2nd Attempt - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Hi everyone -

I tried transitioning from veg*n to vegan a few months ago.....and got pretty close. 

My main problem is that I travel a lot, and need to grab some food on the run.  Someone suggested nuts / seeds, etc.  for times when "food" isn't available.  That has worked, along with apples & nectarines.

So, I'm getting better.  :sunny:

Anyway, here's a list of the vegan obstacles:

MILK -  no problem, I quit that decades ago.

EGGS - we don't have any & won't be buying any more

CHEESE - I have some in the fridge, that I will toss.  It's gonna be hard without cheese pizza, though!!!

BUTTER - I have a stick, or two.  I can live without it.

YOGURT, ETC. - don't really eat it.

ICE CREAM - quit a long time ago.

My main concern is grabbing a muffin, or whatever, that has no label on it.  It could have been made with animal products (eggs).....who knows.  I feel that if I go vegan, my food choices will be severely limited, and that I'll lose a lot of weight, since I won't  have any food to eat.

I am morally behind the change, but I feel like I might starve to death.....or be confined to eating rice cakes for the rest of my life......LOL.

Any advice from you "experienced" vegans?  :wayne:

Werewolf Girl likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

My advice is don't sweat the small stuff like an occasional muffin that doesn't have a label because "that way madness lies" King Lear

As long as you are comfortable with the occasional 'risk' of eating something with a minimal amount of egg, milk or honey then it's not exactly a hanging offence :D 

The other day someone offered me some pretzels and I just assumed they were vegan.  Turned out they were chilli and honey flavour.  They were delicious.  The vegan police haven't knocked at my door yet so I think I got away with it

*still has awesome vegan powers*

Restricting yourself to the point where you resent the diet is not going to encourage you to stick with it long-term and that makes it counter-productive.

ETA: If I'd known the pretzels contained honey before I was offered them then I would have said no.  Having already eaten a couple I wasn't going to beat myself up about it but I was gutted not to be able to have more!

#3 Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

What Quiet-Vegan said.

Don't sweat the small stuff.  It's important to not let the perfect become the enemy of the good on these matters.

If you feel like you really messed up some time, you can always do a little charity for animals to make up for it :)  Donate a few bucks to your favorite animal welfare/rights/veg*n advocacy group, and it all balances out in the end.

But please, please, don't throw away food.  Give it to somebody- that way it will displace other non-vegan food they would have otherwise bought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

What Quiet-Vegan said.

Don't sweat the small stuff.  It's important to not let the perfect become the enemy of the good on these matters.

If you feel like you really messed up some time, you can always do a little charity for animals to make up for it :)  Donate a few bucks to your favorite animal welfare/rights/veg*n advocacy group, and it all balances out in the end.

But please, please, don't throw away food.  Give it to somebody- that way it will displace other non-vegan food they would have otherwise bought.

I just started reading VEGANIST by Kathy Freston.  She suggests not to strive for perfection, just do your best.  I agree, small victories, day by day.  You're right....I won't toss any food.  I know someone who will gladly take it.  I already have monthly contributions going to two animal rights organizations.  I believe strongly in their causes.

I guess my reference point is that I went veg*n overnight, but the vegan path seems more involved.  I'll do baby steps & will prevail in the end.  It might take longer, though.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Muffins are typically not vegan but bagels are usually 99% vegan and are my main grab and go carb-snack when I travel. (I even pack disposable margarine packages on shorter trips because I assume I will grab a bagel at some point.)

#6 Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of gas stations and convenience stores have increasing amounts of vegan friendly snacks (by accident).  Although not very healthy, granola/energy bars like Nature Valley (except the ones with honey in them) and most Cliff and Larabars are typically vegan.  You can find packages of sunflower seeds, peanuts, cashews, and roasted pumpkin seeds too (just watch for gelatin that is sometimes added to packaged nuts and seeds but not always), and fresh fruit like bananas and apples in many convenience type stores. BTW I think Thomas New York style bagels are vegan.  I don't personally eat those but my husband will.  :)

Some more progressive local bakeries are making vegan items too.  I have gone online and looked up some local ones and many list the ingredients that go into their goods, and I found one that makes vegan bread and cookies.  I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing for me lol.  :worried:  If you are planning to travel to a particular location, you could google bakeries and groceries and so on to see what is available.

I do personally read labels before I buy things if I don't know much about the product (or to make sure a product hasn't changed and added some animal ingredient).  But I am generally a bit obsessive about health and do not like additives and products with more than a few ingredients, even plant milks.  I would probably not be upset if a vegan bought bread with L cysteine in it (could be derived from humans, animals, or synthetic), as oppose to a whole carton of milk or eggs or a package of meat.  Though I think in principle everyone should read labels and avoid packaged foods with a ridiculous amount of chemicals in them as a form of protest to what is allowed to be put into food nowadays.  I used to get irritated with my Mom when she tried to go vegan but would buy bread made with eggs and still call herself vegan, but she is gluten free and it is very difficult to find decent gluten free vegan bread that doesn't taste and feel like weighted cardboard (making it is a challenge too but can be done lol).  I guess I don't make as big of a deal about it anymore for her.  She's come a long ways from what she used to eat and wear.  For me personally, avoiding products with minute amounts of animal derived ingredients is more of a symbolic silent protest against the system of animal exploitation than that I think it would really make a huge difference to whether an animal lives or dies or suffers if I don't buy say a bar that has 1/8th of an egg in it.   You have to draw the line where you are comfortable at the present.  I think others have made good points about not trying to be perfect.  I sometimes feel like a hypocrite for having two caged birds I have had for five years since before I was vegan.  I would never buy another pet bird now, but I can't just get rid of or free the ones I have.  They would never survive on their own and would still be confined regardless of who took them in now.  I take the best care I can with them.  And I live with an omnivore but I let him stay in my house too.  :)

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 PM

I agree with the OP when he stated going veggie is relatively easy if you're already predisposed. Going Vegan is an entirely different matter. I understand the need to be perfect in our eating habits, as there are friends and family who will periodically highlight any foods, which don't meet the strict standards we set for ourselves. We have a societal obligation not to appear hypocritical.

I suspect the only true way of going vegan is to make your own food and travel with it. Or as one poster said buy any accidental vegan products going.

My personal failings are cheese sandwiches at work, the occasional pizza, milk chocolate and the meat free hot dogs I eat have eggs in them. I do get an alternative without eggs, but the protein from the eggs helps me in ways I can't express here, without appearing nuts.

I would recommend learning to bake gluten free cakes and the like. It's no accident that every vegan I've ever met, knew how to cook and bake stuff.

Best of luck.

#8 Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Button Man View Post

but the protein from the eggs helps me in ways I can't express here...

the placebo effect is a genuine phenomenon. :)

#9 Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Zelda Freak

I super agree about not sweating the small stuff (much) - you'll go INSANE. We don't want that now. 

One thing, can you bake up some vegan muffins or granola bars at home (a huge batch) - it just takes a few hours, then put them in the freezer and make sure you always grab a couple before running out the door? My sister travels a lot and she's the queen of keeping food in her glove compartment - crackers, muffins, etc. Then she won't stop for junk food. That might work for you.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+

* Find me:
+
+
#10 Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I super agree about not sweating the small stuff (much) - you'll go INSANE. We don't want that now. 

One thing, can you bake up some vegan muffins or granola bars at home (a huge batch) - it just takes a few hours, then put them in the freezer and make sure you always grab a couple before running out the door? My sister travels a lot and she's the queen of keeping food in her glove compartment - crackers, muffins, etc. Then she won't stop for junk food. That might work for you.

GOOD IDEA!!!  :up:

I'm trying to GRADUALLY embrace veganism.  :sunny:

The switch to the veg*n lifestyle was easier; (overnight). 

Veganism is like learning to drive on the opposite side of the road.  Every day, you have to pay extra close attention.

I'll do it.....it will just be more gradual.  :nana:

#11 Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I don't know how keen you are to make your own stuff, but you might consider it. I've recently started to get into Vegan baking and it's really not as challenging as I thought it would be. One really great website that someone on these boards mentioned is Chocolate Covered Katie (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/). Her website has a link to single serving sized desserts and breakfasts and they really don't take a lot of time to make. I'm addicted to the baked oatmeal (refined the recipe to make a Cranberry Orange baked oatmeal for one) and I make it almost every day. You can make something the night before and take it the next morning. You could also try baking muffins or other things on the weekend and then freezing them for the week. That way, you don't have to rely on grabbing something that you're not sure will work for you. 

Djuna

Vegan Dave likes this.
#12 Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djunamod View Post

I don't know how keen you are to make your own stuff, but you might consider it. I've recently started to get into Vegan baking and it's really not as challenging as I thought it would be. One really great website that someone on these boards mentioned is Chocolate Covered Katie (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/). Her website has a link to single serving sized desserts and breakfasts and they really don't take a lot of time to make. I'm addicted to the baked oatmeal (refined the recipe to make a Cranberry Orange baked oatmeal for one) and I make it almost every day. You can make something the night before and take it the next morning. You could also try baking muffins or other things on the weekend and then freezing them for the week. That way, you don't have to rely on grabbing something that you're not sure will work for you. 

Djuna

Djuna -

Great idea!!   :wayne:   I'll check it out!!!  :naughty:

BTW - I have almost finished VEGANIST by Kathy Freston.   Each chapter gave me more ammo to convert to veganism sooner than later.  IOW, all at once vs. a gradual approach.  She says "lean"into it......I kinda "fell over". :hi:

Today is day 2 of my vegan transformation. :nana:  I threw away 3 packages of cheese, and am searching for more non-vegan food in the kitchen.  I haven't had cow's milk in forever, no eggs, etc.  The thing that did it for me was a quote in the book that basically said:  I don't have to live without (cheese, milk, dairy, etc.) forever.....I just need to live without it today.  Taking it a day at a time is a great approach......I lived without cheese pizza TODAY.......and will do so tomorrow.  Pretty soon, it will be "forever".

Becoming veg*n was pretty exciting.....so is this.  VEGANIST is very informative and is a very good read.  I felt pretty good about being a veg*n, and feel that being a vegan makes me complete.  It provides closure for the reasons I became veg*n.  I guess just more ammo for my veg*n reasons.  (Sorry if this is TMI.....I know this isn't the Dr. Phil show.....I'm just trying to relate the transition from veg*n to vegan). 

Try vegan......it's not that scary at all!!  :bobo::pibo::nana:

#13 Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Drink vegan juices-easiest to intake at no time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page