• 1 Post By ShadowKat

#1 Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Photo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Bracing for snow

That's a great poster and I can see truth in it. OTOH the thing that helps me most is focusing on my own health, so I guess it just varies by person, goal and intent. What works for one person may have little to no impact on another.

Ken
#3 Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

1907325_459644197494731_1767351765_n.jpg

I do agree with that to an extent but certain life situations do impact the ease of being vegan. When I was living at my mom's house working 30-35 hour weeks being vegan was very easy. When I was kicked out of my bf's house, moving from house to house and sometimes sleeping on the train being vegan was very hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

I do agree with that to an extent but certain life situations do impact the ease of being vegan. When I was living at my mom's house working 30-35 hour weeks being vegan was very easy. When I was kicked out of my bf's house, moving from house to house and sometimes sleeping on the train being vegan was very hard.

I think the poster is referring to how vegans react differently to similar life situations. 

#5 Old 02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Banned

Perhaps its hard to achieve vegan purity, I wouldn't know, but I don't think consuming a plant-based diet is any more difficult than the typical diet.
Vegan Dave likes this.
#6 Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM

For me I think the switch over to veganism has been easy, I just needed to try new things and I love learning new ways to make dishes and try new ingredients. I feel better physically and mentally, my conscience is happy
#7 Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Photo

Hello Leedsveg,

This afternoon I visted an elderly Aunt who lives alone, concerns about her grip of reality was not as firm as it used to be. I soon found that she had all of her faculties other than her hearing and this was only because she had not replaced the battery in her ear-piece.She was most reluctant to fix that "It is such a blessing to be protected from people's nonsense" she said. And then I thought and pondered on your above quote, attitude's are sometimes avantage's.

STAY HAPPY

Purp likes this.
#8 Old 02-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:

Photo

leedsveg -

Very good poster.  :wayne:

Your knowledge & insight is a valuable part of this website.  :sunny:

I have had a struggle with converting to veganism.  My main problem is that I travel about half the year.  Sometimes very short times between flights, etc.  I have adapted to the veg*n lifestyle, but fall short of the vegan goal.  Grabbing a slice of cheese pizza makes a huge difference between starving, or not.

I recently ordered a book from another thread that might help transition to veganism.  I consume no milk (Eeeeeeww :spew:), just some cheese, and an occasional egg, or two.  I hope to make the transition.  I feel like "just being a veg*n" falls short of the overall goal.  Like punting on third down.

For all you vegans out there.....I really admire you.  In a perfect world, no one would eat animals, much less their by-products.  It kills me to see a soccer Mom with 4 or 5 gallons of cow's milk in the shopping cart.  Do you have baby cows at home???

PARTY ON VEGANS.....YOU RULE!!!!!  :wayne:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFUVEGMAN View Post

My main problem is that I travel about half the year.  Sometimes very short times between flights, etc.  I have adapted to the veg*n lifestyle, but fall short of the vegan goal.  Grabbing a slice of cheese pizza makes a huge difference between starving, or not

Travel can be hard and takes some planning. Your best bet is to organize sufficient snaks for the trip before you leave, be they nuts, dried fruits, whatever. If you can just reach into your carryon and grab something easily you'll get through.

Then you'll have to figure out what/where/how you're going to eat at your destination.

I like to use hotels that offer small kitchenettes. You can pop into a local store. Stock up on some easy favorites and you're all set. Of course, exploring a new cities vegan eateries can be fun but you need the time and means to chase them down.

Ken
#10 Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Going and staying vegan was very easy for me personally (I went from omnivore to vegan overnight and never looked back), even living with an omnivore husband.  However, I do not have children, do not live with parents I have to depend on for food, have not had to stay in a hospital and no time in prison, and I am not dirt poor.  I understand that people in some of those situations have really struggled to maintain as vegans due to circumstances not entirely in their control, not necessarily selfishness.  

I did travel to a relatively poor area of Texas last year, to a little town called Palacios, for Spring break from school and work.  My husband's parents do missionary work and they lived in a tiny camper there at the time. They paid for us to come visit (otherwise I could never afford it).  I spent a whole day traveling to three huge airports, from the little Duluth International airport to Chicago, then on to Houston, then Corpus Christi, and then they picked us up there and we drove to Palacios.  Thankfully we stayed in a hotel that, although old fashioned and run down, had a little kitchenette.  I also had the flu and was pretty sick but since it was a once in a lifetime chance to see the ocean for the first time in 41 years, I wasn't canceling.  It was my first taste of traveling such a long way as a vegan, even though I had been vegan for a few years.  Because of the airports and planes, I could not prepack all my own homemade and prepared food as I was accustomed to doing when traveling.  The airport has strict rules about the type of food that can be brought in.  I was able to bring some cliff bars and larabars along (due to small size and prepackaging which is generally allowed), and all the airports had fresh fruit offered in their food courts.  Although I know the larger airports I went through had vegan restaurants, we didn't have a lot of time or money to look for them and spend time in them.  Most of the other food courts were severely lacking in vegan food.  Even the salads were pre made and lathered in ham, eggs, and cream dressings.  I was still able to get by all day on fresh fruit and cliff bars, but it wasn't the easiest.  I normally never drink fruit juices unless I make my own and even then rarely, but I did buy orange juice because I was sick and needed the extra calories and my choices were limited.  The first grocery store we stopped at near Palacios, I kid you not I could not find much of anything vegan.  They had no oats, no dried or canned beans, no nuts or seeds, no soymilk, only bleached white rice, and the produce section was smaller than a closet.  The whole grocery store was packaged junk food and frozen dinners and breads and rices with tons of additives.  I couldn't believe it!  This is what a lot of grocery stores in very poor areas are like.  We had to drive to several stores before I found a decent one so I could get oats, canned beans, lots of veggies and fruits, and a plant milk for the week.  Thankfully, Mexicans tend not to put a lot of crap in their homemade tortillas (Palacios is known for a heavy Mexican population) and I was able to find naturally vegan friendly tortillas made without lard or preservatives to use to put beans and veggies in.  I had to share a tiny kitchen in the camper for some meals, and use a public kitchenette for others, so I had to have food that was quick and easy to make.  I was still able to eat vegan no problem, but it did take quite a bit of planning.  I had thought ahead of what types of food I would easily be able to find in gas stations and so on that wasn't necessarily vegan specialty.   Raw nuts and seeds (sunflowers abound down there), fresh fruits, cliff bars, oats, cans of beans, peanut butter, that sort of thing came to mind, and even in the most poor and remote areas I was able to find something.  The produce that IS available down there is AMAZING compared to up here in the winter.  Their fruit is out of this world if you can find access to a farmers market.  A lot of it is local compared to where I live up here where fruit can not be grown most of the year as it is too cold and the climate here is not hospitable to some produce so it is shipped from afar..  So there were advantages there too.  The whole experience opened my eyes though to the lack of quality food in poor areas, and the fresh produce and good organic stuff was generally only available in richer areas as far as farmers markets or larger chain groceries.  I would have thought you could find dried beans or plain oats anywhere, but nope. You could easily find oats doused and prepackaged with cream and sugar and crap ironically.  Even almond milk was unheard of in the smaller towns.  I can picture that long term I still would have been able to make it work, but I would live without more than I do now.  I guess I am spoiled.  :)  I am not rich by any means btw, probably poorer than most on these boards, but I live in a decent area with access to good food.  And I use that to my advantage and fight for the rights of others by doing things like working with the area hospitals for more vegan friendly options (I donated large volume vegan institutional cooking books to them and provided recipes for large groups and so on and also let them know the struggles a relative faced when she had to stay in their hospital for a week and they couldn't find vegan food for her), donating vegan friendly shelf stable foods to homeless shelters and food shelves, providing animal advocacy and vegan nutritional literature to all, especially underserved poorer high schools and community colleges etc.  I think if I had only focused on my heath and not on the ethical basis of my choices, it might have been easier to compromise and "cheat" for convenience sake.  Though it probably wasn't all that ethical for me to travel in such large airports with the flu.  :shy:

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 AM

It's only been 5 weeks vegetarian and this is my 3rd week being vegan. It hasn't been difficult. Thankfully, there is a Whole Foods and Sprouts here in San Antonio. The HEB grocery store near work has many great vegan options as well.

My clothes are easy. The only non-vegan clothing is my old pair of leather sketchers that I wear everywhere (foot problems with awful arches). As soon as I get some extra $$ I'm going to get some vegan friendly footwear.

The household products and my hygiene products are taking longer. I've struggled for a couple of weeks trying to find a deodorant that works but wasn't having any luck (and I don't even have strong b.o., but still felt yucky).

Luckily I found a YouTube channel with a woman who recommended coconut oil with a dusting of baking soda. It works! grin.gif

I tried Dr Bonner's to make my own body wash & shampoo but it dried my skin out too much, even though it was diluted down. Alba's shampoo & conditioner are a hit. grin.gif Just need a good body wash now.
Next project is is laundry detergent.
#12 Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't say veganism is hard but it does have its inconveniences, namely the fact that many restaurants don't offer any vegan options. Why do they always have to put that completely unnecessary egg in a meal that would be completely vegan without? Otherwise, I was expecting to crave animal products a lot more. I still crave cheeze sometime, but less and less often. And my gush does it feel good to know that I'm doing the right thing! It is worth the inconveniences a million times over.

#13 Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Originally Posted by TOFUVEGMAN View Post

leedsveg -

Very good poster.  :wayne:

Your knowledge & insight is a valuable part of this website.  :sunny:

Er, I hasten to point out that I copied the poster from Facebook so it's not my work of creative genius. 

I would imagine that Jews keeping "glatt kosher" would find similar inconveniences to those that vegans do, in their day to day lives.

#14 Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM

For me I think the switch over to veganism has been easy, I just needed to try new things and I love learning new ways to make dishes and try new ingredients. I feel better physically and mentally, my conscience is happy and so are the animals
#15 Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryphoebe1 View Post

Next project is is laundry detergent.

Ahh, this one is simple. Here is what I do.
Take a bar of Kirks Castile soap (or and other cheap Castile soap) and put it in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Add 3 cups of warm water and seal up. Put the bag in a bowl or rubber ware container just to keep stuff clean and in case of leaks.
For the next 5 days, smoosh the soap bar inside the sealed bag once a day for a few minutes. After about 5 days you will have a soap "paste".
Next transfer the soap paste in to a mixing bowl and add 3 more cups of warm water and use an immersion blender to make smooth. (you could use just a regular blender as well).
Next pour it in to an empty laundry bottle and add in yet another 3 (or 4) cups of water, close up and gently shake the container. The extra cup is if you want it a bit thinner.
The next day the liquid soap will have set up. I use this for laundry, and fill up the bathroom hand washing soap container as well as the dish detergent container (might want to top off those with a little bit of extra water). Anyways, kirks soap is like 1.25 a bar and gets me about 10 cups of liquid soap that lasts me months. Works really well too!
Edit: also works well in mop water.
Edit2: if you use higher quality, "luxury" Castile soaps when doing this, you can get a good body wash. I am currently using a body wash made with 3 dollar bars of hemp Castile that had a higher oil content than the standard white bars.
VeganDoll likes this.
#16 Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

Travel can be hard and takes some planning. Your best bet is to organize sufficient snaks for the trip before you leave, be they nuts, dried fruits, whatever. If you can just reach into your carryon and grab something easily you'll get through.

Then you'll have to figure out what/where/how you're going to eat at your destination.

I like to use hotels that offer small kitchenettes. You can pop into a local store. Stock up on some easy favorites and you're all set. Of course, exploring a new cities vegan eateries can be fun but you need the time and means to chase them down.

Ken

Ken -

Good ideas.....I will try them out.   :up:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#17 Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 AM

The quote is beautiful and rhetorically powerful.  But I'm not sure it's true.

I think the difficulty of being vegan is relative to where you live, and how much junk food you want to eat (it's very easy to be vegan on a whole foods diet almost anywhere, but harder to find vegan junk food in some places).

#18 Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post
Perhaps its hard to achieve vegan purity, I wouldn't know, but I don't think consuming a plant-based diet is any more difficult than the typical diet.
Since when is veganism a diet?
#19 Old 07-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post
Oh come on! I so wanted to argue that point today but stopped myself.
A plant based diet is a part of a vegans life, but nowadays (that's a word?) "vegan diet" is accepted as meaning "plant based"
Many people will term "plant based" as a "healthy" vegan diet.
#20 Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

What it really comes down to for me is that if I can travel at speeds that I'm not physically capable of...
If my home is protected with locks
My climate is often artificially controlled
I can fly in planes, dive in scuba gear
Have drinking water at my fingertips
My clothes and food are bought from stores
Why on earth would i argue I was "meant" to eat, or use, animals when I so easily accept all those other things?
#21 Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Oh come on! I so wanted to argue that point today but stopped myself.
A plant based diet is a part of a vegans life, but nowadays (that's a word?) "vegan diet" is accepted as meaning "plant based"
Many people will term "plant based" as a "healthy" vegan diet.
Hahaha!

I was just pulling his leg.

My interpretation of the picture is that it is trying to say that those who find it easy, focus only on diet and/or opening a website, selling vegan crap merchandize and eventually go back to consuming animal products. Those who find it hard, focus mainly on saving animals.
#22 Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

In some instances, keeping vegan is hard. Overall, it is strikingly easy if you stand up for yourself and your beliefs.
#23 Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't recall saying veganism is "a diet", I was speaking of plant-based diets which are very similar to the way vegans eat.

Quote:
Hahaha!
Those who find it hard, focus mainly on saving animals.
How do vegans save animals? I guess there are those animal sanctuaries, but beyond that I'm not sure how anybody is saving animals.
#24 Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't recall saying veganism is "a diet", I was speaking of plant-based diets which are very similar to the way vegans eat.
How does it pertain to the topic?

Quote:
How do vegans save animals? I guess there are those animal sanctuaries, but beyond that I'm not sure how anybody is saving animals.
I wrote focus, not do.

Last edited by cobalamin; 07-22-2014 at 04:28 AM.
#25 Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
How does it pertain to the topic?
"I was speaking of plant-based diets which are very similar to the way vegans eat."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page