I want to go from veggie to vegan, but it seems like an insurmountable challenge. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
holnrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 467

I've dabbled before, knowing it's the right thing to do,  but now I've got to the point where I can't accept that being vegetarian is enough.

 

Around last week I realised that the thoughts I was having about eggs and dairy was exactly the kind of thoughts I had about meat; that there's no way I can justify it and the taste and habit is a pathetic excuse.

 

I'm a bit stressed out at the moment, so it would probably best wait until the new year anyway, but I feel so guilty. I don't really know what I actually want help with, I suppose I'm just getting things out there, and asking for advice and support.

 

I'll come back when I have something more coherent to say!

holnrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM
 
ponyboy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 942
I think a lot of people go through the same thoughts. I agree with what you are saying, if you want to be moral consistent and believe that animals have rights then adopting a vegan way of life is the only way to go.

If you have any questions or issues please ask away.
ponyboy85 is offline  
#3 Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
holnrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 467

It's amazing how many things  I like to eat have dairy in them, even as flavouring. I need to eat much more healthily though, so I could do with cutting a lot of **** out.

 

My other half is veggie too and is kind of at the denial stage about dairy and egg farming practices being as bad as meat farming. But I do all the shopping and cooking, so it shouldn't be so much of a problem. It's just a question of motivation and doing it right.

holnrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 AM
Vegan Police Officer
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,211

You're 90% there. That's a good start.

 

You mention much of the food that you like that has eggs or dairy. This leads me to think that you are talking about processed food, ready-made-food.

 

Going vegan requires one to consider one's food differently. To learn how to cook new foodstuffs and discover new recipes and flavours and textures. You can't stay stuck in the old way of cooking and eating.

 

You have to forment a revolution in your heart and mind and practice. 

ponyboy85 likes this.
Diana is offline  
#5 Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 AM
 
ponyboy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 942
Agree with Diana.

At first it seems very daunting but if you think about what the animals go through and realise who easy it is and how delicious the food is it really is an amazing decision to make.
ponyboy85 is offline  
#6 Old 12-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
holnrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 467

Yes my diet is awful. It affects my energy levels and moods, but eating better requires energy and motivation! I would almost say I have an eating disorder, binging on terrible, processed, salty, fatty, and sugary foods. I want to stop that but it's like an addiction. I think that is what's causing it to seem so difficult.

 

I suppose it's more a matter of becoming healthy rather than vegan. Giving up all animal products is acctually going to be quite easy, tackling the other thing is very daunting indeed.

Tom likes this.
holnrew is offline  
#7 Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: banned
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post
 

Yes my diet is awful. It affects my energy levels and moods, but eating better requires energy and motivation! I would almost say I have an eating disorder, binging on terrible, processed, salty, fatty, and sugary foods. I want to stop that but it's like an addiction. I think that is what's causing it to seem so difficult.

 

I suppose it's more a matter of becoming healthy rather than vegan. Giving up all animal products is acctually going to be quite easy, tackling the other thing is very daunting indeed.

 

i don't know where you live but there are plenty of salty, fatty, and sugary vegan foods. in fact, it's relatively easy in the usa to find acceptable vegan cognates for just about any standard american diet food product:

 

http://www.peta.org/living/food/favorite-products/

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

 

and logic's least favorite vegan blog:

http://www.laziestvegans.com/

 

my recommendation is to actively avoid switching to a diet of kale, chia-seed porridge, kale, spirulina green smoothies, and kale. just veganize your current diet (gradually) and as your tastebuds adjust a healthier diet will be an easy and fun proposition.

unethicalvegan is offline  
#8 Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
holnrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post
 

 

i don't know where you live but there are plenty of salty, fatty, and sugary vegan foods. in fact, it's relatively easy in the usa to find acceptable vegan cognates for just about any standard american diet food product:

 

http://www.peta.org/living/food/favorite-products/

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

 

and logic's least favorite vegan blog:

http://www.laziestvegans.com/

 

my recommendation is to actively avoid switching to a diet of kale, chia-seed porridge, kale, spirulina green smoothies, and kale. just veganize your current diet (gradually) and as your tastebuds adjust a healthier diet will be an easy and fun proposition.

 

I'm in the UK, it's not amazing for well priced vegan meat analogues. There are a decent amount of snack foods though. Chocolate is another matter.

holnrew is offline  
#9 Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Linnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post
 

 

I'm in the UK, it's not amazing for well priced vegan meat analogues. There are a decent amount of snack foods though. Chocolate is another matter.

 

My favorite Vegan snack food is Annie's 'Boom Chicka Pop - Sea Salt Popcorn'. It's only 35 calories a cup and is soooo yummy!

 

http://angiespopcorn.com/project/sea-salt-popcorn/

 

For dark chocolate I really like various bars made by Endangered Species Chocolate. Not all of their bars are Vegan, but the link below lists only Vegan chocolate.

 

http://chocolatebar.com/search.php?search_query=vegan&x=13&y=15

 

 I don't know if these products are in your area, but if they are they are worth a try! :popcorn: 

Linnie is offline  
#10 Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 PM
 
JanuaryBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24

Maybe pick a few new recipes to cook each week (one or two is plenty).  you can even double each recipe and freeze leftovers so that you have it for later.  My two easy favs are vegetarian chili and red lentil soup (There are millions of recipes online for both).   Learning to cook was really empowering for me.  Once you start to cook more (sounds like you're not a big cook now?)  it will get easier.  I was a vegetarian for several years before going vegan 4 months ago.  I cooked a lot, often vegan meals.  so when it was time to transition to vegan, it was more seamless.  I just had to find substitutes for things as them came up-- like hummus instead of cream cheese, tofu salad with veganase instead of egg salad, etc.

 

maybe for now just focus on eating more veggies and cooking more vegan meals?  step by step :)

JanuaryBlue is offline  
#11 Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post
 

Yes my diet is awful. It affects my energy levels and moods, but eating better requires energy and motivation! I would almost say I have an eating disorder, binging on terrible, processed, salty, fatty, and sugary foods. I want to stop that but it's like an addiction. I think that is what's causing it to seem so difficult.

 

I suppose it's more a matter of becoming healthy rather than vegan. Giving up all animal products is acctually going to be quite easy, tackling the other thing is very daunting indeed.

Your health is important too; there's no reason why you shouldn't show yourself at least the same compassion as you show animals when you refuse to exploit them.

 

If it makes it easier for you to make the transition gradually, do it that way; becaome acquainted with new, vegan, healthier foods as you drop the nonvegan foods. Most of the foods I have eaten which aren't healthy aren't vegan either. I really do think the jump to vegan is harder than going vegetarian, and if it seems that way to you, it may take you longer than going vegetarian did. Persevere, and you'll get there- and it won't seem as difficult as it does now!


Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Tom is offline  
#12 Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 AM
 
roflysst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 57

I'm in the UK too. Home cooking is really the easiest, cheapest and healthiest way to go Vegan. If you're worried about time and effort make loads of soups, curries and stir-frys to start with. You can make enough soup/curry for a few days in an about an hour or less. Stir-frys only take a few minutes.

 

Mini Moos and Ombars are chocolate that's suitable for vegans and I know Co-op supermarket usually stocks them if not, try buying them online (I think amazon sells them). And NAKD bars are vegan. If you like popcorn I think Tesco usually stock some good ones in snack packs, or buy a cheap popcorn maker and make your own :)

roflysst is offline  
#13 Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM
 
Veggie3112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I really want to go vegan, because it hurts to know what animals go through. I'm a college student and i'm struggling to make ends meet. Buying and preparing vegan food is just so time consuming. Maybe I should just go vegan when I'm out of school or atleast in my own house. I just feel so bad

Veggie3112 is offline  
#14 Old 01-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie3112 View Post

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I really want to go vegan, because it hurts to know what animals go through. I'm a college student and i'm struggling to make ends meet. Buying and preparing vegan food is just so time consuming. Maybe I should just go vegan when I'm out of school or atleast in my own house. I just feel so bad

People can only do what they can at different stages of life. You could help by eating less meat -- make a veggie choice when it's available, like meatless pizza, grilled cheese instead of cheeseburger, etc. Small changes aren't hard and do make a difference. smiley.gif
LedBoots is offline  
#15 Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM
 
Veggie3112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post


People can only do what they can at different stages of life. You could help by eating less meat -- make a veggie choice when it's available, like meatless pizza, grilled cheese instead of cheeseburger, etc. Small changes aren't hard and do make a difference. smiley.gif


Yeah I understand I've been a a vegetarian for a year and my plan for 2014 was to go vegan but I guess I'll have to put that on hold. I'll probably give up cheese and egg this year. I don't drink milk, I just have a greek yogurt every morning

Veggie3112 is offline  
#16 Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Vegan Police Officer
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie3112 View Post
 


I just have a greek yogurt every morning

There are some great vegan yogurts out there. I don't know where you live, but even where I live, which is a pretty non-vegan friendly country, one can buy them in any supermarket.

Diana is offline  
#17 Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
 

There are some great vegan yogurts out there. I don't know where you live, but even where I live, which is a pretty non-vegan friendly country, one can buy them in any supermarket.

 

Alpro is available in the UK

 

http://www.alpro.com/uk/yoghurt-alternative

 

Tesco do some nice Free From desserts - check labels as some (the lemon dessert for example) have eggs in them.

 

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271834174 - Chocolate

 

EDITED TO ADD:

 

I forgot about Provamel!

 

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/CDAY-Soya_Yogurt___Fromage_Frais.html

60225 is offline  
#18 Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM
 
supermodified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South West England
Posts: 13

hey Holnrew

 

At least 3 Brits on the thread and no one has mentioned beer yet!! Our reputation will be in tatters.

If you do drink you are restricted on beer and wine due to some filtering processes (isinglass) but still plenty of fine vegan beer about (Trappiste ales like Chimay and Rochefort)

 

 I'm in full agreement with Tom in thinking it is more difficult to transition from veggie to vegan than from omni to veggie. Whilst all the excellent advice above is helpful in what to eat, how to cook it, and where to source ingredients from, it's restricts the issue a bit.

 

 Learning to cook is fun, (even the mistakes - the teaspoon/tablespoon confusion) and it means you can satisfy any dietary requirements at home..if all you do is eat at home. Out and about is a whole different ball game.

 

As a veggie you can get a decent variety of food pretty much worldwide (within reason). Vegan food seems a step too far people however. I travel quite a bit for conferences and even in major cities in developed world countries it takes some planing to ensure that there are plenty of places for me to eat. I do find though that if going to a restaurant, phone ahead and speak to the chef and often they can be quite accommodating.

 

 

oh, and grab a copy of the Animal Free Shopper. It's pocket sized, relatively comprehensive and invaluable in supermarkets. In fact, is there an app version of this? if not there should be.

 

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to try. As Tom mentioned above, take it gradually. It's not a race, there's no deadlines, and like all of us you do what you can.


I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
supermodified is offline  
#19 Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodified View Post

 

At least 3 Brits on the thread and no one has mentioned beer yet!! Our reputation will be in tatters.

 

 

I'm not a beer drinker, that's why!

 

I can, however, recommend Co-op cava if you like a bit of fizz or Thatchers/Brothers if you like cider :)

60225 is offline  
#20 Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: banned
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodified View Post

 

If you do drink you are restricted on beer and wine due to some filtering processes (isinglass)

 

 

I just want to point out that a lot of vegans ignore isinglass, bone char sugar/rubber, dough conditioners, vegetable coatings, natural ingredients etc. The quantities of animal product are minute and it's often difficult to determine if they are being used. (Barnivore is often hopelessly out of date.)

unethicalvegan is offline  
#21 Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodified View Post

 

If you do drink you are restricted on beer and wine due to some filtering processes (isinglass)

 

 

I just want to point out that a lot of vegans ignore isinglass, bone char sugar/rubber, dough conditioners, vegetable coatings, natural ingredients etc. The quantities of animal product are minute and it's often difficult to determine if they are being used. (Barnivore is often hopelessly out of date.)

This. I do what I can.
LedBoots is offline  
#22 Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Bracing for snow
 
ilikekale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post

I've dabbled before, knowing it's the right thing to do,  but now I've got to the point where I can't accept that being vegetarian is enough.

Around last week I realised that the thoughts I was having about eggs and dairy was exactly the kind of thoughts I had about meat; that there's no way I can justify it and the taste and habit is a pathetic excuse.

You know, going in I thought I was going to have similar thoughts. But I just decided to give it a go. No stopping at vegetarian, straight to vegan. Honestly, it's been no big deal. No serious "cravings" or anything.

I'd say, if you want to do it, just do it.

Ken
ilikekale is offline  
#23 Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM
 
ADarkDraconis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canton, Ohio, USA
Posts: 47
I have been a vegetarian for many years, don't drink milk or use butter because I never liked them but had the occasional cheese or ice cream, or a product with egg. I recently found out about the dairy and egg industry and now my brother and I are going vegan together. It's going to take some getting used to I think, but I think it will be great and you just do what you can. smiley.gif
ADarkDraconis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off