

Dreamling,
I am a graduate of Cornell University's Plant-Based Nutrition program. I highly (!) recommend my book, Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet (available on Amazon). I promise it will change your life in only positive ways.
All the best on your path to a gentler, greener lifestyle.
Jeannie Hudkins
#23 Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 PM

I decided to become vegan without reading/watching anything in particular, on the basis that consumption of any animal product/ingredient ultimately leads to the death of animals for our gain or pleasure and I came to the conclusion that was unnecessary. I have watched and read a few things since - Forks over Knives, Food Inc etc - but more from interest than any need to convince myself that I am doing the right thing.

I am more interested in the 'how' rather than the 'why' and like Colleen Patrick-Goudreau for that. I also like some of the BiteSize Vegan videos (she is on this forum!) although some are still a little more graphic than I want/need to see and are more suited to those who need to be convinced of the why.
#24 Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 PM

Red face Inspiration

My greatest inspiration for becoming and remaining a vegan is Robert Cohen. Check out his website http://www.notmilk.com and read every word. He is an author of books on going vegan also. Check them out at your library. Good Luck to you!!! It really is easy once you have your "WHY."
#25 Old 03-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

the Gary Yourofsky speech is really inspirational:
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:

Facebook:

Tags
books , documentaries , inspiration , reason , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page