Where do you find your recipes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you guys go to vegan websites and cookbooks or do you just adapt omni recipes to exclude the animal products? One of my favorite recipe websites is not specifically vegetarian, I get a lot of ideas from the site but then end up having to get creative to veganize it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I really enjoy reading food blogs, vegan or otherwise. After years of cooking from omni recipes, I can usually tell at a glance if a recipe will be worth trying to veganize. For example, if the only meat in a recipe is ground beef, I can easily replace it with tvp, and if the only cheese is added on top before serving, it can usually just be left out. 

I also like cookbooks a lot, but I won't buy them unless there is a lot in them that I will use. I'm particularly fond of the (vegan) cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and lately the (omni) Rodale Whole Foods Cookbook has spent a lot of time on my counter. 

Most of the things I cook on an everyday basis came from non-veg recipes that I adapted to suit my lifestyle and taste. I write down all of the resulting recipes in a word document and print them out to form a "family cookbook." It's nice to have because I don't ever have to remember things like, "I double the garlic here, sub lentils there, omit the dairy in that one..." 

#3 Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sometimes I just google Vegan zucchini tomato potato onion (or whatever I have around the house I want to use up) and get some good ideas! Or I come here. smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

There are a whole bunch of vegan food blogs I follow on Facebook and Twitter and I also use Pinterest now so I always have thousands of ideas.

Some good blogs and sites are Plant Based on a Budget, VegWeb, The Lunchbox Bunch, Mouthwatering Vegan, Chef Chloe Coscarelli, Post Punk Kitchen, Oh She Glows, Olives for Dinner, One Green Planet and The Vegan Stoner.

Also, the Veggieboards Recipe section has some pretty good ideas: https://www.veggieboards.com/f/36/recipes wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another favorite of mine---amazon.com. Look up veg cookbooks (well any books!) and see if it has the "look inside" feature. Some books have just the index, others are full of full page recipes! I've gotten many recipes that way, you just have to write them down. It allows you to browse and see what authors appeal to you. It's also good to read the reviews. Some can be very helpful

Vegan eats are as varied as what omnis eat.

I often just do a search for whatever food I want prefaced by vegan.

Library!!! I order so many vegan books from mine. They've actually kept a good number of them there so I make sure to keep checking them out to show interest! 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

One source is

http://www.recipesource.com/

This is the current site for, or successor to, SOAR: The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes. Currently, the site has about 70,000 recipes.

There is a section of about 600 recipes that are specifically vegetarian.

But I think it is better to look at all the recipes and then "veg*nize" them as needed.
#7 Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Your local library is your friend, if you don't want to shell out for a book (641 is the cookbook section--not that I would know that or anything :rolleyes:, 613 is the health and nutrition section (Engine 2 Diet, Reversing Heart Disease, etc).) I also find magazines like Vegetarian Times and VegNews to help out, too, along with Recipepuppy and Allrecipes, as well. 

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 05-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I do a little of everything everyone shared.  When I first went vegan, I collected a lot of recipes from Vegweb.  I would print one off that I liked or had success with and put it in a 3 ring binder.  I also hit the library and copied recipes and advice from books I checked out and put those in my three ring binder.  Little by little over the years I have collected cookbooks and nutritional style vegan books from bookstores.  Amazon.com always has used and cheaper books, but I have been known to grab a handful of cookbooks at Barnes and Nobles, sit down at the coffee shop there, and write some of the recipes out without buying a whole book lol.  Sometimes I just google "vegan" and then some recipe or food ingredient I want to work with and get all sorts of good stuff.  I have more three ring binders of recipes and tips than you can ever imagine  now.  :o  Just from reading tons of blogs, recipe books, and forums, I have learned a tremendous bit about creative ways to veganize dishes or eat plant based foods.  I am to the point now where I create my own dishes and don't need to refer to recipes much.  I'm still proud of my red lentil and bulgur spaghetti sauce lol.  

Some of my favorite cookbooks: "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Subtitutions" (has really offbeat but great recipes in there and provides helpful tips for veganizing recipes), "Veganomicon", "Forks Over Knives" (love the simplicity of these recipes) and my newest and most beloved addition is "Oh She Glows Cookbook".  I love the Oh She Glows blog too and I have never been disappointed with her recipes.  I also go to gluten free blogs and sites for ideas and because my Mom eats gluten free vegetarian and I make dishes for get togethers with her and I have learned how to veganize some of those too.  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 AM

theppk.com  ohsheglows and chocolatecoveredkatie are my favorites. For desserts, I've never gone wrong with chocolatecoveredkatie!

#10 Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, you guys have lots of great ideas!

#11 Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM

What I did when I went vegan about 20 years ago I wasn't on the internet. I joined the vegan society in Holland where I was living and bought a number of cookbooks from them and also received a lot of information about veganism from them. A few years later I went onto the internet which was just brilliant. I just typed in 'vegan recipes' and there was so much to find!

It takes a little bit of time, but I think it's best to try out recipes, just anything that seems tasty to you, be open to new ingredients and just go for it. Before you know it you'll have a great repertoire of recipes to choose from and you'll be able to veganize recipes that look tasty to you, but aren't vegan. 

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://
cost international shipping!

#12 Old 05-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Veg & two wheels

I'm an old school geek I prefer cookbooks, but I've got recepies online. I've scribbled many a recepie down. I have adapted some omni recepies in the past, but I'm not a fan of meat substitute. One thing I will say is take parts of a recepie, eg sauce or accompanying sides and merge them together. If you're not disgusted by meat recepies try buying cookbooks cheap (under 2£/$). There might be ideas you like or can adapt.
With the web at your fingertips there are thousands of recipes to find. Google/YouTube are your friends. Even as a start point try the vegan society, badger mods post on forums. You'll find your favourite sites in no time smiley.gif

If you're near/part of a rl veggie society talk to people. Experience is a key development in my opinion.
#13 Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I have always loved to read cookbooks, recipes, etc and am so happy about blogs! The photos! smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page