Cravings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadow Wolf

#1 Old 12-16-2014, 12:33 PM

Question Cravings

Hi everyone, I would like to ask you all for your advice concerning a craving I have just started to get for eggs.

I have been vegetarian for around a year and over the last 3 or 4 months I have been moving more towards a vegan diet. Although at this point I can not call myself vegan (have a real addiction to chocolate that I need to work on) I have been successful at cutting out all cheese, milk and egg with no problems.

Most of my food is home cooked and I try to have a good variety of different kinds of meals, although I know I still have much to learn about a healthy vegan diet I would not of thought my diet was something to be worried about.

However, all of a sudden I have developed a craving for eggs.I am unsure if this delayed craving is quite normal or if it may be my body's way of telling me I'm not getting enough of some kind of vitamin.

I feel fine within myself, I don't look like I'm lacking something, but I know you can not always tell by looks alone.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice you can offer.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

When I think of eggs, I think of saltiness and fat satiety. Maybe those are what you are craving?

I was two years strict vegan when I suddenly developed a strange craving for eggs. Mind you I was very underweight (for other reasons) and not getting enough fat in my diet at the time. I had thought about reintroducing eggs then as my health was horrible but logically I knew I could get what I needed on a vegan diet and I just couldn't bear supporting such a horrible industry. I started to relax a little more about food and not being so strict with pure whole food. I also found that chickpea flour omelets really hit the spot in place of eggs, and chickpea salad sandwiches really help when you crave egg salad sandwiches. tofu has a texture similar to cooked egg white and works well for scrambled tofu eggs or omelets. It just needs some seasonings like turmeric, garlic powder, black pepper etc. My cravings were intense but only lasted a few weeks and then were gone.

Eggs have omega 3 fatty acids in them. Do you incorporate foods like walnuts, flaxseeds/ground flaxseeds, avocados and so on? Those are rich sources of ALA omega 3s and might help too.

Is it the texture or the taste you crave? Or is it a challenge for you to bake or cook without eggs in a recipe? For me personally I think it was that I needed more fat in my diet. Not a ton, and I still do not use much oil at all, but I started incorporating more nuts/seeds and flaxseeds especially and it helped. Along with the savory chickpea and chickpea flour dishes and tofu. I used to have an intolerance to tofu until I discovered sprouted tofu and could handle that, and now I can handle any form of tofu. Sea vegetables can sometimes provide that saltiness that eggs do also. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a particular food providing comfort memories at a time in your life that is very stressful. This sounds strange, but sometimes when I am really stressed I think of times when my boyfriend and I would wake up late on Saturday mornings and make buttermilk pancakes, whole stacks of them, for breakfast. I don't eat those now but I associate those pancakes with good memories. Just a thought.

Vitamin deficiencies tend to take a long time to develop, but it is not uncommon for new vegans to not eat enough in the beginning. Maybe you are just hungry?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Who doesn't crave something? and way too much and often. Such cravings are going to be there to some extent it is a natural aspect of life. It is a process changing our cravings to better quality substance. You make it sound like the transition for you was a breeze other than this egg craving. Lucky you if that is so. It can be painful for many years for some to refrain from old bad habits. And we all have our little indulgences that we take even though we know it isn't good for us. It is a different substance or substances for every person and as the saying goes - nobody is perfect.
I think you know what is and isn't good for you. And hey you're doing great!
Get into drinking a lot of carrot juice or other really healthy substance for a while, then stop, and you may notice some cravings for it.
That's the idea to develop good habits to replace the bad.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 AM
The prowling wolf

It's always good to make sure you get omega 3 fatty acids, so check how much oil, nuts and such you eat. If those are lacking, add more.

It could also be a sign of low vitamin D, which can be a problem if you leave it too long. It's always wise to take a supplement for that. Try that for a few weeks and see if the craving persists

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#5 Old 12-17-2014, 04:29 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

Naturebound, I have never tried making a vegan omelet so using chickpeas for that could be a good thing for me to try. It is the taste I crave, more so the yoke then then white. Although when I did eat eggs I could only have one, any more would make me feel sick so I don't see eggs as a comfort food. I am finding it difficult to replace eggs in cooking. It something I am still working on. I do use such things like walnuts and flaxseed but thinking about it I could probably do with using more of them and see if that helps.

Enthios, no it has not been a breeze and I did not mean to give that impression. But it is true to say that most of the challenges (not all) I have come across is more to do with learning how to cook a healthy vegan diet then trying to stick to it. I have not tried carrot juice but along with the omelet I will try it for a while.

Windigo, I had not thought of vitamin D, so thank you for pointing that one out to me.
Windigo likes this.
#6 Old 12-17-2014, 04:34 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

Windigo, I had not thought of vitamin D, so thank you for pointing that one out to me.
Yes Vitamin D is something that is also present in Eggs and butter, and if you don't eat those you might lack vit D. It's also found in certain brands of vegan margarine or soy milk; so have a look at that too

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page