Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Azuriah Cannon
  • 1 Post By cobalamin
  • 1 Post By Diana
  • 1 Post By lavender phase
  • 2 Post By KyKy

#1 Old 01-31-2014, 11:35 PM

I have asked this same question on yahoo answers. Within 4 hours, I had 12 answers all by meat eaters bashing me when I said no meat eaters please! The answers were ridiculous such as "I'm too busy skinning a live cat to answer your question". Really? What is this world coming too? Well I hope I get better answers in this community of understanding veggies!

I hate when people are always shoving their beliefs down my throat. They say the stupidest things. "Plants have feelings too. Stop the abuse. Eat a lamb." Grrrrr! I live in a small cowboy town and everybody here hunts and don't care about living creatures. I want them to leave me alone. Some of these people are (with all due respect) stupid and say stupid things. I want to be able to eat a veggie burger in peace! I showed someone in my class a video of a cow farm and it showed a worker STOMPING on a cows head! He just said: "Who cares, animals are stupid, they don't have feelings! 

I hate living here where people think like this... HELP!!! How do I deal with this!?

I feel like a pink flower in a whole field of blue flowers...

khadijah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuriah Cannon View Post

Sounds more like a pink flower in a field of dead shriveled thorns.

These people suck, and a lot of it comes from their insecurity.  They know they're wrong, so they feel compelled to attack your position because it makes them feel better about themselves.

I think you need to either start confronting them, or maybe move out of that situation (can you move to another city where people aren't as dumb?).

If you just stay quiet and deal with it, the resentment will build, and that's not healthy.

If you want, we can help you come up with comebacks to confront them, or give you suggestions on where you can move :)

#3 Old 02-02-2014, 06:02 AM

Sounds rough. My husband is vegetarian too, and his coworkers poke fun at him often. I, luckily, very rarely receive negative feedback. Unfortunately I don't get much positive feedback either. I know of one vegan that I work with and no vegetarians that I know of. This is out of about 100 EMTs that I work with! Honestly I wish it didn't effect me but I am disheartened everytime someone eats meat, talks about eating meat, talks about hunting etc., around me. It's rough having views that are out of place. If I thought anyone would be fazed and were generally more ballsy I'd put some leaflets here and there around our bases smiley.gif wouldn't go well though, I'm sure. If only everyone really knew and cared to learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 AM

My own sister harasses me, she has always been a big meat eater. She is only thirteen so I understand that she doesn't quite understand how her comments hurt me. She often makes jokes at my expense and eats meat in front of me whilst making comments like, 'mmm pig is so delicious' just to get a reaction from me. I stay calm and explain that the animal she is eating has had no choice but to give their life just to nourish her body, and that she should feel great respect towards it for that. I try my hardest not to start preaching about the cruelty animals endure and respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinions but sometimes it's hard not to get angry with her. Try to understand that some people are ignorant and don't feel the same respect towards animals as we do. I don't make it known that I'm a vegetarian but if someone asks me my reasons for not eating meat, I simply say that I don't like it rather than my real reasons, as it doesn't leave me open to insults or further questioning.

#5 Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Summerr11, I wouldn't be surprised if your little sister went veg herself in the future. It's often the ones who defend meat eating and make the jokes the loudest who are realizing the truth of all the death. They are trying to drown out the confusion they feel.
#6 Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Summerr11, I wouldn't be surprised if your little sister went veg herself in the future. It's often the ones who defend meat eating and make the jokes the loudest who are realizing the truth of all the death. They are trying to drown out the confusion they feel.

I highly doubt it, she is so adamant that not eating meat is bad for me. She has tried a few meals that I have cooked using meat replacements but told me that they tasted 'gross' and  would taste so much better if I used the real thing. She wouldn't be able to cope as a vegetarian anyway; she doesn't like a lot of vegetables and refuses to even touch a nut. I don't think she even understands that the meat she eats was once a living animal with feelings and emotions.

#7 Old 02-02-2014, 01:15 PM

summerr11,

Have you shown your sister any videos of animal slaughter?

She's old enough to know what's going on.

She's rationalizing, and trying to make light of it with jokes- it's a coping mechanism.

Sometimes actually seeing something will snap her out of it.

Don't ask her or tell her to watch- instead, dare her.  Bet her a pound (or whatever amount of money is meaningful) that she can't watch it all the way through without saying anything (make sure she's quiet the whole time, or she doesn't get the money).

Make sure it's a pretty small amount of money- try to make it all about ego (that she can't do it).  The smaller amount of money, the better the effect will be. 

She'll watch it through, and pretend it didn't bother her.

Leave right away after she watches it (after giving her the cash).  Don't give her the chance to say anything about it to you.  That will force her to process it.

If she speaks and starts making jokes about it, that will prevent her from processing what she saw.

#8 Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

These people dont sound to bright. They are just trying to get a rise out of  you.  Hang in there. I have the same problem here. I  had an idoit here tell me its just a stupid donkey let it die. Seriously, I want to smack him. People just dont get it. 

#9 Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Hello Azuriah Cannon,

When people are been Rude and Anti Vegan,it is because secretly, they feel Afraid, Angry or Anxious.Vegan conspiracy theories to them often sound convincing until you stop to reflect on human nature.These people are disorganised, argumentative and unco-operative. They are bad enough in small groups - and in large organisations they are too busy undermining each other to uphold any consistent reality of Veganism. Ignorance is not bliss, it is trouble waiting to happen.These people like to think they believe in free speech dislike it, when they encounter it ? I know this anti vegan slurry hurts,so too does a visit to the dentist. Stay Vegan prove them wrong;

STAY HAPPY

#10 Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

Animals need to eat plants to grow. So.. meat eaters commit double murder. :p

veggie man likes this.
#11 Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post

Animals need to eat plants to grow. So.. meat eaters commit double murder. :p

He who slaughters an ox is like him who kills a man.
Isaiah 66:3 

:)

#12 Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM

I feel your pain..I dont understand how someone can be so against a compassionate lifestyle. Its surprising how many people know hardly anything about it.. but if you TRY to explain and teach them, you get called preachy. I am the only vegan I know in real life. Sometimes I feel SO alone. I get really depressed about the fact that what happens to animals is even allowed, and that all my friends and family think its perfectly fine.  :-/

#13 Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman10 View Post

When people are been Rude and Anti Vegan,it is because secretly, they feel Afraid, Angry or Anxious.

Incorrect. Some people truly believe that animals are resources for humans and that non human animals are inferior to human animals. Some truly believe that non human animals do not feel emotions, or if they do, it doesn't matter because this is all part of the "food chain". 

Vegans often give the message that they are more enlightened than other people and in this case vegans give the impression (and sometimes they really believe this) that they are superior to other people.

To the OP : I would suggest that you grow a thick skin and remember that everyone is responsible for their own reactions and emotions. If you choose not to react to other people's ridiculous comments, they will stop, or at least lessen. As long as you allow your buttons to be pushed, people will continue pushing them.

veggie man likes this.
#14 Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I think if people want to harass you it's because they want to harass you, and because they can. If you were another meat-eater but had red hair or were very short or had an accent from somewhere else, they'd probably be going for that instead. Teasing and bullying vegans doesn't necessarily come from a guilty conscience, though it can. I think it doesn't help a lot to try and assume anything about a harasser's deeper motives. If you could look deep into their minds, there's not always a lot of there in there.

You can take this on yourself or you can involve the people in charge where you work or go to school. You should be able to eat your lunch in peace! In general it does help to respect yourself and learn to project strength and confidence. People don't tease and harass their bosses so much, and there's a good reason for that. If all they get about you is your sensitivity and not your strength, you'll be a target. Some people get around this by going into occupations where they don't have to deal much with other people, or by leaving their home towns so they don't have to deal as often with mean relatives. Some get around it by developing skill in something that's admired where they live or work: sports, art, music, public speaking, whatever they like to do that has currency where they are. Or like being the one person in an office who knows Word and Excel inside and out, so that you're the one they come to with questions when they're in a bind.

For vegan questions, you could amass a whole bank of comebacks. This isn't too hard when you keep getting the same stupid comments and questions. If you're familiar with them all you can respond to them all, in whatever way seems to fit depending on the commenter. If you can anticipate that people are going to say "plants have feelings" you should be ready to shut that one down, and really to shut down all the tired and stupid comments you're getting over and over.

#15 Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 AM

Hello Diana,

I'm uncomfortable with your implication that life isn't as you wish,"Grow thick skin", it's like stop trying to be your true self and join the Army.Can you plese tell me your standard test for Enliightment as I no idea what your raving on about.

A quote for thought.

[I do feel that spiritual progress does demand at some stage that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodly wants]

#16 Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman10 View Post

Hello Diana,

I'm uncomfortable with your implication that life isn't as you wish

How can it be as you wish? Even the most rational person would agree that you can't control everything in your life.

A thick skin is perhaps not the term I should have used. Dumb expression. Thanks for pointing that out. Sounds like one is growing it to protect oneself. Because if one is really convinced of one's beliefs, one doesn't need a thick skin. If you are really convinced that what you are doing is right, it really doesn't matter if some idiot finds it amusing to waste their time teasing you.

Now... if someone started attacking me physically for my beliefs, that is where I would draw the line and I would attack them back. But some people (like Christians who are taught to turn the other cheek) may decide not to. That is where I say again that we are all responsible for our emotions and reactions. 

#17 Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 AM

Hello Diana,

Americans are proud of their constitution and particularly the emphasis it places on personal Freedom, yet some of the signatories were slave owners. Clearly, they never intended their definition of Liberty to extend that far. It seems it never crossed their minds. From our modern perspective, that is stunning ignorance and insensitivity. But thankfully, over time, many standards and Vegan attitudes can change. IN GOD WE TRUST.

STAY HAPPY:vebo:

#18 Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:

I have asked this same question on yahoo answers. Within 4 hours, I had 12 answers all by meat eaters bashing me when I said no meat eaters please! The answers were ridiculous such as "I'm too busy skinning a live cat to answer your question". Really? What is this world coming too? Well I hope I get better answers in this community of understanding veggies!

I hate when people are always shoving their beliefs down my throat. They say the stupidest things. "Plants have feelings too. Stop the abuse. Eat a lamb." Grrrrr! I live in a small cowboy town and everybody here hunts and don't care about living creatures. I want them to leave me alone. Some of these people are (with all due respect) stupid and say stupid things. I want to be able to eat a veggie burger in peace! I showed someone in my class a video of a cow farm and it showed a worker STOMPING on a cows head! He just said: "Who cares, animals are stupid, they don't have feelings! 

I hate living here where people think like this... HELP!!! How do I deal with this!?

I feel you pain.  I feel for you.  :wayne:

Where I live, you can do just about anything & nobody cares.  It seems that you live in a very narrow minded place.  People want to hassle you, just to hassle you?

You have to be you, & you don't have to conform to anybody's idea of who or what you should be.  That sounds great, but it might be harder to put into practice.  I would never compromise my principles, not for anybody.  You need to do what makes YOU happy.  Staying there, getting another job, whatever.  You only have one life, live it with your best interests in mind.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#19 Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Tell them to kiss your smelly, unwiped...@, uh, armpit. Yeah, that's it. Armpit.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#20 Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

@Purpheeheehee! smiley.gif
Purp likes this.
#21 Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I've always dealt with rude people who talk about how they dislike my eating habits and how unhealthy it is for me(when they haven't eaten a fruit in a month) in the same manor. "My eating has nothing to do with you. If it's so gross and unhealthy then let me be. It won't affect you". Now with people who understood me an cracked a joke about my nutrition or veg*n food who didn't mean anything by it were ok. I have a problem when they are serious with their comments.

#22 Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Beanitarian

Say, "It's rude to make such remarks. I am wondering what it is inside of you that leads you to behave this way. Why do you have such an emotional response to me eating vegetables and grains?"

Say it with the italics. ;)

Beanitarian.
#23 Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM

I feel you there. I live in a redneck, farming town and I get mocked openly for being vegan. I used to laugh and ignore it, but now I just point out that I don't bother them for eating meat, so why are they bothering me? Just tell them it is your choice to make, not theirs. If the mocking continues just walk away. 

When I was in high school I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian and the lunch ladies would all roll their eyes at me when I came through the line and grabbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead of a hamburger. A teacher called me an idiot in front of the whole class. It didn't help that I was bullied for other things too. I just kept to myself because these are the type of people you just can't convince to see your side.

lanarainbow and urunimi like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page