Joining scientific stdies on going vegan and juice fasting - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tweety
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan

#1 Old 02-03-2015, 02:21 PM

Joining scientific stdies on going vegan and juice fasting

Hi All. I am planning to do a juice fast followed by a transition to vegan diet. One thing that disappoints me is the lack of scientific studies on the health effects of these to topics. I would like to help by volunteering/participating in a study on juice fasting and/or veganism. However, I have scoured google and cannot find any. Does anyone have suggestions on how to help scientifically document the benefits by participating in a study? Or a place to find those studies before I make the change?

Thanks,
Boz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

That's probably because most of the evidence out there about juice fasting is anecdotal...i.e. lots people saying how great the feel afterwards. There is no science out there about the "detoxing effects of juicing" or "health benefits of a juice fast" because that probably isn't true.

Weight loss, healing of illnesses like diabetes and high blood pressure don't result from the fast itself but from the lifestyle change from standard American diet or whatever diet to a healthier whole foods one. The same results could be had from eating fresh raw foods...or going strict vegan.

Good luck in finding a study. Perhaps it is really needed. Sorry I've been no help.
#3 Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Vegan as f**k

By "juice fast" I assume you mean you will only be consuming juice for sustenance...Please don't do this for too long and only attempt it in the first place if your BMI is above 30...Just be careful that's all...

Good luck with your transition to veganism
David3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 PM

The other day I spoke with a vegan dietition on the phone for 2 hours who was extremely helpful. Juicing was one of the things we talked about, he said that there are no real studies on juices being particulary beneficial, an fact all the fiber of the produce is lost along with much of the phytonutrients attached to the fiber. He told me it was best to just eat whole fruits and veggies. In terms of participating in a study look into local medical schools maybe one with a nutrition program, often times you can even get paid for such things. Veganism may not be a hot topic though, nutritional studies are often funded by the meat and dairy industries so that students are taught that they are a necessary part of our diet. But keep looking it's possible.

Last edited by veganeevi; 02-03-2015 at 08:52 PM.
#5 Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM

Thanks so far everyone. Hopefully I'll find one. I'd love to help get this out of the anecdotal and into the mainstream science arena. I think many more people would try both juicing and veganism then.
#6 Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Boz,

Mainstream health organizations have stated that properly-planned vegan diets are healthy. Please consider these statements:

The American Diabetes Association makes this statement regarding vegetarian and vegan diets:

“A vegetarian diet is a healthy option, even if you have diabetes. Research supports that following this type of diet can help prevent and manage diabetes. In fact, research on vegan diets has found that carbohydrate restrictions were not necessary and still promoted weight loss and lowered participants' A1C”
Link to this statement: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...r-vegetarians/

The American Heart Association makes this statement regarding the health of vegetarians:

“Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.”
Link to this statement: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/Vegetarian-Diets_UCM_306032_Article.jsp#

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) makes the following statement regarding plant-based diets:

"Research shows that plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that may lower body mass index, blood pressure, HbA1C, and cholesterol levels. They may also reduce the number of medications needed to treat chronic diseases and lower ischemic heart disease mortality rates. Physicians should consider recommending a plant-based diet to all their patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or obesity.”
Link to this statement: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page