I'm back and starting over - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave

#1 Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm back and starting over

I don't know if anyone remembers me, I haven't posted since about 2011 I think.

Here's the dealo, I quit being a vegetarian out of convenience because where I was living was with my husband and his father before we got married. His father would complain and say the most back handed crap I got so tired of it because he wasn't going to stop. He acted like me being one made him meat deficient or something. Anyway I gave up and I know, it isn't great to admit.
So here I am, trying again but... I'll be honest I feel a little overwhelmed, like I'm alone, I feel scared at times for some reason like this will isolate me. I don't have any friends who are the same. My husband is fine with meatless meals but he is not a vegetarian.
I don't remember feeling this way before. All in all I need advice on how to deal with my uneasiness. I keep reminding myself that everything is fine and that I can feel better about what I eat and that eases my worry a bit.
I haven't been on this long, maybe almost a week. I'm doing well so far other then this

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Your body, your health, your ethics, no one else's. If your FIL keeps giving you sh uh, slack...tell him to back off. Or, as the t-shirt says, "If you don't ask about my protein, I won't ask about your cholesterol." Keep making delicious veg*an food, and ignore the nay sayers.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Impeach the gangster

When I first tried to go vegetarian (1982,) I failed, and 5-years went by before I was even able to try again. Then, it took 5 more years for me to phase out all meat and become vegetarian. So I would say, you're doing better than I did! Still, I got there, and several years later ('95,) went full vegan, and haven't looked back. So don't worry about the clock or the calendar. Just keep your goal in mind, and you'll get there.

P.S.- Welcome back!
Purp and Naturebound like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

CONGRATS on your return!!!!

You only have one life, & it's yours to live. Don't live your life for anyone else, otherwise, you're living a lie & will be miserable.

Tell your FIL that you've made a decision & he should respect it. Maybe tell him WHY you chose this path. Ask him about the average health status of a U.S. citizen. Ask him if your choice to eat healthy plants, without the fat, cholesterol, chemicals, etc. is a better decision. Maybe you will live longer, and be able to properly take care of his Son & Grandkids.
Purp likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Not a Beginner

Don't let the false start put you off. Some of us take a bit longer to get there than others. I've been vegetarian on and off since I was 14 (I'm now staring down the barrel of 40), with it only sticking in the last few years and then the last year or so transitioning to vegan. Admittedly acknowledging I had a dairy intolerance was a good kickstart. Shortly afterwards realising that eggs had always made me feel queasy as well finished off the job. It's been at least 6 months vegan now and I can't actually envisage going back.
#6 Old 08-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you everyone, I don't live with him so it doesn't affect me anymore but I know this family will be like "Again?" Sometimes I don't get it? It's so simple, you just don't eat meat and in my case I'm really trying to avoid dairy and eggs to become vegan but why would people find that wrong? Right now it's fine until it ends up coming up at family gatherings which it will if someone notices me avoiding the meat.

Anyway, as uneasy as I feel sometimes about being like this in our society in the u.s I feel like I have more options and help more then ever, even my work had an event where they fed us, it was burgers and chips but they had veggie burgers too, things have gotten easier for us so I'm very grateful.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
#7 Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post
Thank you everyone, I don't live with him so it doesn't affect me anymore but I know this family will be like "Again?" Sometimes I don't get it? It's so simple, you just don't eat meat and in my case I'm really trying to avoid dairy and eggs to become vegan but why would people find that wrong? Right now it's fine until it ends up coming up at family gatherings which it will if someone notices me avoiding the meat.

Anyway, as uneasy as I feel sometimes about being like this in our society in the u.s I feel like I have more options and help more then ever, even my work had an event where they fed us, it was burgers and chips but they had veggie burgers too, things have gotten easier for us so I'm very grateful.
I went to a restaurant today & ordered their "big salad" without the Parmesan cheese. The waitress asked me if I didn't want cheese due to a food allergy, or a dietary preference. I told her I just didn't want it on the salad.

I should have said "It's nunnya". Like nunnya business. Leave me alone & gimme my food.

It was my first day of going raw....& so far, so good. This looks promising.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#8 Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

That really is none of her business. Oh well, it's good to have options

-Buddha
#9 Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 PM

If it's a food allergy, they would have needed to be extra diligent in making sure no cheese was around it. It's actually a reasonable question. Ideally all such requests would be treated with that kind of diligence, of course, but life and kitchens (especially if high-volume) don't do "ideally".

/speaking as a kitchen employee in a high-volume omnivorous restaurant with claustrophobically limited...well, space, period.

Vegetarian since 2 June 2014.

Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen; 08-27-2014 at 04:54 PM.
#10 Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

That's good to do, it does seem though that gluten allergies and lactose intolerant are becoming more common, I've noticed gluten free popping up everywhere and lactose intolerance has made getting dairy free items more affordable. It's easier for us and at the same time really sad for those who have these problems. More and more reasons why I'm so happy to be doing this.

-Buddha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page