• 2 Post By Marjoram
  • 1 Post By steve56616
  • 1 Post By TheHappyBeans
  • 2 Post By a Balloon a Balloon
  • 1 Post By Marjoram
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 AM

Im really struggling!!

Im just past 2 week and really finding it hard now. I feel quite horrible, although cant say I feel unwell. Just tiered and headache.
Im finding shopping so hard as I don't fancy anything I see. I feel Im missing out on all the nice things the rest of the family are eating. Ive never been a lover of fruit and that just doesn't seem to have changed. Veg is ok but cant get excited about a mountain of cabbage or greens. I feel im loosing weight but don't really want to loose any.
I am making some mince pies but had cant find any mincemeat without Glucose fructose Syrup which seems to be an everything. I have always tried to avoid it but now don't seem to have a choice with that now either.
I just hope it gets easier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2014, 05:25 AM

Sorry I meant to have posted in the vegan section!!
#3 Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Hello, I moved this thread and deleted your other one for you

Have you tried any of the meat alternatives? Gardein is very good. Maybe transition a little slower, trying to find alternatives to what you usually eat than being all at sea.

But really, try to find some gardein or Boca. Experiment with non-dairy milks. It sounds like you're not eating enough calories, which is why you may be getting headaches and feeling tired. Try some calorie dense foods, like making a pb&j for lunch
Tom and adventurousnutmeg like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Thank you.
I looked up those companies and they don't seem to be available in the UK
I have had the meat alternatives, although not horrible they do take some getting use to. Milk is not an issue as I enjoy most of the alternatives.
I just think its the constant checking of labels and having to put most things back. Also when you want a fast meal or a lunchtime meal during work break it seems almost impossible. I have been taking food but sometimes time hasn't allowed me to prepare.
Having a take away meal for the family left me with nothing at the weekend... everything had either egg or dairy products in the ingredients.
For me vegetarian isn't an option as it defeats the object. It was the dairy industry that led me to a vegan diet. Just feels harder this week then the previous
#5 Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, glucose fructose syrup is in A LOT of foods, so maybe try not to worry so much about that until you're having a easier time eating vegan.

I agree with River that it sounds like you're not eating enough calories. "Veg is ok but cant get excited about a mountain of cabbage or greens." By this sentence, it sounds like you're not sure what to eat.
Look up vegan recipes online, pick a few you think look good, and then make them. Findingvegan.com is a good website, and they add new vegan recipes almost every day. Vegweb.com is another website with plenty of vegan recipes. This forum also has a recipe section.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#6 Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Hang in there, those ups and downs do happened.

Try to find new recipes that are tasty, yummy and easy to prepare with no hard to find ingredients, buy a new cookbook if needed. For the lunchtime, there are many things you can prepare ahead and freeze, if you are in a hurry just pull one out the freezer the night before or microwave. Burrito, sweet potatoes stews, rice and whatnot. Salads are not super exciting for me either so I don't eat them regularly but when I do I prepare enough for like 2-3 meals and the greens always comes with beans, rice, quinoa, lentils. I always add fruits, nuts and sometimes dates in it also, feels less like a salad and more like a full meal.

Also try to see what you are craving, if it's lets say cheese, you might need more fat/oil. Maybe it's something more sugary etc.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#7 Old 11-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks for your replies. It does help even to have someone say keep going. Family and friends just say forget it so its a bit of a battle all round. Anyway, today I made mince pies and apple & mango tarts. Feel like Ive had something nice now.
Dinner I had potato and sweet potato mash with kale, roasted fennel hearts and a bean burger type thing. Was nice.
I have been making recipes but feel its always the same sort of stuff.
Anyway, I feel back on track :-)
adventurousnutmeg likes this.
#8 Old 11-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

steve56616, for the same sort of stuff, spices are the way to go to drastically change how a dish taste. Also, when you make a list of what omnivores really eat week after week, you realize it's same stuff also. I feel vegans eat a lot more different food then omnis. Make a little list of basic food, like brown, white, jasmine and wild rice all taste different, same with wheat or rice noodles or even those pasta with spinach or sun dried tomato in them, all different taste for same thing. Anyway making a list help me plan my meals for the week because I absolutely hate eating the same thing twice haha. Helps me also make a balanced meal. I have a binder of my favorite recipe that I really truly like and always am looking for new ideas or to improve something that just no quite make it to my binder.

Yeah I cook a lot but it's all easy stuff and I use my rice cooker and crockpot a LOT (you can cook many things in a rice cooker, even cake, it'S really not only for rice). Heck even no knead bread is a joke to make and bake.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#9 Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM

Hi i was just wondering what kind of rice cooker you use Majoram? Do you have a recipe for the bread? Thanks
#10 Old 11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I use the Hamilton Beach Digital Simplicity because after reading tons of review it was a great rice cooker for a very reasonable price. Some rice cooker can cost in the hundreds. Got mine on special for 45$ can. on Amazon.

The no-knead bread can be cooked in a crockpot, le creuset cast iron or even pyrex. Base recipe is:
3 cups of all-purpose flour (can use whole wheat, I use 1 cup whole and 2 white)
1/2 teaspoon instant or rapid rise yeast
1 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups cool tap water

Stir dry ingredients together, add and mix until you have a gooey mess but don't over-mix. Leave the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Forget it for 12 hours on the counter. Doesn't matter if it's a bit more or a bit less hours.

Heat oven at 450 degree F and preheat the pot you will bake it in for 30 min (this is important).
Meanwhile take your gooey dough and on floured surface gently form into the shape you desire, don't punch it or knead it! When the pot is ready place the ball in it and cover, use aluminium foil if needed for the lid is be very snug. Using parchment paper to lift the dough to/from the pot is a good idea, you can leave it in the pot while the bread cook too.
Bake 30 min, remove the lid and bake 15 more min. Remove from pot and let cool on rack. Eat. Enjoy.

#11 Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can get hold of decent bread or tortillas without a lot of junk in them, there are some quick vegan sandwiches to make. Make a half dozen of them (takes about fifteen minutes tops) and store in ziplock bags in the refrigerator to grab for work or wherever during the week.

All this week I have been eating whole wheat tortilla wraps with fat free refried beans (from a can), romaine lettuce, salsa, and onion rolled up in the tortilla. If you can't find fat free refried beans (regular ones have lard in them), buy some canned pintos and run them through the blender or food processor, then spread on tortilla or bread.

Peanut butter sandwiches will work in a pinch, or almond butter or sunflower butter etc. Even throw in a banana for peanut butter banana sandwiches. This works for breakfast or lunch. I ate them a lot when I was trying to put on weight. Very filling. Another one is grilled avocado and tomato sandwiches. Yet another is tempeh, cabbage, and sauerkraut sandwiches (saute the cabbage and sauerkraut just enough to get it soft). If you can find hummus, most store bought hummus is naturally vegan.

Even if you don't like fruit much, try whole medjool dates or even regular ones or figs and a glass of plant milk. I bring a thermos for plant milks and homemade soups.

I make my own energy bars on a day off/slow day and freeze them in individual zip-lock bags or saran wrap and then just grab one on a busy work day. They take about an hour to thaw and some you can eat right away as they don't get hard even in the freezer. Here is a base recipe to make vegan energy bars with common ingredients:
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemad...gy-bar-recipe/

Sometimes I just portion some dry oats and stevia and cinnamon into a bag and bring it to work as a back up plan in case I forget lunch or don't have time to make it ahead. All i have to do is pour it into a bowl, heat some water in a microwave and pour it over the oats and let them soak a minute or so and I have a hot bowl of oatmeal. I also bring little boxes of raisins as an "emergency" snack.

Most restaurants are willing to work with you to veganize menu items if there isn't too much to cut out or change. Never hurts to ask.

It can be a hassle sometimes to read labels or have to ask about menu items etc. I try to think of the positives though. My health is so much better, I am doing more for the environment, I am helping animals, and I am making a statement that animal products are not acceptable to me in my food or on my body. I will gladly deal with inconveniences to hold true to my convictions.

I know it is hard in the beginning. It takes time for everything to start to come naturally and automatically. But it does. It gets so much easier to live vegan the longer you keep at it. Don't give up!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 AM

I would like to say thank you for all your replies and time spent on giving all this positive advice.
I am feeling better and back on track. Even though I have been struggling, I have had no interest in meat or dairy. I think it is just the big change and getting used to the different food.
LedBoots likes this.
#13 Old 11-26-2014, 03:28 PM

I sympathise Steve. We've been vegan for about 4 months now and it has been going fine. Today though we were out much later than expected and needed food - we were both troughing badly and getting cranky. It also needed to be something we could eat on the run and I didn't want fruit. Veganism is a bit like having two heads in most of Portugal so there was no chance of finding much in the supermarkets, although we did scarf down a huge bag of crisps. We went to one little health food shop that has some vegan takeaway stuff but they had run out. To add to it, we avoid palm oil which seems to be in a load of accidentally vegan things, so I was putting lots of stuff back on the shelf. For the first time, I wished I didn't care about anything and was happy to eat whatever. But we found a salad bar in a food court so could have a pasta salad with chickpeas & veggies so all was not lost.

When we first became vegan, I started by veganising the foods we ate before. What did you eat before becoming vegan?
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

A motivation image! Because sometimes we need a shock img along with support and ideas!

#15 Old 11-27-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyBeans View Post
I sympathise Steve. We've been vegan for about 4 months now and it has been going fine. Today though we were out much later than expected and needed food - we were both troughing badly and getting cranky. It also needed to be something we could eat on the run and I didn't want fruit. Veganism is a bit like having two heads in most of Portugal so there was no chance of finding much in the supermarkets, although we did scarf down a huge bag of crisps. We went to one little health food shop that has some vegan takeaway stuff but they had run out. To add to it, we avoid palm oil which seems to be in a load of accidentally vegan things, so I was putting lots of stuff back on the shelf. For the first time, I wished I didn't care about anything and was happy to eat whatever. But we found a salad bar in a food court so could have a pasta salad with chickpeas & veggies so all was not lost.

When we first became vegan, I started by veganising the foods we ate before. What did you eat before becoming vegan?
Well you have said exactly what happens to me. I have just got home from my daughters school concert and going through cupboards trying to find something that I fancy to eat. I have ended up having porridge oats. Normally I would have biscuits or a chocolate bar. Even though they are there for the rest of the family I resist every time so each day I congratulate myself :-) I need to as no one else will
Before this I ate everything and loved all food, although fruit was low on my priority list. I have to say my diet has never been all junk food at all but sometimes at the weekend
#16 Old 11-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Worry less about lots of coloured veg, and concerntrate on rice, potatoes, whole grains, lentils. (Starches). That will make it simpler and easier.
lightergait and David3 like this.
#17 Old 11-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

omg so many vegan cookies, bars and other nummies you can make! Don't stop eating them because you are going vegan, sometimes it's as easy as replacing the egg with a flax egg or something. Replacing the food you like is part of the fun, I adapted many of my favorite omnivore recipes so I still can enjoy my comfort food and my treats.
Naturebound likes this.

#18 Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you looked at TastyBite? Not sure if they have them in the U.K, but they're very good. There's a few that are vegan. I used them a lot when I was working long hours and didn't have the chance to cook.

Frys is vegan, Linda McCartney range of foods has vegan products (not sure on all of them though), we have a range here called Lam Yong, they're vegetarian and vegan and they're great. We also have Sanitarium, again not sure if they're available in the U.K and a lot of their stuff is vegetarian, but they have a 'veggie roast' that is to die for (which is ironic because no one died for it! )

Do you have any Asian groceries near you? They can sometimes have some really wonderful vegetarian and vegan faux meats and alternatives. It's usually right near the fish, but I've picked up 'fake' fish with the skin on it, mushroom meat balls and in the aisles I can sometimes pick up agar agar which is a great alternate to the usual jelly!

Aside from all of that stuff, if you can't find it or the looking at lists is too much-

If you want anything that will involve mince (like a spaghetti bol) use lentils.
I fill out stir fries with tofu and chickpeas.
Wraps- Chickpeas, lentils, refried beans, avacado instead of cheese.
Pizzas- Soak some cashews in some water for 10-15 minutes, whiz it up in the blender till it's a bit crumbly, add a little salt to taste and it makes a nice spreadable 'cheesey' thing. Or you can add pine nuts instead of cheese, with some basil pesto, few olives and sundried tomatoes.

The other thing that really helped me, even when I first went veg, was to get a cook book. It can honestly be any cook book (though I love Sarah Kramer's stuff!) with vegan stuff in it and just start making it!

Hope some of that helps....And look, don't worry too much. Yes, you should totally stick to your convictions, but you're doing something awesome in the face of a society that just doesn't hold your views (yet). So be kind to you. And good luck with the rest of it!
#19 Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 AM

I hope it's still going okay? I've been vegan for a month now. Eating out is the main problem for me. At home it's important to have a really good vegan cookbook (or two) to keep meals exciting. Aside from that, have in mind 3-4 easy to cook staple meals that you can fall back on. One of mine is pea and spinach risotto which is basically a matter of throwing some ingredients into a pot and letting it simmer. For lunch you can make wraps with hummus, peanut butter, other nut butter or even carob spread. Someone else mentioned that avacado and tomato is good too. Check the 'what did you eat vegan today' thread for more ideas if that will help.

A tip: don't leave too long between meals so that you're starving by the time you come to make dinner.

Don't give up! It just takes a bit of getting used to. I'm so much happier since becoming vegan.
#20 Old 11-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
I have to say my diet has never been all junk food at all but sometimes at the weekend
Ok I'm not promoting junk food (although I eat far too much of it - cutting waaaaaay down on sugar is my next step) but if you ever need someone to point you in the direction of vegan UK junk food (including gluten free if that's ever an issue) you just let me know…

Hang in there, sounds like you're doing great. Some wonderful advice in this thread.
#21 Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Beginner

I personally eat 801010 (min of 80% carbs max of 10% fat and 10% protein) so I have fruit all day, vegetables for lunch and then carbs and veggies for dinner. This gives me loads of energy and I eat massive dinners and I've even been losing weight so if this is something you could try I would highly recommend having a go I found that I didn't like vegetables before but the more I made different creamy vegetables soups and put different vegetables in with my curried carbs things got easier and I actually love veggies now. I think you'll find your palette will change the more natural you eat as well! I genuinely cried a couple of years ago when my mother forced a tomato in my mouth and now I regularly have a kind of tomato mixture I created myself with mounds of couscous! Try and introduce one more kind of vegetable every couple of days, or week if that's easier for you. Anyway, I'm sure people here are more experienced than me but I've only been vegan for 3 or 4 months and already my palette has completely changed from doing this!

Good luck
#22 Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
steve56616, for the same sort of stuff, spices are the way to go to drastically change how a dish taste. Also, when you make a list of what omnivores really eat week after week, you realize it's same stuff also. I feel vegans eat a lot more different food then omnis.
This. Totally THIS.

I know it's easy to fall into a dietary rut, but that often holds true whether or not you eat foods of animal origin. Whenever I go to a restaurant, it's fun to check out the vegan options and pick something that doesn't sound like anything I've had before. (I'm good about eating food, even if it doesn't taste good- I never throw things out if they're edible.)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#23 Old 12-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
Im just past 2 week and really finding it hard now. I feel quite horrible, although cant say I feel unwell. Just tiered and headache.
Im finding shopping so hard as I don't fancy anything I see. I feel Im missing out on all the nice things the rest of the family are eating. Ive never been a lover of fruit and that just doesn't seem to have changed. Veg is ok but cant get excited about a mountain of cabbage or greens. I feel im loosing weight but don't really want to loose any.
I am making some mince pies but had cant find any mincemeat without Glucose fructose Syrup which seems to be an everything. I have always tried to avoid it but now don't seem to have a choice with that now either.
I just hope it gets easier
Both my daughter & son-in-law felt horrible after for a week or two after stopping meat and dairy. After reading a lot of posts here, it seems to be kinda common.

Make sure you are eating a variety of foods, that might make it easier.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#24 Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont know if these things are available for you. In Sri lanka, we have different kinds of vegetables we cook to different types of curries. lentils are very common as a curry.(full of protien too). Then we eat it with bread or rice or rotties.

You can make curries with almost all vegetables, and they ll taste different from each other. If you guys have textured vegetable protien (soya meat) curries can be made with that easily too.
#25 Old 01-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
A motivation image! Because sometimes we need a shock img along with support and ideas!
I think sometimes we need to be reminded of how trivial our difficulties can be compared to the difficulties faced by billions of animals around the globe...Puts things in perspective to say the least!
#26 Old 01-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Vegan since 1991

I've been a vegan for 23 years. One of the most common mistakes that new vegans make is not eating enough calories. Not eating enough calories will quickly make you fatigued. This mistake is easy to make, because beans and whole grains are low in calories, compared to meat.

This mistake is so common that it's now the subject of several vegetarian YouTube videos (see below). I recommend that you use free calorie-calculator websites, such as http://www.calorieking.com , to make sure you're getting your 2200-2500 calories per day (or more, if you are physically active).

(this video is also about fruit-based vegan diets, but it applies to other vegan diets as well)

(this video is about raw vegan diets, but it applies to cooked vegan diets as well)

azerea_02 likes this.

Last edited by David3; 01-17-2015 at 09:14 PM.
#27 Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Vegan as f**k

@ David3 - thanks for vids
#28 Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I felt like that in the first 2 weeks, I felt I was always hungry and like I couldn't eat anything ready made, but that was just the beginning, you learn as you go and you'll soon discover lots of interesting tasty nutritious foods to buy/eat. I'm not sure which country you are in so hard to advise. But if you are in the uk I'm happy to provide you with a long list of yummy stuff vegans can find in uk supermarkets

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#29 Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
How could it even be legal!?

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#30 Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
How could it even be legal!?
I know! It's such a terrible crime!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page