• 1 Post By odizzido
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Guide to nutrition w vegan suggestions?

Can someone recommend a website or book with a nutrition-for-dummies guide that includes suggestions of vegan foods and how often to eat them to fulfil requirements?

I need to educate myself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

http://nutritiondata.self.com

That site will give you a lot of information about what is in foods. As to learning about nutrition.....I don't know. I personally have just researched things on the internet as time has gone along.

I think pretty much as long as you are eating a good variety of fruits and vegetables it's pretty hard to not get the vitamins and minerals you need. Minus maybe calcium....but that depends.

As to protein, that's pretty hard to mess up as well as long as you're eating things like lentils or chick peas or soy or whatever.

One thing that I personally have to watch out for often is my iodine intake. You can get a few nasty things popping up if you don't get enough so when I am living in a country that gets their iodine from seafood I bring a box of iodized salt with me. But that's just because I don't like nori or anything like that.

What you need to watch out for will often depend on where you live though. And also what foods you like. If you were to give more information I think that would help us help you.
#3 Old 07-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I would recommend "Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet"
by Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, RD

They go into comprehensive detail about how to meet nutritional needs on a plant based diet (including sections on needs of teens, children, elderly, pregnancy, athletes etc) and use science and studies to back up their claims. They are neutral as far as style of eating which I find refreshing compared to promoting a certain vegan diet such as all raw or fat free etc. They also have sample menus for people. Worth checking into.

Here is the vegan food pyramid if that helps:

http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-food-pyramid.html

And here is a slightly different version of it:

http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_i...od_pyramid.htm
Tiger Lilly and anole like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Julieanna Hever has a book out called, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to a Plant Based Diet", which I found helpful...Also, the books The Engine 2 Diet and My Beef With Meat, both by Rip Esselstyn, who isn't a nutritionist, but is a firefighter and paramedic. All three of these books have been a big help.
anole likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I would recommend "Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet"
by Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, RD

They go into comprehensive detail about how to meet nutritional needs on a plant based diet (including sections on needs of teens, children, elderly, pregnancy, athletes etc) and use science and studies to back up their claims. They are neutral as far as style of eating which I find refreshing compared to promoting a certain vegan diet such as all raw or fat free etc. They also have sample menus for people. Worth checking into.

Here is the vegan food pyramid if that helps:

http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-food-pyramid.html

And here is a slightly different version of it:

http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_i...od_pyramid.htm
YES! Exactly that book!

I have the vegetarian one (which also comes with the vegan stuff as well) and it's great. A bit to get through and overwhelming at times. But I use it for reference now, if ever I'm worried about any holes in my diet.
anole likes this.
#6 Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Julieanna Hever has a book out called, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to a Plant Based Diet", which I found helpful...Also, the books The Engine 2 Diet and My Beef With Meat, both by Rip Esselstyn, who isn't a nutritionist, but is a firefighter and paramedic. All three of these books have been a big help.
Those are good!
Rip Esselstyns father is Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn-- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.
I've seen that action literally bring a co worker back to life in the most astounding transformation. Yes, he has the data to prove it.
Rips recipes are definitely for a more general audience, but do take nutrition into account.

Go to amazon.com and search for vegan cookbooks and read the look inside pages. You'll get a lot of info.
And order from your library if possible. I request so much many books never leave!
Purp and anole like this.
#7 Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
http://nutritiondata.self.com

That site will give you a lot of information about what is in foods. As to learning about nutrition.....I don't know. I personally have just researched things on the internet as time has gone along.

I think pretty much as long as you are eating a good variety of fruits and vegetables it's pretty hard to not get the vitamins and minerals you need. Minus maybe calcium....but that depends.

As to protein, that's pretty hard to mess up as well as long as you're eating things like lentils or chick peas or soy or whatever.

One thing that I personally have to watch out for often is my iodine intake. You can get a few nasty things popping up if you don't get enough so when I am living in a country that gets their iodine from seafood I bring a box of iodized salt with me. But that's just because I don't like nori or anything like that.

What you need to watch out for will often depend on where you live though. And also what foods you like. If you were to give more information I think that would help us help you.
These resources are what I was looking for- I want to learn more about the baseline of what we need and what we should be eating from a nutritional standpoint beyond protein/fats/carbs/calcium/iron.

While I'm building new eating and meal planning habits I want to take extra time I have right now to be sure I'm making healthy choices... this question was sparked by the realization that last week while I did have a wide variety of foods I ate berries and avocado at least once a day (strawberry season in Louisiana = my heaven). Plus I eat lots of spinach and just recently learned about oxalic acid from a friend who was like "Spinach? Unhealthy!" which blew my mind but I had no comeback since I'd never heard of oxalic acid... anyways.
So many nutrition resources skew so heavily towards weight loss references- which is totally understandable in this society but really wear me down after awhile- that I got too tired of wading through them.
#8 Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Guide to nutrition w vegan suggestions?

Vegan For Life by Jack Norris and Ginny Messina

Also these websites:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...ur-food-groups
http://www.veganhealth.org
http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans

Last edited by ElaineV; 07-18-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page