• 1 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By shellalee
  • 1 Post By River
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave

#1 Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Advice.

Hi there,

I have decided that I am going vegan as of January 1st 2015. I am pretty excited to start this new chapter in my life and was wondering if any one could recommend any good articles or books for me to read. I still live with my mom (will be moving out in a couple months or so) and she thinks I am taking my diet a little bit too far.
She wanted me to read this article:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1668819/ex-...protein-power/

Basically this guy turns back to eating meat and says that being vegan isn't a good diet.
Therefor my mother is a little bit worried.

Are there any good arguments that I can bring up to defend being a vegan?

If you could just throw some titles of some books and names of articles it would be really helpful.

I have an amazing boyfriend who supports me through this - even though he isn't vegetarian...so I am not completely alone on this journey :3
Purp likes this.

Michelle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
The China Study

Movies:
Forks Over Knives
Vegucated
Food Inc.

People, or rather, Westerners eat WAY more protein than they need. WAY more. B12 is the ONLY nutrient you cannot get though whole foods veganism, but most nut milks are fortified with it, faux meats as well. Or you can supplement.

If she is going to take that anecdotal story seriously, you can show her Veggieboards. We have lots of members who have been Plant Strong for decades.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Also see this blog:
http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/20...nce-birth.html

And anybook by John Robbins! He is the heir to the Baskin Robbins fortune--which should certainly be a clue as to how vested he "should" be in dairy, but has seen enough first hand to be against it.
River likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I would let things roll off of you and not get too defensive. Just say something like "well having your chest carved open and having open heart surgery is going a bit too far also.

Good luck to you. As you stay vegan and enjoy robust health and well being, it's just going to become a part of you and you won't feel the need to defend yourself.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 12-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

These are physcians, and there are good studies on the site, too. Lots of pdf downloads. http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/pc...rm.org%2F#2731

And this is good information for your vegsn transition:
http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/index.cfm
Purp and shellalee like this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 12-20-2014 at 12:41 PM.
#6 Old 12-20-2014, 01:28 PM
V for Vegan

#7 Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you should use that article as something to say being vegan is bad for health. First of all, most of the evidence to say it is bad is “I just didn’t feel good or healthy”

The strongest argument I could find was this which is given in the context of weight loss,
“It’s hard being a vegan to eat enough good, quality protein and not have too much starch. I know a lot of fat vegans,” said Dr. Hyman

However that statement is only true if you know nothing about nutrition. It's very easy to get enough protein and still come way below your daily calorie requirements. But you don't need to believe me, you can look at the evidence yourself.

Go to chronometer
Add lentils, chickpeas, pasta, nuts, beans, and even things like oats and you will see the protein % intake overtake the calorie intake every time. Those are the calorie dense foods too.

Try adding in brocoli, tomatoes, etc and you will find even then that the % protein overtakes the calories you consume. Not that I personally want to eat 1700g of broccoli to get 48g of protein but I mean you could. And it would only be 578 calories and you would be stuffed, assuming you could even manage to eat that much. Not only that but you would get all of the vitamins and such in the broccoli which is far far more than 185g of a t-bone steak(almost the same protein amount).

Anyways the best argument is simply knowing what you need, what you don't want, and knowing what foods have what. It's not even an argument, it's simply getting what you need to be healthy. Chronometer makes it pretty easy and while it's not 100% complete it will offer you far more info than 99% of people know and you are certainly better off with it than without.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the time and effort for your replies/advice.
God Bless You <3
Purp likes this.

Michelle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellalee View Post
Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the time and effort for your replies/advice.
God Bless You <3
Let us know how it goes!
Purp likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 12-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

People just aren't accustomed to eating a whole plant based diet. It isn't intuitive for people to think of meals using beans, lentils and all the other high protein foods that for many vegans are the "meat" of their diet. The other thing of course is how different vegan diets are, from being as highly processed and sugar/fat laden as their omnivore counterparts, to raw or fruitarian. The most important thing is that a completely plant based diet can be very easy, affordable, and healthy. It does take time to fully realize that goal. The change is often bigger than it first looks because once you know, the more you find you don't know. My diet is far more varied than when I used meat or cheese.

People still have this idea that vegans eat salads, or the things from the short and expensive grocery aisle labeled organic.
That's why I ingratiate myself in as many food discussions as I hear. I'll give my renditions of any soup, casserole, roast -you name it- made with foods ranging from the all purpose chickpeas, other beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan or nuts.

It amuse me to hear Hymans excuse of knowing many fat vegans. So? Compare that to the far bigger percentile of omnivores that are obese! I've yet to hear any good health solutions that incorporate meat and dairy as their cures
#11 Old 12-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on your decision!

There's plenty of books out there that can make sure you're getting all you need on a vegan diet (I like Becoming Vegetarian- there's a vegan version of it too- and Vegan For Her, they've been wonderful for me!).

But you might not have the time or money to get them right away, so I'd recommend checking out-

http://www.theveganrd.com/

I find it invaluable to helping me answer some of those nutrition questions.

Good luck!
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Google search "American Dietetic Association position on vegan diet" They agree that it is a healthy way to eat and can provide all necessary nutrients at any stage of one's life. Your mother may find comfort in reading that from a professional association dedicated to nutritional studies.

Good luck!!
#13 Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Check out the books and movies that River mentioned.

I thought it was gonna be incredibly hard to go vegan, but it wasn't. There's an "adjustment" in finding new food, but stick with it.......it gets easier every day.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Windigo likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#14 Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Vegan since 1991

You can quickly reassure your mom by showing her these quotes and links from mainstream organizations:

The American Heart Association makes this statement regarding the health of vegetarians:

Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.

Link to this statement: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/Vegetarian-Diets_UCM_306032_Article.jsp#

The American Diabetes Association makes this statement regarding vegetarian diet

“A vegetarian diet is a healthy option, even if you have diabetes. Research supports that following this type of diet can help prevent and manage diabetes. In fact, research on vegan diets has found that carbohydrate restrictions were not necessary and still promoted weight loss and lowered participants' A1C”

Link to this statement: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/meal-planning-for-vegetarians/

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) makes the following statement regarding plant-based diets:

Research shows that plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that may lower body mass index, blood pressure, HbA1C, and cholesterol levels. They may also reduce the number of medications needed to treat chronic diseases and lower ischemic heart disease mortality rates. Physicians should consider recommending a plant-based diet to all their patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or obesity.”

Link to this statement: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Vegetarian diets have really become mainstream. Even the USDA's nutritional guidelines for Americans, and their "ChooseMyPlate" educational materials, fully accommodate vegetarian diets.

USDA's Tip for Vegetarians: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy...egetarian.html

Here is the USDA's ChooseMyPlate home page. It shows the approximate portions of your plate that should be filled with protein-rich foods, whole grains, vegetables and fruits: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/about.html

Last edited by David3; 01-01-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: (Line spacing came out wrong the first time)
#15 Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Vegan as f**k

Hi there! Best of luck with the great change that you are making

Watch Gary Yourofsky's videos and also Bitesize vegan's videos...

As for reading, books on zoology and wildlife in general are pretty inspiring...From a practical perspective the threads on this forum will help start you off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page