Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By melimomTARDIS
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By veggiestez
  • 1 Post By TheHiddenAngel

#1 Old 11-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Veganism and sugar

I've been vegan a month and doing really well. I'm gradually learning more about the extent of animal products in our foods and toiletries and trying very hard to avoid them as much as possible. One thing I'm not sure about is sugar. I read somewhere (here I think) that the sugar we see all the time in shops is not vegan due to the way it's processed. I'm wondering if it applies to ALL sugars i.e cane, granulated, brown sugar etc. And sorry if this sounds completely ignorant, but if it does apply to all sugar, does this mean confectionery such as ordinary sweets (aside from those containing gelatin) are also non vegan?

I'd appreciate any help with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

depends on how hardcore you want to be. Many consider oreos to be vegan.
#3 Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

From what I remember sugar in north america comes from around 50% beets and 50% cane. Beet sugar is never processed with animal bones and only about half of cane is. That means that around 75% of sugar is vegan. Unfortunately labels say sugar almost every time so you don't know what they are using.

Also from what I recall evaporated cane is okay, while inverted is not. Also I think USDA organic sugar cannot use animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Read this:
http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007iss...sue4_sugar.php

True, beet sugar is never processed through bone char, and most bags don't list it as beet sugar. I used to link a more comprehensive list I can't find now. I buy Pioneer Sugar which is beet, but doesn't say on the package.
Organic cane, and evaporated cane juice is always vegan.
Most European countries don't use bone char at all, it's mostly an American thing.

I don't sweat the occasions I'll get cookies like Oreos, or candies, which are vegan other than wondering about the sugar source. I used to be so OCD about things that unless I give myself that leeway I'm more inclined to obsess rather than be true to what really matters.

The more you stay vegan the more you find is vegan! Even fruit "jels" with plant sources instead of gelatin!
River likes this.
#5 Old 12-01-2014, 04:31 AM

Thanks everyone.

I should have mentioned I'm in the UK.

So what you're all saying is that it's individual as to what extent sugar is avoided. I wasn't sure whether the majority of vegans avoid sugar or not.

I don't eat a lot of sugary or processed foods anyhow because I react very badly to them and obviously they;'re not good for anyone. I agree that the focus should be on what really matters.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

I recently found this while shopping, and was very excited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	5425

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#7 Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Veganarchist

If I'm buying sugar then I make sure it's vegan but if sugar happens to be in a food I usually will still buy it (I don't go looking for it but I'm not going to throw a hiss-fit if it happens to be an ingredient).
Bruce V likes this.
#8 Old 12-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

From my understanding if sugar is labeled as "Organic" then bone char is not used in production. As for 'sweets', I always just look for the 'Vegan' label.
#9 Old 12-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Redpath sugar in Canada:
-We do not use animal products or by-products in our refining process for sugar, so Redpath Sugar products are suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans.

So my advice, go to your sugar website and check the faq or send them an email. In no time you'll have a personal list of vegan safe products and won't have to check every darn label in the store lol.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#10 Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Florida Crystals is non-bone char. I think in the UK sugar is vegan, is that right? Like was said above, I don't (can't) source the sugar in processed foods, so i might have an oreo every now and again. OK, 3 oreos every now and again.
#11 Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiestez View Post
Thanks everyone.

I should have mentioned I'm in the UK.

So what you're all saying is that it's individual as to what extent sugar is avoided. I wasn't sure whether the majority of vegans avoid sugar or not.

I don't eat a lot of sugary or processed foods anyhow because I react very badly to them and obviously they;'re not good for anyone. I agree that the focus should be on what really matters.
In the UK, you might not have to worry about it anyway :P

In Australia, the process of using bone char was discontinued back in the 70's. If you're interested in whether your country uses that process, then by all means look it up....

And yeah, it's completely an individual thing. In my way of thinking, if I can support those companies that don't use animals, then I make a point of it. It's a small thing, but I think every bit helps.
#12 Old 12-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Sugar is good as long as it is in it's natural un-altered form. There should be no extraction process to any vegan foods because this affects the equilibrium of nutrients and minerals.

An empty calorie is any food that does not have the proper balance of vital-minerals (vitamins) and minerals.
This is another reason why it isn't recommended to process food using a cooking process.

Plants should be enjoyed the way mother earth intended.

Hope this helps

Always Talk Greens! You will be amazed how much green you can talk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page