Having hard time transitioning No support from friend - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Crochetlove
  • 1 Post By ellephants3

#1 Old 05-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Unhappy Having hard time transitioning No support from friend

I have decided to transition to vegan, its been along hard road but I am trying and going to do my best, well I decided to tell my friend that I was doing just that, and transitioning from vegetarian to vegan, well she started, why. She stated blah blah blah, you know what I think. I think you should go back to eating meat. I told her there is no way that is going to happen, she told me she was vegetarian for along time then decided to go back to meat but she still loves animals(eye rolls ) so then she goes on to tell me she thinks is better if I stayed vegetarian, because the country we are living in she says its hard, sometimes to find certain things, and also she does not believe I can be healthy here being vegan or getting the nutrients I need. This country just like the USA, is big on eating meat dairy and cheese like its going out of style. I do admit I do love dairy and cheese, but when I saw what damage it was doing to animals and I had never realized this . I wanted to stop. I am really trying but I feel like I am in this alone, like I have no one that understand me and what I am doing and why. And the one person who I thought would be supported of me is not, she is actually making me feel worse. Has any one else ever felt like this, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 AM
Banned

Hey khadijah, I'm sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time x

None of my friends were supportive when I became vegan. There were lots of comments about how I'd never stick to it, how wonderful bacon is etc etc. After a while, however, people realised that I was serious about this and now they have utmost respect for my decision.

I hope your friend comes round to the idea once she sees you are staying healthy on a vegan diet, and starts being more supportive.
#3 Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time

Stick it out, and in the long run you will be so happy you did. It can be really hard to do the right thing when no one is supporting you, but being able to do the right thing in that kind of circumstance makes you that much better of a person. You can do it!
Purp and 60225 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

^^^ seconded
#5 Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Sorry to hear of your friend's lack of support.

However, why would her opinion dictate your actions?

What if you decided to change religions & she didn't approve?

What if you were dating someone she didn't like?

Do what YOU want.....people's opinions change with the wind. YOUR life is more important.

Go vegan if you want to, irregardless of what others think.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#6 Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I will preface that I am not in your position with having no support with my food choices. My bf is super helpful and supportive. Same with family and friends. However I have basically donned a don"t care attitude. My boyfriends aunt essentially called me out about my food choices in front of everyone at Easter dinner and I really could have cared less. I used too be so quiet and a people pleaser. Now I just do my own thing and what feels right too me. People don't have too agree. But I wont back down on my beliefs just because people don't agree. When I stopped caring about other's thought's and opinions it took a big weight off my shoulders!
Vegan Dave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page