From veggie to vegan, would like some positive encouragement (have lots of "negative - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 2 Post By Thehappygang
  • 2 Post By veganvirgo
  • 3 Post By kiki23
  • 2 Post By kiki23
  • 2 Post By odizzido
  • 3 Post By Thehappygang
  • 2 Post By ElaineV
  • 2 Post By danglesmack

#1 Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM

I'm a veggie who loves to cook and I have great vegan shops close by, so I don't need any advice re what to eat etc,. However, what I would love is for some vegans - who previously made the leap from veggie to vegan - to share what they noticed as a result of the change.
I drink quite allot of milk in coffee, I eat yoghurt and cheese often. I don't eat whole eggs but I don't check for them on ingredients lists, so I'm sure I'll soon discover that I ate lots of eggs! Am committed to making the change as am horrified with what I've learnt, but would love to hear some exciting stuff to look forward to! Thanks!
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.

Last edited by Thehappygang; 07-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM

My skin has gotten clear and looks more glowing, I feel lighter and seem to have more energy. I also notice the inflammation in my body going down and I'm getting more defined. Once you make the leap you'll feel better, I felt the same why about yogurt, cheese, ect. but I'm still waiting to miss them as I haven't really, plus there is a lot vegan subs for yogurt and cheese so you won't miss a thing.
Just dive in, the water's fine

What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
To deny an animal the right to live just for your own convenience, preference or ego is to deny your own humanity
#3 Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM

I very recently made this leap! I went vegetarian in January and really never thought I'd be able to completely give up cheese, milk, and eggs, since it is in so many foods that I love. But the more research I did on the subject, the more I realized that dairy and eggs is actually really bad for your health. I went vegan last month, and I already feel SO MUCH BETTER. I've lost weight, my skin and hair look better, and I have more energy!

It may seem intimidating at first, thinking about all the foods you won't be able to eat, what people will think of you passing up so many foods, and wondering how you will find the time to cook vegan food every day. But I have found that it is actually so much easier than you'd expect. Food must be labeled for common allergens, so you can look for milk and eggs at the bottom of the ingredient list or in bold lettering. I read all ingredients before I buy anything anyway, so that part is easy for me.

As for giving up dairy and eggs... it's really not hard. I ate eggs, cheese, and ice cream almost every day. There are huuuundreds of vegan substitutes for just about anything you'd imagine. I like milk in my coffee, too, but I've found tons of different dairy-free creamers. I've heard that soy milk can sometimes curdle when poured into hot liquids, so you just have to do your research and try different things, like almond milk. Earth Balance makes delicious vegan buttery spread, and there are lots of dairy free ice creams that are pretty close to the real thing.

And I am OBSESSED with pizza, so that was where I really started to worry. But Amy's makes some awesome frozen pizzas with no cheese and with dairy-free cheese. Daiya has also come out with frozen pizzas, but I am not sure if the crust is vegan. I've also found recipes for polenta crust pizza and quinoa crust pizza that were pretty good!

Since you love to cook, I am not worried about you! If you are willing to put in the effort, it is so easy. I eat fruit salad and a piece of toast topped with peanut butter and sliced bananas almost every morning (Ezekiel 4:9 makes sprouted grain bread and wraps that are great!). For lunch, I'll eat a big salad with beans or a wrap with hummus and veggies. Stir fry with brown rice, veggie burgers, and pizza are my usual choices for dinner, and I stock up on Larabars for emergencies. Be creative!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 PM

And don't forget your B12 sublingual!
Purp and 2kkatime like this.
#5 Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Physically I feel exactly the same. Mentally I feel so much better knowing I am no longer intentionally causing suffering to others. I could never go back.
#6 Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Thank you these are really helpful replies. I made a vegan Lasagne today with nutritional yeast in the white sauce, looking forward to it!
Werewolf Girl, Purp and LedBoots like this.
#7 Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Veg to vegan was about one thing......cheese.

Forget the cheese & I move on.

Better health, better blood test results, etc. I am healthy as ever.

Watch the videos at www.bitesizevegan.com and you'll see.

Just do it.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#8 Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM

It's so easy to transition! I myself am still vegetarian but I buy a lot of vegan products. My best advice is not to get discouraged. If you try something and don't like it, try another brand or something similar. I just purchased tofurkey peppered lunch slices and vegenaise .. Best sandwich I have made since becoming veggie. It took me a few different tries to find vegan meat replacements that didn't taste like cardboard, but every time I am at the grocery store I grab something new along with what I already know I like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#9 Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

It gets easier every day.
The longer you're vegan the easier it gets.
The longer you live the more vegan options become available.
It's gets easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LedBoots and Vegan Dave like this.
#10 Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM

I can tell you straight up that becoming vegan was one best decisions I've ever made in my life.

I was very naive as a vegetarian. That's not to say that you are naive, but I certainly was. I turned vegetarian at age six because I understood the very basic notion that meat came from dead animals, and that didn't sit right with me. Still, I always genuinely believed that milk and eggs came from happy chickens and happy cows roaming around in endless fields loving life. I fell for all the "free range" marketing schemes. I was blind.

People used to ask me why I ate eggs if I was vegetarian, likely because they thought that all eggs were fertilised. I explained to them that chickens didn't have to die for us to eat eggs, so it was okay. That's how naive I was. I justified my milk consumption in the same way.

I became vegan after watching a very confronting video about the egg and dairy industry on YouTube. I was eighteen at the time, two years ago. Originally, I had planned to watch it with my boyfriend to try and get him to transition into vegetarianism. The video ended up doing a lot more for me than it did for him. I was absolutely shocked by the content of the video and I cried hysterically. I felt so guilty and ashamed that I had been unknowingly contributing to such horror.

I immediately decided that I had to be vegan. I couldn't look at milk or eggs in the same way ever again. I told my mum about my decision and she was very supportive, which is fantastic, and I'm so thankful for that. I know a lot of young people don't have the same support from their parents.

I used to drink milk and eat cheese daily - I was the kind to rely on cheese to add flavour to every meal and I absolutely loved iced coffee and banana milk. As a vegetarian, I thought vegans were kind of crazy - "how do they live without cheese, flavoured milk, chocolate and ice cream? It must be horrible!" Ha, how wrong I was!

Over the next few months of being vegan, I gained heaps of weight! I absolutely revelled in the huge amount of vegan food that was available to me. I had no idea there were so many alternatives! I began to eat way more than I used to because I loved the food so much. It's like I had opened up this new world of fantastic food that I had never even considered eating before, and it was awesome. I've since lost the weight by taking greater care in what I put into my body, but I still love to indulge in some vegan mac and cheese or a donut on occasion. That's another very positive thing about being vegan - you are forced to be more careful about what you eat. When you're constantly checking labels and nutritional info, you start to realise just how many unwanted additives are in a lot of common foods. I think vegans are also automatically more conscious about their daily vitamin needs, which is very important for anybody, vegan or not.

Dairy products can be addictive, especially cheese, so it's understandable why some people find it hard to phase those foods out. I can tell you now, though, that after two years of being vegan, the smell of milk and cheese is absolutely repulsive to me. It doesn't even smell like food anymore. I no longer have any desire to drink milk or eat cheese. The alternatives are much more appealing now.

Unfortunately, having a vegan philosophy can have some negative effects, especially when it comes to relationships with other people. Alienation can be quite common depending on the sort of people you surround yourself with. Some people will automatically assume that your veganism is an attack on them and their beliefs and will become defensive and angry. I've experienced it myself and it's not nice at all, but it's important to remember that you are doing what is best for your body, your soul, the animals and the environment. Other people just need time to become accustomed to the lifestyle as it generally goes against everything that they have been told their entire lives - that we're supposed to eat meat and there's no other option. This notion has been ingrained into their minds due to years of misinformation and it's hard for them to push through it.

Regardless of that, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. The vegan population is growing rapidly and eventually people will grow out of their fear of the meatless lifestyle. I can assure you that you will not regret becoming vegan if you do it right, and I'm sure you will. It's been two years now and I will never look back!
Vegan Dave and veggie man like this.

Last edited by danglesmack; 07-07-2014 at 10:35 AM.
#11 Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglesmack View Post
I can tell you straight up that becoming vegan was one best decisions I've ever made in my life.

I was very naive as a vegetarian. That's not to say that you are naive, but I certainly was. I turned vegetarian at age six because I understood the very basic notion that meat came from dead animals, and that didn't sit right with me. Still, I always genuinely believed that milk and eggs came from happy chickens and happy cows roaming around in endless fields loving life. I fell for all the "free range" marketing schemes. I was blind.

People used to ask me why I ate eggs if I was vegetarian, likely because they thought that all eggs were fertilised. I explained to them that chickens didn't have to die for us to eat eggs, so it was okay. That's how naive I was. I justified my milk consumption in the same way.

I became vegan after watching a very confronting video about the egg and dairy industry on YouTube. I was eighteen at the time, two years ago. Originally, I had planned to watch it with my boyfriend to try and get him to transition into vegetarianism. The video ended up doing a lot more for me than it did for him. I was absolutely shocked by the content of the video and I cried hysterically. I felt so guilty and ashamed that I had been unknowingly contributing to such horror.

I immediately decided that I had to be vegan. I couldn't look at milk or eggs in the same way ever again. I told my mum about my decision and she was very supportive, which is fantastic, and I'm so thankful for that. I know a lot of young people don't have the same support from their parents.

I used to drink milk and eat cheese daily - I was the kind to rely on cheese to add flavour to every meal and I absolutely loved iced coffee and banana milk. As a vegetarian, I thought vegans were kind of crazy - "how do they live without cheese, flavoured milk, chocolate and ice cream? It must be horrible!" Ha, how wrong I was!

Over the next few months of being vegan, I gained heaps of weight! I absolutely revelled in the huge amount of vegan food that was available to me. I had no idea there were so many alternatives! I began to eat way more than I used to because I loved the food so much. It's like I had opened up this new world of fantastic food that I had never even considered eating before, and it was awesome. I've since lost the weight by taking greater care in what I put into my body, but I still love to indulge in some vegan mac and cheese or a donut on occasion. That's another very positive thing about being vegan - you are forced to be more careful about what you eat. When you're constantly checking labels and nutritional info, you start to realise just how many unwanted additives are in a lot of common foods. I think vegans are also automatically more conscious about their daily vitamin needs, which is very important for anybody, vegan or not.

Dairy products can be addictive, especially cheese, so it's understandable why some people find it hard to phase those foods out. I can tell you now, though, that after two years of being vegan, the smell of milk and cheese is absolutely repulsive to me. It doesn't even smell like food anymore. I no longer have any desire to drink milk or eat cheese. The alternatives are much more appealing now.

Unfortunately, having a vegan philosophy can have some negative effects, especially when it comes to relationships with other people. Alienation can be quite common depending on the sort of people you surround yourself with. Some people will automatically assume that your veganism is an attack on them and their beliefs and will become defensive and angry. I've experienced it myself and it's not nice at all, but it's important to remember that you are doing what is best for your body, your soul, the animals and the environment. Other people just need time to become accustomed to the lifestyle as it generally goes against everything that they have been told their entire lives - that we're supposed to eat meat and there's no other option. This notion has been ingrained into their minds due to years of misinformation and it's hard for them to push through it.

Regardless of that, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. The vegan population is growing rapidly and eventually people will grow out of their fear of the meatless lifestyle. I can assure you that you will not regret becoming vegan if you do it right, and I'm sure you will. It's been two years now and I will never look back!
Well said!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page